Sabres related questions...

Spun

I was going through some boxes and I came across some old Sabres yearbooks from the mid-nineties and I compared them to a recent yearbook.. What happened? The earlier models were smaller but with more pages of content. The recent version (2007) hardly had any content just mostly photos. Did the Sabres subcontract the yearbook production to give us a generic collection of photos and went cheap on infornation? I saw some yearbooks from other teams and they were just as dreadful.

I ran into some Columbus Blue Jacket fans the other night. Somewhere in the conversation it came up that I was from Buffalo. After further discussion I learned that Sabres fans kind of made their mark while visiting Columbus to see the Sabres play the Blue Jackets last season. For those Sabres fans that attended the game, what did you guys do? Did this have something to do with alcohol consumption? Fess up! What happened?

I was at that game (live in Columbus) and it was the general "tone" of the Sabres fans. Tone meaning the enthusiasm, spirit, and love for the team and the game. Kind of took the Jacket fans by surprise. All in good nature and the best that I can recall, fun on both sides.

I was there and it was fun...Sabres fans, roughly about 10,000 of them, were in attendance. However, I saw some severe drunkenness even before the game (trust me, I was throwing back my share as well) but there were certainly some embarrassments. There were Sabres fans who were taking their alcohol consumption to Ralph Wilson Stadium levels and beyond.

Let's face it, a hockey arena is a more intimate setting and more family-friendly than a football stadium. The Sabres fans were generally loud and pumped up, but when the Sabres laid an egg on the ice and Columbus won, the Sabres fans were not all that warm-hearted.

I did love the "Flor-Da Ga-tors, clap clap clap-clap-clap" chant in the hallway leaving the game though (a few weeks after the Gators crushed Ohio St. for the national title.)

It was a good time, but there were a good number of Sabres fans there who were juvenile and inappropriate and drunk. And I'm no prude. But there were Buffalo people and Columbus people both shaking their heads at these idiots.

Like usual, it was probably 100-200 jerkoffs who give the whole lot of us a bad rep.

I was there and it was fun...Sabres fans, roughly about 10,000 of them, were in attendance. However, I saw some severe drunkenness even before the game (trust me, I was throwing back my share as well) but there were certainly some embarrassments. There were Sabres fans who were taking their alcohol consumption to Ralph Wilson Stadium levels and beyond.

Let's face it, a hockey arena is a more intimate setting and more family-friendly than a football stadium. The Sabres fans were generally loud and pumped up, but when the Sabres laid an egg on the ice and Columbus won, the Sabres fans were not all that warm-hearted.

I did love the "Flor-Da Ga-tors, clap clap clap-clap-clap" chant in the hallway leaving the game though (a few weeks after the Gators crushed Ohio St. for the national title.)

It was a good time, but there were a good number of Sabres fans there who were juvenile and inappropriate and drunk. And I'm no prude. But there were Buffalo people and Columbus people both shaking their heads at these idiots.

Like usual, it was probably 100-200 jerkoffs who give the whole lot of us a bad rep.

so they were acting like Leaf fans?

I was at that game (live in Columbus) and it was the general "tone" of the Sabres fans. Tone meaning the enthusiasm, spirit, and love for the team and the game. Kind of took the Jacket fans by surprise. All in good nature and the best that I can recall, fun on both sides.

I heard that happened in Raleigh one time.........a lot of broken glassware they says......

:lol: :itwasn'tme: :angry:

Are you talking about the "yearbooks" or "media guides"?

Yearbooks. Do the media guides have what the yearbooks used to include?

It was funny talking to the Blue Jacket fans. Once they found out I was from Bflo they said that they wouldn't hold it against me. I had heard a little bit about what happened and it was confirmed. One thing that was accomplished is that the Sabres now have a rivalry with the Blue Jackets, of all teams. It is cool to see people turning on to hockey for the first time (as opposed to bandwagon leapers). Columbus has yet to make the NHL playoffs. I told the Jackets fans that once they make the playoffs and they have a competitive team, a lot changes. I used to live in Columbus and there was only one TV station that would even mention hockey scores (thank you Jimmy Crum - real name!).

A friend of mine from Columbus e-mailed me this from the Columbus Dispatch. I don't know if this site's administrators alow me to post this for legal reasons but it is interesting. It is a letter to columnist Ray Stein. His response is classic!

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sir: I attended the (Jan. 26) game between the Blue Jackets and Buffalo. I have never seen such rude, out-of-control, classless fans than Sabres fans.

They walked around as if they owned the place. I witnessed Buffalo fans throwing beer, popcorn and other objects at Columbus fans. Some of them were even yelling "Go Sabres" and obscenities during the national anthem, which really riled me. I have seen better behavior from 6-year-olds.

The fact that the Sabres lost the game and that they were in the opponents’ home territory seemed to make no difference to these people. I seriously question their sanity. Buffalo fans, you are not welcome here again. Stay home.

-author name deleted-

Response: Bring on the Eastern Conference! We need more energy in that building, not less.

I live in Cbus now and was at that game 2 years ago as well as the preseason game last year. Like others have said, I saw some instances of low class behavior from Sabres fans but overall it was just us being our normal, rowdy, Buffalo sports fan selves. I think our numbers took the Jackets fans by surprise and they were probably jealous that we had that kind of devotion in our fan base. That being said I'll be there Thursday making noise in the 3rd row around the blue line wearing my white Pat Lafontaine jersey!! Go Sabres!!!!!!

I live in Cbus now and was at that game 2 years ago as well as the preseason game last year. Like others have said, I saw some instances of low class behavior from Sabres fans but overall it was just us being our normal, rowdy, Buffalo sports fan selves. I think our numbers took the Jackets fans by surprise and they were probably jealous that we had that kind of devotion in our fan base. That being said I'll be there Thursday making noise in the 3rd row around the blue line wearing my white Pat Lafontaine jersey!! Go Sabres!!!!!!

Yeah, the numbers were pretty overwhelming. There were thousands of Sabres fans packed into the bars around the arena before the game. I asked a bartender at the place we were at, and he said he had NEVER seen it like that for a hockey game. They were calling around for staff who could possibly come in!!

I think that most were like me...Hopped in the car with the boys for a quick weekend trip, got a little pickled, watched the Sabres play uninspired hockey, and had a good time in Columbus. Like usual, there are your azzholes who can't help but being an ****, and you had some clowns who couldn't quite control themselves after a few cocktails.

As for the national anthem, I only recall some "Lets Go Sabres" yelling at the very end, when typically everyone starts clapping and hooting. It wasn't out of the ordinary from any crowd in any arena as I remember it.