New PUPPY!!

DrDawkinstein

Because it was.

More. My grandfather passed away about a week before, 96, and my dog's name (there's something else besides "Sammy") was the one he had always used for his dogs since before he emigrated from Holland. We went to WNY for the funeral, with Sammy (I walked through the farm fields with him on the day of the funeral), seemed fine in the car, got back home, he laid down on his bed and never got back up from it.

I kind of feel bad that I've been more shaken up about losing my dog than my grandfather, but there it is. But then again, with such an amalgamation/interconnection of the two, maybe I'm just feeling it for the both of them in a double-blow. I don't know. I'm not a psychologist.

Allow me to relate a circumstance, tho. We were at a gun club event (turkey shoot) down in a tony area of CT, and we took Sammy's father, don't know why. This was back when he was relatively young, tho, ~3. The leash somehow slipped off his neck, but then spun around on a dime when I clapped twice, and I guess after just viewing his general gentle disposition, a guy walks up to us, opens his checkbook and asks "How much for the dog?" The man had a hand-engraved double-barrel shotgun slung over his shoulder, fancy clothing, the works --- everything about him was oozing wealth. My father looked him up and down and said, "You don't have enough money to buy this dog" turned around and walked away. We heard later from people in the club that the guy was just dumbfounded by that response. Sammy was cut from the same bolt. He had his leg injured by a speeding car in 2004 --- literally just ripped flesh off --- and it was a long road back, changing bandages and all. When it was time for the change, he'd lay down, and sometimes arched his head up, but I think it very rare for a dog to react to that whole situation as well as he did. We got so close in and after that time, it was just implicit trust. But then, GSPs are a great breed if you want a friend.

No offense but that seems a little self centered. There is a dog out there that really needs a home and is willing to give you many, many years of great times. Laughter, compassion during your tough times, fun for you and him playing fetch or pulling against each other mano y mano on one of those rubber thingys or just relaxing together. He needs you and you need him. God forbid a family member were to pass but, if they did would you wish you'd never known them due to the pain? We outlive our pets that's just the way of the world but while it really hurts to lose one we have to move on not take it out on another dog who really wants to be your faithful friend and protector.

Like one of these dudes. :lol:

I'm sure your other doggy would like you to help another relative of his. :thumbsup:

If you get another pointer you can name him "Laser" :lol:

I'll say it more plainly that my life right now... I'm kind of at a crossroads. Job-wise, personal life, this sadness/depression, there's a lot of things I need to sort out (writing about it helps, tho). Not sure that getting a dog at this point would be fair, but it could all change tomorrow. As for that name, certainly not. I've promised myself that he'd be the last Sammy... My nephew watches a show on PBS called "Fetch! With Ruff Ruffman" and I've thought for a while that would make an excellent name. We'll see.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More. My grandfather passed away about a week before, 96, and my dog's name (there's something else besides "Sammy") was the one he had always used for his dogs since before he emigrated from Holland. We went to WNY for the funeral, with Sammy (I walked through the farm fields with him on the day of the funeral), seemed fine in the car, got back home, he laid down on his bed and never got back up from it.

I kind of feel bad that I've been more shaken up about losing my dog than my grandfather, but there it is. But then again, with such an amalgamation/interconnection of the two, maybe I'm just feeling it for the both of them in a double-blow. I don't know. I'm not a psychologist.

Allow me to relate a circumstance, tho. We were at a gun club event (turkey shoot) down in a tony area of CT, and we took Sammy's father, don't know why. This was back when he was relatively young, tho, ~3. The leash somehow slipped off his neck, but then spun around on a dime when I clapped twice, and I guess after just viewing his general gentle disposition, a guy walks up to us, opens his checkbook and asks "How much for the dog?" The man had a hand-engraved double-barrel shotgun slung over his shoulder, fancy clothing, the works --- everything about him was oozing wealth. My father looked him up and down and said, "You don't have enough money to buy this dog" turned around and walked away. We heard later from people in the club that the guy was just dumbfounded by that response. Sammy was cut from the same bolt. He had his leg injured by a speeding car in 2004 --- literally just ripped flesh off --- and it was a long road back, changing bandages and all. When it was time for the change, he'd lay down, and sometimes arched his head up, but I think it very rare for a dog to react to that whole situation as well as he did. We got so close in and after that time, it was just implicit trust. But then, GSPs are a great breed if you want a friend.

I'll say it more plainly that my life right now... I'm kind of at a crossroads. Job-wise, personal life, this sadness/depression, there's a lot of things I need to sort out (writing about it helps, tho). Not sure that getting a dog at this point would be fair, but it could all change tomorrow. As for that name, certainly not. I've promised myself that he'd be the last Sammy... My nephew watches a show on PBS called "Fetch! With Ruff Ruffman" and I've thought for a while that would make an excellent name. We'll see.

I think "Laser" is a fine name for a pointer! :thumbsup::lol: