Lock Up Trent Now '

Gasjuggler

I not too worried about getting Trent signed for an extension. As someone said above, elite QBs don't test the FA market. Eventually, he WILL get a ton of money. But, the urgency to extend him right now just isn't there. He isn't going anywhere, ever.

Now, I think we should sign Jackson to an extension BEFORE the end of the year. As I understand, Jackson is a RFA, therefore we have the right to match any offer. But,what is likely going to occur is that some lowly team, like Detroit or the Texans, is going to offer him a boat load of cash that we will not be able to match. So, if Jackson makes it to FA, he is likely gone. He is too valuable to our offense to let go.

If Fred Jackson is an RFA (and as a caveat, i dont know if he is), then you tender him at the 1st round level. If someone offers him a boatload of cash to be a starter, let him walk and take the 1st in exchange.

So, I love what I see from Trent, but for us to sign him to a monster contract I want to see him both stay healthy for a season and put together a great season, not just a string of 5 games.

All in all, I do think this kid is going to be special with my only concern being his durability.

I agree with this, but I will add that in addition to staying healthy (which is actually less of a concern for me as you can clearly see the benefits of the added muscle he put on in the offseason), I want to see more of him playing in the elements. I know this will likely get some people cranky, but his performance in wind and rain last year should be a concern of some magnitude, large or small. Part of that was the playcalling and part of that was the line, but I still want to see him do his thing this year with the improved line and better play calling.

Like I said, I'm sure people will start getting on me about this, but he needs the full season under his belt -- particularly in the crappy weather -- before he gets any cash.

(Note: Look, I know Manning and Anderson sucked in the cold, too, but the difference is, they won.)

no. make him earn it each week. when the 'boys dealt for r. williams they gave him an extension right away and i thought "how dumb"-now he has nothing to prove/earn/try for besides, you know, winning-you tell me what is more important to today's playas-$ or the wins. it's $

I think Trent Edwards will have to be signed sooner, as opposed to later. The difference between him and players like Rivers, is that Rivers signed for a large rookie contract due to his draft position. Edwards is making very little, and could demand more. If he does, the bills will have no option other than showing him the money.

You realize this is the NFL and not the NHL, right? You keep your franchise Quarterback until he's too old and becomes unproductive. That's how it works. IMO this thread should become closed if for no reason other than because it is a non-debatable issue as to whether or not he will be signed, and the debate over when he will be signed is as meaningless as the yards Edwards throws in each of the five games he's won.

it would be wise to wait and see if he can perform in cold/rain/snow - i mean what if he is below average in these conditions like he was last year