The "That was awesome, but..." thread

Kelly the Dog

There is really no reason to complain, because I am loving this team, offense, defense, special teams, and coaching are all chipping in. We got leadership and heart, youth and experience. And we're three and oh (the Patsies got battered).

But of course, we didn't play well for most of the game on offense, our run blocking still stinks for the most part, a couple of our stars had erratic games

One little nit-pick that bothered me though, was I hated that they showed no urgency with nine minutes left to get to the huddle, get the play in, and don't waste time. They were two possessions down and I think they wasted at least a minute off the clock. We didnt necessarily have to go into the no huddle at that time, although it wouldnt have hurt, but Shonert was taking his time getting the plays in and the team wasn't in any hurry to get them off. There is a huge difference between rushing things, and just being efficient. I thought we needlessly wasted a lot of time that could have bit us bad if Okland got a couple first downs. With six minutes to go, they did it perfectly. To me, they should have been in that mode with 9 minutes to go down by two scores.

As much as I hate to say it.......I think the running game needs more help. Yeah Lynch had a decent day and all, but there are not many holes to be found on that OL when hes running. Those yards are hard yardage runs, runs that will run that guy down later in the year. Lets get some holes for Lynch already. Thats my only complaint......

As much as I hate to say it.......I think the running game needs more help. Yeah Lynch had a decent day and all, but there are not many holes to be found on that OL when hes running. Those yards are hard yardage runs, runs that will run that guy down later in the year. Lets get some holes for Lynch already. Thats my only complaint......

Lynch is a friggin' stud. If he had any decent holes he would have 100 yards a game. The first guy hardly ever gets him down clean.

There is really no reason to complain, because I am loving this team, offense, defense, special teams, and coaching are all chipping in. We got leadership and heart, youth and experience. And we're three and oh (the Patsies got battered).

But of course, we didn't play well for most of the game on offense, our run blocking still stinks for the most part, a couple of our stars had erratic games

One little nit-pick that bothered me though, was I hated that they showed no urgency with nine minutes left to get to the huddle, get the play in, and don't waste time. They were two possessions down and I think they wasted at least a minute off the clock. We didnt necessarily have to go into the no huddle at that time, although it wouldnt have hurt, but Shonert was taking his time getting the plays in and the team wasn't in any hurry to get them off. There is a huge difference between rushing things, and just being efficient. I thought we needlessly wasted a lot of time that could have bit us bad if Okland got a couple first downs. With six minutes to go, they did it perfectly. To me, they should have been in that mode with 9 minutes to go down by two scores.

ya, I saw the same thing, they seemed to be taking their good 'ole time getting the play set up when the clock was ticking away. They were damn lucky to pull this one out, TE heroics aside...

Also looking forward to Hardy getting more acclimated to the league and the offense and contributing. Roscoe, Reed, and Evans all did all they could with their respective 5'9 and 5'10 frames.

Pissing away valuable time-outs in the 2nd half of a tight game.

Nightmarish Fairchild flashbacks. :thumbsup:

Schonert out-thinking himself and not taking advantage of the very good push the Bills OLine was getting early on.

ST coverage units not playing up to snuff.

The Bills forgetting why they were 2-0 and spending most of the day waiting for the Raiders to roll over in abject fear.

Trent Edwards not getting the ball out as quick as we're accustomed to combined with the OLine's less than stellar protection for much of the day.

We need to be up tempo to reach our full potential on offense. That's when we're at our best.

We were told they were going to do that during the pre-season and they havent done it yet. I understand keeping the defense fresh is a good idea, but Trent is smart and efficient enough to really run an up tempo offense or a few series in the no huddle in the middle of the game, quite well. I also think, like Dean said, that would open up the running game by being in more spread formations. With Evans, Reed, Parrish, Hardy and Jackson all able to play wide, I think it could throw the opposition off a lot.

As bad as the running game seems, they somehow get the important yards when they need them. I also want to say that I love the way Turk is using Jackson. Each is making the other look like a genius.

I can honestly say that I never once thought that the Bills were going to lose this game. It has been a long tome since I have felt that way. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
I think the running game would be more effective, if they ran more out of spread 3 and 4 WR sets. They didn't do much of that today, that i recall/

Your right, they didn't

Awesome game called by the Raiders DC, I think it may have hampered Turks play calling somewhat, or maybe slowed it down is a better word for it.

Way to come together as a team and pull off a win, this game will do a world of good for the confidence of this young ball club.

Wow, Our Bills making us feel proud again, its been a long time coming :thumbsup:

As I've said in another thread, count me in on not being impressed with the run blocking. With our size, I expect a better push in the run game. We shouldn't have to rely on "spreading em' out" to control the line of scrimmage.

I don't disagree. I simply think you should use some of what works. When they decide to open up the field a little, and press the tempo, I would expect the power running game to improve, too.

To me, they should have been in that mode with 9 minutes to go down by two scores.

I don't know. They seemed to play the clock/tempo right to me. They were down by two points with 7:59 to go and had a third and 11 stop to make deep in Raiders territory at about 6:30 to get the ball back, with all of the momentum on their side.

If not for the long TD, they would have had six minutes to move the ball down field to take the lead. As it turned out, they just had to do it twice to get the win :thumbsup:

Trent Edwards not getting the ball out as quick as we're accustomed to combined with the OLine's less than stellar protection for much of the day.

The Raiders' corners are good. They played press coverage most of the day (until they backed off at the end :thumbsup: ), which seemed to disrupt Trent's timing.

I commented on the lack of urgency in the GDT as well.

Also, why the hell didn't they hurry to the line and run a play following a (blown) PI call against Oakland in the 4th? It was almost as if they wanted Oakland to replay the call. It scares me that nobody stepped up and said "let's run a f'n play here!".

The interior of the OL (especially Fowler and Butler) remains a problem.

Paging Aaron Schobel....

I commented on the lack of urgency in the GDT as well.

Also, why the hell didn't they hurry to the line and run a play following a (blown) PI call against Oakland in the 4th? It was almost as if they wanted Oakland to replay the call. It scares me that nobody stepped up and said "let's run a f'n play here!".

I forgot about that. I was screaming at the TV for them to just run a play. They had two chances at it and it cost them 20+ yards I think. That was poorly done, too. Good call.

This season is a little different in that we might actually be going somewhere - but this pretty much why I always argued against giving him more carries last year. The guy is a stud and he's going to get Earl Campbell'd out of the league sooner than we'd like w/ the beating he takes.