I have an idea the NFL can promote for hispanic heritage month

ACor58

That is not my point. I'm saying that you don't know what it feels like to have people criticize you for not fluently knowing a second language. A language is a very difficult thing to learn, especially if you start as an adult.

Why are they responsible for learning English and being able to communicate with us and not the other way around? I believe that Spanish speakers making a concerted effort to learn English would be positive for our society. But English speakers have to take the exact same step and learn Spanish. We shouldn't be espousing a double standard like this, particularly with the changing landscape of American demographics.

As many people in this thread have already, nobody is complaining that Spanish speakers speak Spanish. They are complaining that the majority of people in the country (English speakers) are having to accommodate the MINORITY all in the name of preserving cultural heritage.

I would have absolutely no problem learning Spanish, Chinese, etc. if my professional success depended on it. I wish the USA would make one OFFICIAL language so that people wouldn't use the "we don't have an official language argument."

Having grown up in Buffalo in the 40's thru the 70's there was always a good ethnic mix in the city.

The difference is that; you didn't have to speak Polish at Broadway/Fillmore, Italian on the West Side, Gaelic in S. Buffalo, Lackawanna -take your pick- etc. etc.

Anyone who immigrated to the USA - Buffalo included - could chose to speak English, or not. Many of the older people kept their "native" languages and we're still all OK. I've been gone a long time and don't know if WWOL is still around but it used to be almost all Polish and that was OK.

The problem arises when you have a group of immigrants who insist on special treatment such as all the bi-lingual programs etc., all at tax payer expense.

If anyone wants to live here they need to either learn the language or have their kids translate for them. The Government has no obligation to make sure everyone understands what's going on. No matter where in the world you live, you either learn enough of the language to survive or suffer the consequences.

But isn't that one of the things that's supposed to make America great? We don't leave any of our people high and dry just because of their circumstances. We're supposed to me a melting pot, but so many people are interested in forcing all to speak the same tongue. Like I said, America does NOT have an official national language. Who's to say that English is any more deserving than Spanish to be our language of choice? In a few years time, that question may have to be seriously answered. Ideally, we might find ourselves in a similar situation to Canada, where things are simply printed in English and French.

But isn't that one of the things that's supposed to make America great? We don't leave any of our people high and dry just because of their circumstances. We're supposed to me a melting pot, but so many people are interested in forcing all to speak the same tongue. Like I said, America does NOT have an official national language. Who's to say that English is any more deserving than Spanish to be our language of choice? In a few years time, that question may have to be seriously answered. Ideally, we might find ourselves in a similar situation to Canada, where things are simply printed in English and French.

Wasting twice as much paper.

Have the hispanics in the commercials speaking f**king english.

I don't give a damn what language they speak, I just want 'em all to be paying taxes. Speak Klingon for all I care as long as you're dumping into the pot. I'm all for printing crap in both languages as long as we're capitalizing on the *entire* tax base.

I get a kick out of waving to the landscapers in the neighborhood. Most of the time, they sprout a big grin... probably not something they're used to.

Not melting pot... The PC term is "mosaic."

:thumbsup: