What we saw today

Dawgg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trent Edwards makes all the difference in the world for this team. Super accurate, doesn't turn the ball over and spreads the ball around.

That 3rd round pick alone was key to turning this franchise around.

Wo9w, you made a post about some other than female-dogging about the Whitner and McCargo picks??? Is this a typo???

The Pats* made a bunch of picks that looked questionable (Bethel Johnson and Chd Jackson in the 2nd, Maroney in the 1st). But when you strike gold with a QB later in the draft, it kinda cancels out a lot of perceived mistakes.

My only concern about trent is that Chad Pennington started out his career the same way. Very accurrate , smart, but average arm.

one arm injury and we are lookin at 25 yard "bombs" to coles al la jets 2005-07

You realize that Bills haven't been to the playoffs since 1999? If Edwards is Pennington (which he's not), I'd gladly take a QB who takes us to the playoffs 3 times and one AFC championship game.

Two of those turnovers came int he second half. The first came late int he first half. Would you say less fatigue/more rest was a factor in those three and outs and those turnovers?

If your team has TOP advantage, your defense generally is less fatigued. Less fatigue = better performance.

More TOP also keeps the offense opposing you off the field. They get cold. They don't get a chance to gain momentum or they lose momentum. The chances of them to get into a rhythm and effectively execute their game plan decrease.

I can see they got stops, but why did they get the stops? Better Gameplan? Better matchups?

My view is that they were simply less worn down.

Lets stop this rest fallacy......

Under Trent Edwards.....in the first half of games this season(prior to the Chargers game)....The offense has had 12 sustained or scoring drives..... compared to 15 - 4 n outs or less....thats not very good.....yet the "tired" Defense found a way to keep us close enough in those games so that Trent and the rest of the offense, could have a chance to get us back in and win games this year.....

In the Arizona game....the Bills offense had 3 of 4 sustained or scoring drives in the first half....they were "tired" because they couldnt find a way to get themselves off the field, not the other way around.....Arizona 2nd and 3rd drives lasted a total of 13 minutes....Thats not JP's fault....thats on the defense

But when you strike gold with a QB later in the draft, it kinda cancels out a lot of perceived mistakes.

If you strike gold with a QB anywhere in the draft, it can make up for mistakes.

I stated from the day of the draft that the Trent Edwards pick could be the best of all Marv's picks because it was a value selection. One of the strengths of this front office is finding value in rounds 2-4... which is why I think the Bills should accumulate picks in those rounds rather than trade them away to move up in the draft.

If you strike gold with a QB anywhere in the draft, it can make up for mistakes.

I stated from the day of the draft that the Trent Edwards pick could be the best of all Marv's picks because it was a value selection. One of the strengths of this front office is finding value in rounds 2-4... which is why I think the Bills should accumulate picks in those rounds rather than trade them away to move up in the draft.

So why do you harp on the other ones? McCcargo has struggled but Whitner is a very good player (though not a star) and team leader. It is very clear that Marv Levy turned this team around, yet for some reason, you just point out what you view as his "mistakes."

Ya know Miami could have had Edwards but they took John Beck (who I bet never starts another game in his career). SOmetimes the NFL scouts are just complete buffoons.

Most draft guides had Trent rated between 3rd and 5th best QB in the draft. Here's what I have seen from the 2007 draft-when we get to GMjr, Russ Lande, a former NFL scout for 2 teams, he totally blew the Edwards analysis.

Mel Kiper-4th best QB, mid 2nd rounder.

Nolan Nawrocki-3rd QB, 2nd rounder.

NFL Draft Scout-4th QB 2-3 rounder.

Frank Coyle, Draft Insiders' Digest-5th QB, 4th rounder.

Finally, GMjr, Russ Lande-15th QB, 7th rounder. He believed that Edwards would go in the 2nd round even though he rated him so low, but added in his mock draft where he had him going to KC " Chiefs are not sold on Brodie Croyle for their future and they have bought the hype after Edwards great Pro Day." Here's his weaknesses writeup:"Trent is an inconsistent quarterback whose bad footwork and lower body mechanics hinder his ability to consistently see/sense the pass rush coming and takes a large number of sacks that he has the athleticism to avoid. Despite not panicing under pressure, he does not consistently throw the ball accurately in key spots which hindered his ability to convert consistently in key spots (Converted under 49% of key important downs). He is a thin looking quarterback on the 'Hoof' and has struggled to stay healthy at Stanford, so I believe he will have trouble being a durable NFL quarterback." Here's his summary : "Trent is an interesting prospect because prior to evaluating him I had very high hopes for him having seen flashes of him play on TV, but upon charting out 6 games from his junior season I was greatly disappointed. He is being widely talked about as one of the "Sleeper' quarterbacks and is listed as the 3rd or 4th best quarterbacks by a number of NFL teams, but I think teams are falling in love with the quick, compact delivery and strong intangibles. While arm strength is the most over-rated part of a quarterback, Tren's inability to consistently throw accurately when he tries to put zip on passes is a major concern. Overall, I am sure Trent will be drafted much higher than I have him rated, but I am confident that in the end Trent will struggle to be anything more than a quality backup quarterback in the NFL."

Is it any wonder this guy has been canned from both his NFL scouting jobs? These are the QBs, in order, that he had rated above Edwards: Jamarcus Russell, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Brady Quinn, Matt Moore, Troy Smith, Drew Stanton, Toby Korrodi, Tyler Thigpen, Jeff Rowe, Jordan Palmer, Tyler Palko, Luke Gesty, and Lester Ricard. Ironically Ricard, his 14th QB was on Tulane.

There's no question the Bills are more talented after three drafts, three FA periods, and two plus seasons later. Believe it or not, the easy part is going from bad, as they were in 05 to marginal in 07. Taking the next leap will require the front office to find plenty of value in the 2-4th rounds from here on out. Edwards may well prove the best example of the three new regime drafts.

It will also allow them to let good but not great potential UFA's to leave without a huge drop off in play. Crowell will be the first example, and I suspect others will follow. There is simply no way, once a team becomes successful as the Bills are becoming, to retain every UFA. Having someone waiting in the wings is the key to maintaining a high level of play.

McGee and Youboty are signed through 09. Greer, after this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills sign one of those guys when their contracts are up, with the intent of McKelvin and Corner replacing them as a starter and nickel. That's how good teams stay good.