Will McKelvin be suspended?

Chilly

I understand it's rough stuff out there but I've been a little uncomfortable with how quickly the league is willing to throw around fines and suspensions any time a WR gets popped downfield.

These guys are moving at high speed and making a variety of last minute adjustments on the ball and to the coverage. I think a lot of these fines and penalties are unjustified simply because there is no way any defender could intentionally hit a moving target the size of a helmet when he himself is already moving at a borderline out of control speed.

Not every helmet-to-helmet shot is intentional or deserves punishment.

It appears to be an economic move as both the players in teams in terms of large signing bonuses and players in terms of losing one renegotiation to injury may mean several million dollars simply do not want to see anyone hurt.

Its a tough balance to strike since if players start to hold back from making huge hits or if teams started sitting high contract stars when the game either seems unwinnable or difficult to lose then the fans will feel ripped off.

I found it interesting when St. Louis drew a roughing the passer penalty because someone made a legal hit on Edwards but apparently let their full body weight fall on Edwards. I for one am happy to see our boy Edwards get protected, but the call struck me as a little light in loafers for a real football game.

Guest dog14787
I understand it's rough stuff out there but I've been a little uncomfortable with how quickly the league is willing to throw around fines and suspensions any time a WR gets popped downfield.

These guys are moving at high speed and making a variety of last minute adjustments on the ball and to the coverage. I think a lot of these fines and penalties are unjustified simply because there is no way any defender could intentionally hit a moving target the size of a helmet when he himself is already moving at a borderline out of control speed.

Excellent point, get to carried away and pretty soon players are getting hurt because they can't even react naturally.

Pretty hard to run smack into someone full speed, head to head and not go head to head. ;)

He might have but even if he didn't I don't think that not seeing a tackler while you're carrying the ball falls under the definition of defenseless. I think it's a pretty narrow definition in that it only seems to apply to WR's who are extended while trying to go up for a ball.

The guy who busted Boldin today will likely be busting out the checkbook this week.

And that it as it should be. That appeared to be an intentional helmet to helmet shot. The MV squared of a fast-moving defender's helmet is a lot of energy to land on a stationary object.

Agreed.

This might have cost him his career.

Which is exactly why I made the thread - with how fine happy the league is over H2H hits (I've seen several which weren't called penalties in games end up fines and suspentions), I was hoping I just saw the play wrong.

No way! That was a clean hit and a beauty. I look forward to more of that from him. He absolutely hammered Looker and made a great play.

Yeah! You know its a good hit when the guy gets up, walks 10 feet, and then goes down like a sack of potatoes. The adrenaline wears off and its "1....2....3..."

Which is exactly why I made the thread - with how fine happy the league is over H2H hits (I've seen several which weren't called penalties in games end up fines and suspentions), I was hoping I just saw the play wrong.

Upon further review ... while their helmets did end up connecting, McKelvin led with his shoulder. And Looker was ducking to brace for the hit, which may have also played a role.

Guest dog14787
Not only was it a clean hit, I believe McKelvin may have been going for the ball. He didn't seem at all surprised when it popped out, and would've gotten good return yardage if the play wasn't whistled.

That was a Mammoth hit!!! This McKelvin fella is something special :thumbdown:

Not only was it a clean hit, I believe McKelvin may have been going for the ball. He didn't seem at all surprised when it popped out, and would've gotten good return yardage if the play wasn't whistled.

Nah, he was down by contact. Whether or not Looker knew he was making contact, their legs did appear to touch while LMK was on the ground.