Did Pats* tamper to get Moss?

scribo

Mike Shanahan chimes in... :thumbsup:

..."Like Kiffin, who was jettisoned by the Raiders this week, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was fired by Al Davis four games into the 1989 season.

"I was a little disappointed, to be honest with you. When you take a look at it, I was there 582 days. Lane Kiffin was there 616 days. So, what it really means is that Al Davis liked Lane more than he liked me," Shanahan joked Wednesday. "I really don't think it's fair. I won three more games, yet he got 34 more days of work.""...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0387/1066/SPT02

Do you have any sort of link that suggests that? I'm not doubting you heard/read it, but I have not (except for on TSW).

How could Kiffin, with no GM responsibilities, have anything to do with that trade? Again, I don't expect Al to make sense, but this would be a real doozy.

I don't remember where it came from, i think from one of the pre-game shows before the Bills/Raiders game

I think it had something to do with Kiffin suggesting that they deal away Moss or telling Al/the GM that they should take the deal from NE.

I can't remember exactly though, but that was one of the rumors of what started the riff between the 2 of them. Then in the offseason, Kiffin went to Davis and said he felt they were on the right track, and that they should switch a couple co-ordinators, so all, still angered at Kiffin for the Moss deal, went to those co-ordinators and said that Kiffin wanted them fired. Also he holds meeting with Ryan over the defence and they do not invite Kiffin to those meetings to keep the head coach in the loop.

On the radio pre-game show before the game, they said that Gruden had said in a discussion that when he was in oakland, Al used to bring in coaching canidates for about a week and pick their brains in interviews for schemes, and plays, and stuff like that to get ideas, with no intentions of hiring that coach.

I don't get why anyone would be willing to go coach or play for that team. And some here thought that Ralph was ruining the Bills franchise

Do you have any sort of link that suggests that? I'm not doubting you heard/read it, but I have not (except for on TSW).

How could Kiffin, with no GM responsibilities, have anything to do with that trade? Again, I don't expect Al to make sense, but this would be a real doozy.

IIRC, it was the opposite. Kiffen was against the trade.

Mike Shanahan chimes in... :worthy:

..."Like Kiffin, who was jettisoned by the Raiders this week, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was fired by Al Davis four games into the 1989 season.

"I was a little disappointed, to be honest with you. When you take a look at it, I was there 582 days. Lane Kiffin was there 616 days. So, what it really means is that Al Davis liked Lane more than he liked me," Shanahan joked Wednesday. "I really don't think it's fair. I won three more games, yet he got 34 more days of work.""...

:thumbsup::lol::lol:

Not saying this link necessarily says what was alleged, as I don't fully understand what AL means by "not the coaches," but it seems they he is saying the coaches didn't want Moss. Either way, this is as close as I can find:

San Jose Mercury News reports from after Raider Nation...

-Q: Why did you trade Moss if you knew he was good?

-DAVIS: They didn’t want him.

-Q: They?

-DAVIS: Not the coaches. They were coming in brand new. That was a big thing on their minds.

Plus, you know how many teams turned him down. That guy in Green Bay thought he couldn’t run any more. Even Denver, where they’ll take anybody, turned him down.

But what’s his name knew he could run, he’s a friend of Belichick’s. Mike Lombardi. Mike sold what’s his name, Belichick, on the idea that he could run. They tampered with him. I remember Bob Kraft saying that he had to look him in the eye and all that. They went down and worked him out, he could run. He’s their team, of course, with the quarterback.

Also found this comment interesting and somewhat relevant to this conversation:

Q: Who did Kiffin want to draft instead of JaMarcus?

-DAVIS: There were several. Every day it was different, that’s the thing. He didn’t want Russell. At one time he wanted Brady Quinn. At one time Calvin Johnson. At one time to trade it.

I don't remember where it came from, i think from one of the pre-game shows before the Bills/Raiders game

I think it had something to do with Kiffin suggesting that they deal away Moss or telling Al/the GM that they should take the deal from NE.

I can't remember exactly though, but that was one of the rumors of what started the riff between the 2 of them. Then in the offseason, Kiffin went to Davis and said he felt they were on the right track, and that they should switch a couple co-ordinators, so all, still angered at Kiffin for the Moss deal, went to those co-ordinators and said that Kiffin wanted them fired. Also he holds meeting with Ryan over the defence and they do not invite Kiffin to those meetings to keep the head coach in the loop.

On the radio pre-game show before the game, they said that Gruden had said in a discussion that when he was in oakland, Al used to bring in coaching canidates for about a week and pick their brains in interviews for schemes, and plays, and stuff like that to get ideas, with no intentions of hiring that coach.

I don't get why anyone would be willing to go coach or play for that team. And some here thought that Ralph was ruining the Bills franchise

Thanks. The Moss stuff is all news to me.

My favorite part of this conference was this:

"But what’s his name knew he could run, he’s a friend of Belichick’s. Mike Lombardi."

Anybody that says Al Davis is not senile is senile himself. He can't even remember his own people. Sounds a lot like Ronald Reagan. That conference was hilarious, the rambling, the pauses, the blank stares, the creepy gray turtleneck that was too big on him....I felt like I was (sadly) listening to a great grandparent.

"But what’s his name knew he could run, he’s a friend of Belichick’s. Mike Lombardi."

Anybody that says Al Davis is not senile is senile himself. He can't even remember his own people. Sounds a lot like Ronald Reagan. That conference was hilarious, the rambling, the pauses, the blank stares, the creepy gray turtleneck that was too big on him....I felt like I was (sadly) listening to a great grandparent.

I agree that he seems to be losing it, but the whole "what's his name..." stuff could be a thinly veiled dig, saying the guy doesn't even rate me remembering his damn name.

Mike Shanahan chimes in... :worthy:

This is a hilarious ding on Al Davis by Shanahan.

Shanahan ought to ding him every time he can especially in news conferences after Raiders games.

Because he is demented, maybe? The fuc#er's crazy. Expecting all of the actions and statements of someone as twisted as Davis to make sense, is also crazy.

This might just be one of the few truths that happens to slip out of his wrinkled mouth.

Maybe?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I know what you said was sarcasm.

It's weird, all of the talking heads on ESPN, that I saw, were saying they believed Davis over Kiffen because he seemed to have specifics where Kiffen seemed to be just speaking in generalities. :worthy:

I guess I'm in the minority but I actually thought Davis seemed very lucid 'for his advanced age'. It is surprising to me how many Bills fans would rail on the guy for his oratory performance when,comparatively, Ralph makes him look like Winston Churchill, MLK, and Abraham Lincoln all rolled into one. I understand Ralph is older - but it gives me physical pain now to actually watch him try to string cogent strings of thought together.