WHEN WILL DONTE WHITNER MAKE A PLAY

We all have heard the talk from Donte Whitner and know he is a great leader. I feel for all of the blame that has been tossed around to McGee, McKelvin and Ko Simpson, some of it should be passed to the Whitner. Can anyone remeber when he made a game changing interception or forced fumble (a la Ed Reed)? The two biggest plays I can think of this year are him chasing down Johnny Lee Higgins and Ted Ginn after a 60 yard reception...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Whitner, and I know that he'd been at SS until yesterday's game, but still -- the dude is definitely not what I'd call a "playmaker".

He indirectly threw Losman under the bus for the AZ loss (another game in which the defense looked totally hapless). Who is he going to blame for yesterday's game?

I definitely don't remember a non-QB Bill who was defended against any criticism so vigorously by so many.

I continue to be reminded of Henry Jones: Great locker room guy, ok player, and no aspect of his game really stands out. Actually that's a pretty generous comparison since Jones was at least a very good cover guy at times.

I don't know if he would've made a play on Ginn if Mitchell didn't get him from behind (he got juked out of his jock). The Ricky Williams TD was also puzzling as he was standing in the endzone seemingly unblocked.

Maybe those of us critics just have unrealistic expectations if we're not comforted by the fact that the Safety from Texas/Oakland sucks.

We all have heard the talk from Donte Whitner and know he is a great leader. I feel for all of the blame that has been tossed around to McGee, McKelvin and Ko Simpson, some of it should be passed to the Whitner. Can anyone remeber when he made a game changing interception or forced fumble (a la Ed Reed)? The two biggest plays I can think of this year are him chasing down Johnny Lee Higgins and Ted Ginn after a 60 yard reception...

I have been asking this question since we drafted him. Good kid, above average player, but not a Pro Bowler/Difference Maker. To be honest, Modrak has had many opportunities in the Top 3rd of the first round and he has yet to deliver an elite player to the Bills roster, with maybe the exception of Lee Evans. Mike Williams/JP Losman/Whitner/McCargo/McKelvin, basically nothing special with three bonafide busts. I won't add Lynch to this list until he gets the opportunity to carry 25 to 30 a game and the team finds a free agent or two to plug the middle of the dike. However, it still hunts me that the Vikings were expecting us to call when AP was a board that year and we never explored that opportunity.

I have been asking this question since we drafted him. Good kid, above average player, but not a Pro Bowler/Difference Maker. To be honest, Modrak has had many opportunities in the Top 3rd of the first round and he has yet to deliver an elite player to the Bills roster, with maybe the exception of Lee Evans. Mike Williams/JP Losman/Whitner/McCargo/McKelvin, basically nothing special with three bonafide busts. I won't add Lynch to this list until he gets the opportunity to carry 25 to 30 a game and the team finds a free agent or two to plug the middle of the dike. However, it still hunts me that the Vikings were expecting us to call when AP was a board that year and we never explored that opportunity.

Bingo... I haven't seen him change a game since his first or second start with his INT and his PD in the end zone. Since then he's been in prevent mode.

Bingo... I haven't seen him change a game since his first or second start with his INT and his PD in the end zone. Since then he's been in prevent mode.

anyone else remeber last year against the giants when jacobs had that 46 yd td run to take the lead with the playoffs on the line ... who was the last guy to ole the tackle...donte whitner

I definitely don't remember a non-QB Bill who was defended against any criticism so vigorously by so many.

I continue to be reminded of Henry Jones: Great locker room guy, ok player, and no aspect of his game really stands out. Actually that's a pretty generous comparison since Jones was at least a very good cover guy at times.

I don't know if he would've made a play on Ginn if Mitchell didn't get him from behind (he got juked out of his jock). The Ricky Williams TD was also puzzling as he was standing in the endzone seemingly unblocked.

Maybe those of us critics just have unrealistic expectations if we're not comforted by the fact that the Safety from Texas/Oakland sucks.

Here's your answer...

When someone is drafted highly people will automatically defend them for at least 3 years. Sometimes players turn it around, e.g. Youbouty, but usually when they turn it around they still aren't worth all the protection they get from the fans.

BTW, Jones had some clutch INTs in the secondary. I wish I could say the same. McGee and Greer have been above average in coverage this year, but with McGee hurt I don't expect much in the future.

anyone else remeber last year against the giants when jacobs had that 46 yd td run to take the lead with the playoffs on the line ... who was the last guy to ole the tackle...donte whitner

actually, i don't even think he whiffed on him .. jacobs outran him iirc

Why blame Whitner? He is a versatile, solid while not spectacular player who in his first 3 years was used more in a deep coverage role; not put in position to make plays. With that being said, I think the addition of Scott at SS and moving Whitner to FS will make the D more stiffeling once Schoebel, McGee, and Youbouty get back at full strength as Scott is a PLAYER! He has definitely has made way more plays than Whitner at SS the past 2 years when giving a chance to play. The fact that Whitner is versatile and more of a factor against the run than Ko Simpson would give an upgrade. If the DB's can get healthy and the D is unleashed and allowed to blitz more and take chances then watch out!

On the play when Ricky Williams took the short pass and ran through half the defense, wasn't it DW who fought through a block to make a TD saving tackle?

Why blame Whitner?

Evidently, he's the only top ten draft pick in NFL history to not be a sure fire HOFer.

Why blame Whitner? He is a versatile, solid while not spectacular player who in his first 3 years was used more in a deep coverage role; not put in position to make plays. With that being said, I think the addition of Scott at SS and moving Whitner to FS will make the D more stiffeling once Schoebel, McGee, and Youbouty get back at full strength as Scott is a PLAYER! He has definitely has made way more plays than Whitner at SS the past 2 years when giving a chance to play. The fact that Whitner is versatile and more of a factor against the run than Ko Simpson would give an upgrade. If the DB's can get healthy and the D is unleashed and allowed to blitz more and take chances then watch out!

come on now...even when schobel was healthy the pass rush wasnt very good i.e arizona, or basically every game except seattle...

i believe someone earlier said the key to winning football games and being a great football team is being able to run the ball consistently and rush the passer, niether of which we do

Otherwise, you're just Tim Mckyer.

For only having 12 posts thus far, you made this one count!!! <_<

So let me get this straight, we're running Whitner out of town right now? Just wondering if I should start gathering wood to use as torches when we storm the castle.