Brady Quinn to start for Cleveland

bills44

Actually it was very smart....... Denver has one of the worst D's in the league. Allow Anderson to QB and a good game and Quinn is anchored to the bench again. This is the perfect place to start Quinn and I expect he'll look good like everyone does against Denver (except Russell).

Much like everyone completing 70% vs. Buffalo and San Diego.

Could be, or he could flop under the stress of a short week of prep and in front of the home fans.

If we judged our very own Trent Edwards on 2 games, he'd be on the bench too.

Much more went into the decision than two games. Anderson has been awful for much of this season, and he was very inconsistent last year as well. This year he has the the lowest passer rating of anyone with 200 attempts (barely ahead of JaMarcus Russell) he's thrown just 9 TD passes after tossing 29 last year, and his completion % is under 50%.

If you look at the games against the AFC North opponents, outside of one decent performance against Cincy, he's been especially brutal in-division.

You say "hindsight," but again you're missing the point. At the time they negotiated a new deal for Anderson, the obvious front office question was "Do we trade Anderson now while his value is high, or do we give Anderson $8M/year. And if we choose the latter, are we ready to commit the next few years exclusively to him, for better or worse? And if we do, what do we do with Quinn?"

Unfortunately, that's not what they did. They banked on the fact that Anderson would make another run this year, meaning they could probably unload Quinn and his $7.5M/year contract this next offseason. They handled the situation wrong, and you didn't need to rely on hindsight to see that coming.

:thumbsup:

Good thing Holmgren didn't bench Brett Favre after a brain fart (or 20).

Favre>>>>>>>>>>>>Anderson.

Favre>>>>>>>>>>>>Anderson.

Actually, Favre has made plenty of truly awful plays over his career. He's made some great ones as well.

As far as Anderson, I listened to Crennel talking about Anderson. Basically, the "hand off" to Suggs was a sloppy terrible play. But, there are a lot of other factors going on as well. The Browns receiving corps leads the league in drops, the running game hasn't been as effective, the defense isn't doing well. Crennel isn't a fan and he didn't lay all of the blame at the feet of Anderson. He said Anderson needed to play better, but wasn't doing badly either. Now the fans and media see the Golden Dome kid standing on the sideline, so their sights are leveled right at Anderson's chest and they're pulling the trigger after every mistake and every loss. Romeo decided to appeal to the mob, apparently. Unless the rest of the team suddenly starts playing better, it won't matter.

Actually, Favre has made plenty of truly awful plays over his career. He's made some great ones as well.

Favre's success gives him a lot of leeway for a lot of bonehead plays. Anderson doesn't have that benefit - he has one so-so year under his belt, no playoff appearances, nothing.

As far as Anderson, I listened to Crennel talking about Anderson. Basically, the "hand off" to Suggs was a sloppy terrible play. But, there are a lot of other factors going on as well. The Browns receiving corps leads the league in drops, the running game hasn't been as effective, the defense isn't doing well. Crennel isn't a fan and he didn't lay all of the blame at the feet of Anderson. He said Anderson needed to play better, but wasn't doing badly either. Now the fans and media see the Golden Dome kid standing on the sideline, so their sights are leveled right at Anderson's chest and they're pulling the trigger after every mistake and every loss. Romeo decided to appeal to the mob, apparently. Unless the rest of the team suddenly starts playing better, it won't matter.

I don't disagree that there are other factors contributing to the Browns lack of success, and of course it doesn't rest solely on Anderson's shoulders. Braylon Edwards has been bad; they've had a banged-up O-Line that has struggled at times; Donte Stallworth can't stay healthy and/or get on the field; the defense, despite all the upgrades, hasn't improved much, if at all; and Jurevicious won't play at all this year. All that aside, that doesn't excuse how poorly Anderson has played or how bad the offense has been under his guidance this year, and being in Cleveland, I've seen most of this year's games. He's been bad, he's been inconsistent, and he's let his frustrations boil over, having to be been separated from teammates on the sidelines during games (at least twice that I've seen.)

But are you surprised at what Crennel said? He just demoted the guy - only a jackass would run to the media and count off the ways that Andersen sucked and throw him under the bus. He tried to limit the damage and keep his backup QB's psyche intact and keep his locker room from fracturing.

But are you surprised at what Crennel said? He just demoted the guy - only a jackass would run to the media and count off the ways that Andersen sucked and throw him under the bus. He tried to limit the damage and keep his backup QB's psyche intact and keep his locker room from fracturing.

