Ch 4 may get dropped from Time Warner?

Beerball

It's Sunday.

0%

That would be because of LIN TV, because Time Warner's VP has said if they can come to an agreement by 4, the feed will be back for the 4:15 start. At least, I've interpreted that to mean that they are still willing to work on an agreement even on Sunday.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read your posts in the links. You sound like a BS artist TROLL to me. Direct TV has only ONE DISH for both locals & national. If you EVER had Direct TV you would have known that.

I think you know that Jack is no troll, and has been a TSW member for many, many years.

That would be because of LIN TV, because Time Warner's VP has said if they can come to an agreement by 4, the feed will be back for the 4:15 start. At least, I've interpreted that to mean that they are still willing to work on an agreement even on Sunday.

Did he say he was willing to negotiate this weekend, or merely accept Lin's agreement to TW's terms? I would assume that a it is possible that a deal could be struck on Sunday, in this situation. But, I wouldn't count on it.

Did he say he was willing to negotiate this weekend, or merely accept Lin's agreement to TW's terms? I would assume that a it is possible that a deal could be struck on Sunday, in this situation. But, I wouldn't count on it.

It's not going to happen because I don't think this is simply a Buffalo issue -- I get the impression that it's all LinTV channels negotiating with TWC (in lots of markets, like Austin, Green Bay, etc).

Despite what people here think, it has nothing to do with the Bills and that won't be a factor in getting anything worked out.

I think you know that Jack is no troll, and has been a TSW member for many, many years.

I didn't mean he was a Troll in general just about this thread. He is a BS Artist, he states in a post in his link that he couldn't receive good signal on his "Nationals" Dish, but could on his "Locals" Dish. If he ever had Direct TV he would have known they only have ONE dish for both Nationals & Locals.

It's not going to happen because I don't think this is simply a Buffalo issue -- I get the impression that it's all LinTV channels negotiating with TWC (in lots of markets, like Austin, Green Bay, etc).

Despite what people here think, it has nothing to do with the Bills and that won't be a factor in getting anything worked out.

I disagree with that blanket statement. I think that, because Lin owns network affiliates that carry the NFL, and some of the markets involved are the home markets of NFL teams, that the Bills (and the Pack) actually play a part in these negotiations. Lin may be trying to extract a small bit more from TW (or, has been suggested, get the payment up front) based on their having the home team broadcasts.

Again, I don't have the details on this negotiation, but I have a good idea how they go down, having participated in a few. But, you are correct that the negotiation is not strictly about the Bills games.

EDIT: Of course, there is nothing stopping Lin and TW from agreeing to a deal/exemption for today in the cities with the NFL teams, while the negotiations continue.

I read your posts in the links. You sound like a BS artist TROLL to me. Direct TV has only ONE DISH for both locals & national. If you EVER had Direct TV you would have known that.

I've got two dishes on my house, pointing in different directions, do you want a picture?

I've got two dishes on my house, pointing in different directions, do you want a picture?

You may have two dishes on your house pointing in different directions, but I doubt they are both from Direct TV. Lets have a show of hands. How many people on this board with Direct TV that do not get international channels have more than one working dish on their house? As I said, Direct TV uses only ONE dish for both local & national channels.

You may have two dishes on your house pointing in different directions, but I doubt they are both from Direct TV. Lets have a show of hands. How many people on this board with Direct TV that do not get international channels have more than one working dish on their house? As I said, Direct TV uses only ONE dish for both local & national channels.

I just Googled this, and apparently some people have two dishes from DTV, one for local channels.

I've got DirecTV, HD, local channels, etc., and only ONE dish - albeit a BIG dish - but just one. I thought that was strange myself when I first read it.

I just Googled this, and apparently some people have two dishes from DTV, one for local channels.

It sounds like if anyone is making a declaration that they claim is true for all cases then they are simply wrong. I do not have a dish so I do not know, but the several folks I know who have dishes or whatever provider they have do not have a local/national dish distinction. If they have multiple dishes it is for multiple TVs.

Any argument which makes a claim that they seem to indicate applies to all cases (often it is because they are basing their claim in supposed fundamental truth) are probably wrong. the more fundamental and all encompassing the claim the more likely it strikes me as a claim which can be ignored.

Yes, it is not just a local Buffalo television market problem. LIN also owns WISH-TV in Indianapolis. Same issue for cable customers here.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...D=2008810030480

Glad I have a dish!

That brings us to the crux of this dispute. We're talking major dollars here, as evinced by the willingness of TW to give away rabbit ears that retail in the $10-ish neighborhood.

Assume for the sake of argument that Chris Musial is accurately stating that LIN wants about $.01 per day per subscriber for Channel 4. Call it $2.50 per year per subscriber.

Now, assume that there are about 100,000 cable subscribers in this market. The figure might be a little low, but it makes it easier to run the numbers. We're talking about $250,000 per year for Channel 4. Again, probably a low figure, but it's round.

Next, multiply that figure by 4 (Channel 4 plus Channels 2, 7 and 29 [sorry, UPN and other lesser networks]). All of a sudden, you're at $1,000,000 per year for Buffalo, which is probably not even a top-50 market anymore. (52 or 53, if memory serves). The additional local network signals are added to the analysis because those stations will more likely than not want treatment equal to that afforded Channel 4.

Finally, multiply that $1,000,000 figure by, say, 100, for the top 100 markets in the country. Again, the numbers a probably low, but that local $250,000 dispute with Channel 4 easily morphs into a national $100,000,000 dispute with local over-the-air providers. This is about big dollars and might not get solved until external pressures (i.e., 4's ratings plummet b/c customers are too lazy or not loyal enough to use the ears, or LIN/CBS/other network parents get skittish about going into a ratings period off of a dominant cable provider).

This analysis assumes that TW is in all of the top 100 markets. Even if TW is in only 50 of those markets, $50,000,000 is still a lot of jack and worth the giveaway of a few rabbit ears.