Tony Gonzalez

Takeo_14

Below is how Gonzalez would fit into the payroll. Seems very reasonable. If after a year or two he doesn't pan out we can cut him. It is hard to find playmaking tight ends. What is one of our biggest glaring needs a big tight end to stretch the field and be a fall back option for Trent. I would give up a fifth and seventh. That would trump the Giants sixth round offer. This would be HUGE upgrade on this team guys. He ahd 99 catches last year!!! That's second most ever in a season for him. I would get very excited if we are in talks. I'm sure Kawika knows how great a person/teammate he is from his time in KC with him. Get it done Russ.

1/12/2006: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $17.75 million in guarantees.

2008: $1 million

2009: $4 million

2010: $4.5 million

2011: $5.75 million

2012: Free Agent

Below is how Gonzalez would fit into the payroll. Seems very reasonable. If after a year or two he doesn't pan out we can cut him. It is hard to find playmaking tight ends. What is one of our biggest glaring needs a big tight end to stretch the field and be a fall back option for Trent. I would give up a fifth and seventh. That would trump the Giants sixth round offer. This would be HUGE upgrade on this team guys. He ahd 99 catches last year!!! That's second most ever in a season for him. I would get very excited if we are in talks. I'm sure Kawika knows how great a person/teammate he is from his time in KC with him. Get it done Russ.

1/12/2006: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $17.75 million in guarantees.

If someone is guaranteed $17.75 & you cut him, do you not owe him that much $?

If someone is guaranteed $17.75 & you cut him, do you not owe him that much $?

Yes. I assume some of that guaranteed money is already paid, though.

That contract doesn't seem to be a barrier, IMO.

I'd give up a 2nd in a heartbeat & make us a serious Super Bowl Champions contender this year. Look at the 2nd rounders in the 1990s when we were picking lower in that round than in more recent years. The record was pretty dismal. It's not that much to give up pick 64 for Gonzalez.

Also I'd like to see something more: JP & #2 for Gonzo & Huard. Solves getting rid of JP & gives us a real #2 who doesn't mind being here & knows he's the backup & has starting experience.

I'd give up a 2nd in a heartbeat & make us a serious Super Bowl Champions contender this year. Look at the 2nd rounders in the 1990s when we were picking lower in that round than in more recent years. The record was pretty dismal. It's not that much to give up pick 64 for Gonzalez.

Also I'd like to see something more: JP & #2 for Gonzo & Huard. Solves getting rid of JP & gives us a real #2 who doesn't mind being here & knows he's the backup & has starting experience.

Again, the QB inclusions are very unlikely, but Huard is the kind of guy I can see the Bills bring in to compete with Hamdam in the offseason. But, from most accounts (public and private) JP accepts his role, this year, isn't a malcontent and loves Buffalo. I agree that, next year when he is a UFA his ego (and agent and family) will likely push him to try to go somewhere where he has the chance to be a starter. And that's probably better for both sides.

i believe i read that a portion of those future salary figures are guaranteed.......how much i don't know, but i would suggest it would certainly have an impact on compensation to the chiefs

i'd also raise the point that gonzo may or may not want to play in buffalo.......he wouldn't be the first person who wasn't keen on the idea.......to be honest, i think he's really just angling to play with the giants

i believe he received 11 mil for last season so there would be only about 6 mil left in guaranteed money which is fine for buffalo. getting gonzo would make edwards such a threat especially in the red zone. i think gonzo would like going to a fan crazy place as well.