No, not surprised. Anderson is a part of the problem but at the time I heard the interview Anderson was still the starter. I think Romeo may be of one opinion but his offensive staff wanted to go in another direction. I don't think Romeo was trying to be anything but honest, frankly.

No, not surprised. Anderson is a part of the problem but at the time I heard the interview Anderson was still the starter. I think Romeo may be of one opinion but his offensive staff wanted to go in another direction. I don't think Romeo was trying to be anything but honest, frankly.

There is a lot of speculation in the local media that since the move is so out of character for RAC, the order must have come down from the GM (or higher). Apparently the offensive staff was disappointed with the move but didn't try to talk RAC out of it.

You say "hindsight," but again you're missing the point. At the time they negotiated a new deal for Anderson, the obvious front office question was "Do we trade Anderson now while his value is high, or do we give Anderson $8M/year. And if we choose the latter, are we ready to commit the next few years exclusively to him, for better or worse? And if we do, what do we do with Quinn?"

Unfortunately, that's not what they did. They banked on the fact that Anderson would make another run this year, meaning they could probably unload Quinn and his $7.5M/year contract this next offseason. They handled the situation wrong, and you didn't need to rely on hindsight to see that coming.

So what you're saying is that even though he played well last year, they should have anticipated him not playing well this year?

So what you're saying is that even though he played well last year, they should have anticipated him not playing well this year?

Fact of life: because of where I live, I see lots of CLE games. Anderson was figured out as last season wore on...

He seems a decent fellow. He's had receiver problems this season. But I don't see him as a qb by force of personal will that can forge a win.

I recall a game, when on the sidelines, the idiot Braylon Edwards gave him a shove. Anderson should have smacked him hard, flailed at him regardless of final outcome.

If you are the Captain of the ship, you don't brook any such insubordination. Ever.

There is a lot of speculation in the local media that since the move is so out of character for RAC, the order must have come down from the GM (or higher). Apparently the offensive staff was disappointed with the move but didn't try to talk RAC out of it.

Entirely possible. Wouldn't be the first time upper management has ever made a QB change, would it?

No. Its a matter of picking one of them to be the future starter and sticking with them, and not playing musical circle jerk with your QBs like some franchises do. Cleveland's front office had to decide whether they wanted Anderson starting for the next 3 years, and 1st rounder Quinn sitting the bench for the next 3 years. With Quinn being a 1st rounder, he was going to start sooner or later, and wasn't going to sit the bench forever. (This isnt a favre/rogers situation, because Anderson is only 25). They had 2 choices:

1. If the answer was that they wanted to get Quinn in there to start sooner or later, they should have not paid anderson 8 million per season and should have traded him for max value, which was fairly high. They would have pulled in quite a haul of picks for him.

2. If they decided they wanted Anderson to be their starter, they should have signed him for longer than 3 years and decided he was the QB of the future. They should have then looked for trde partners for Quinn. (KC was rumored to have been ready to give a boatload of picks for Quinn back in september)

Cleveland tried to be cute and keep them both, and it came back to bite them in the ass. Anderson now is virtually untradeable, because even though some team would probably toss a 3rd or maybe a 2nd rounder for him, no one is going to take on his 8 million per year salary.

I recall a game, when on the sidelines, the idiot Braylon Edwards gave him a shove. Anderson should have smacked him hard, flailed at him regardless of final outcome.

If you are the Captain of the ship, you don't brook any such insubordination. Ever.

I would have shoved Anderson as well. DA chased him around the sidelines chirping at him, with Jamal Lewis following DA and trying to calm him down. Edwards finally had enough.

And as I mentioned earlier - it's not the only confrontation between DA and a WR on the Browns' sideline this year. I think he got after one of the rookies and had to be pulled away by an assistant coach.

Entirely possible. Wouldn't be the first time upper management has ever made a QB change, would it?

True - I think we've heard that song before. :blink:

I would have shoved Anderson as well. DA chased him around the sidelines chirping at him, with Jamal Lewis following DA and trying to calm him down. Edwards finally had enough.

And as I mentioned earlier - it's not the only confrontation between DA and a WR on the Browns' sideline this year. I think he got after one of the rookies and had to be pulled away by an assistant coach.

Really? Didn't realize that...live and learn... :oops:

Thanks for the 'fo. That would fit the tone of what I heard just as easily.