Tony Greene

Tcali

Tony Greene currently lives down in MD. You are correct that T Greene and Jim were friends. Both Jim and Tony are close family friends. Jim died of lung cancer back in 1986. Tony still comes back into town every year, usually for the Bills Alumni weekend at the home opener. He is one of the funniest guys I have ever met!

A great player! I remember one game he played against the Eagles. He had to cover Harold Carmichael, who was about 8-12 inches taller. Carmichael had the consecutive catch string active at that time. He caught just one that day, Greene stopped the rest.

Where is he today??--He was a good friend of the late Jim Braxton I heard.

I'll do some googling...cuz I really don't know.

Loved watching the little guy play. Very talented.

he was an INT machine. not sure how he'd fare in the modern game. wasn't his bro donnie on the team at the time too? i recall him being a decent OTackle .... not as good as Tony, but not bad either

he was an INT machine. not sure how he'd fare in the modern game. wasn't his bro donnie on the team at the time too? i recall him being a decent OTackle .... not as good as Tony, but not bad either

Huh???

Donnie Green was 6' 8" and a O tackle with The Electric Co, clearing a path for OJ to gain 2000 yds.

Tony Greene was a smallish CB, at around 5' 9". Without looking it up, it'd guess he's 2nd behind Butch Byrd on the Bills all-time interception list.

No relation between Green and Greene.

Huh???

Donnie Green was 6' 8" and a O tackle with The Electric Co, clearing a path for OJ to gain 2000 yds.

Tony Greene was a smallish CB, at around 5' 9". Without looking it up, it'd guess he's 2nd behind Butch Byrd on the Bills all-time interception list.

No relation between Green and Greene.

Who else was part of the Electric Company besides Green and McKenzie?

The Electric Company is generally considered to have included guards Reggie McKenzie, and Joe DeLamielleure, tackles Donnie Green and Dave Foley, and center Mike Montler although Bruce Jarvis was also a center during the Electric Company years. Also included was former OL turned TE Paul Seymour. Seymour and Joe D were 1st round picks in the same draft. Seymour from Michigan, Joe D from Micigan State.

Tony Greene is one of those many players who've had distinguished pro careers but who are often lost as time passes and memory fades. Undersized (not physical like Antoine Winfield...more like Darrell Green or maybe Tyrone Poole), Greene played cornerback early in his career before being shifted to free safety. He played both positions well being an excellent man-to-man defender as well as a natural centerfielder at safety. He had excellent speed, quickness, and instincts.

During the 70's when we failed to beat the Miami Dolphins, Greene had an early interception that he returned 105 yards for a touchdown but the play was nullified by a Bills' penalty and Miami went on to win that game too.

I also remember him being 5'9" and he had a wispy build, probably around 160-165 pounds. I remember him wearing number 43. All speed and quickness, doesn't remind me of any current day DBs.

During the 70's when we failed to beat the Miami Dolphins, Greene had an early interception that he returned 105 yards for a touchdown but the play was nullified by a Bills' penalty and Miami went on to win that game too.

I don't remember that game specifically, but I'll take your word for it. Another Dolphin loss in the 70's that is included in 20 game Bills' losing streak involved Bills DE Pat Toomay, who recovered a 'Fin fumble, only to have the offical say the whistle had blown, or something to that effect. (help me here if you remember the story)

Anyway, it always seemed the Dolphins had the officials in their back pocket. Many fans thought it was no coincidence that Coach Don Shula served on the Rules commitee and was quite chummy with the league officials - the assumption being that his Dolphins sure seemed to get a lot of timely calls that went their way.

The Greene non-touchdown may have fallen into that category. Again, I don't recall that play or game. The Toomay recovery was a classic case of the Bills getting jobbed. I believe it would have allowed the Bills to run out the clock and preserve a win. I might be wrong, but I believe it would likely have led to a Bills' victory. Don't remember all the details.

This is a reminder as to why the Dolphins were so hated. They were smug and it seemed they were the NFLs little darling of the early 70's - sort of like the Patriots today.

Needless to say, it was sheer joy the day I sat in the upper deck at Rich Stadium in September 1980 for the home opener, when the curse was lifted and the evil Dolphins were finally defeated. In the following years, there would be many more Bills victories. For a while we owned Joe Robbie Stadium. After the new stadium opened, I think it was a few years before the Dolphins finally beat us there.

Thanks for bearing with me as I veered completely off track.

Go Bills!

I don't remember that game specifically, but I'll take your word for it. Another Dolphin loss in the 70's that is included in 20 game Bills' losing streak involved Bills DE Pat Toomay, who recovered a 'Fin fumble, only to have the offical say the whistle had blown, or something to that effect. (help me here if you remember the story)

Anyway, it always seemed the Dolphins had the officials in their back pocket. Many fans thought it was no coincidence that Coach Don Shula served on the Rules commitee and was quite chummy with the league officials - the assumption being that his Dolphins sure seemed to get a lot of timely calls that went their way.

The Greene non-touchdown may have fallen into that category. Again, I don't recall that play or game. The Toomay recovery was a classic case of the Bills getting jobbed. I believe it would have allowed the Bills to run out the clock and preserve a win. I might be wrong, but I believe it would likely have led to a Bills' victory. Don't remember all the details.

This is a reminder as to why the Dolphins were so hated. They were smug and it seemed they were the NFLs little darling of the early 70's - sort of like the Patriots today.

Needless to say, it was sheer joy the day I sat in the upper deck at Rich Stadium in September 1980 for the home opener, when the curse was lifted and the evil Dolphins were finally defeated. In the following years, there would be many more Bills victories. For a while we owned Joe Robbie Stadium. After the new stadium opened, I think it was a few years before the Dolphins finally beat us there.

Thanks for bearing with me as I veered completely off track.

Go Bills!

It was disgusting all the phantom holding calls that would come at worst times against Bills when playing Miami at that time. I even remember Ralph uncharacteristically throwing a hissy fit after one of those losses over the officiating. Shula was on the "competition committee" at that time and there was speculation the officials went out of their way to appease him. Something was very, umm, "fishy" back then, that's for sure. Oh well. one unnecessary roughness penalty that was indisputable yet worth it was when Mario Clark (who was big for a DB), picked that weirdo Mercury Morris up over his head and body slammed him.

:thumbsup: