It was a year ago this week

Albany,n.y.

Last year after week 2, I was one of the fans in favor of a QB change. So I turn on WGR that Thursday and I hear Clayton say that if the Bills put Edwards in, it will set the franchise back by three years. Clayton has backed off big time from that statement, which was made before Trent's 1st regular season NFL pass, but I called it the dumbest thing he has ever said, and I believe it still is.

In a decade where two 2nd year QBs have won the Super Bowl, it's impossible to set a team back 3 years by inserting a rookie QB in. Just look at the Dolphins-last year they inserted a rookie in, they got enough data to know he wasn't the answer & moved on, drafting another QB & signing a stopgap. Even that didn't set the Dolphins back by three years.

Obviously he was thinking that the Bills had invested over 3 years in JP at the time and it would take Edwards just as long to reach the level JP was already at, but he ignored the progress that good QBs make by year 2, let alone year 3.

You know, the thing with Clayton is that he looks like such a goddamn mouth-breather that you have to take him seriously. I mean, it defies logic that anyone could LOOK so stupid and still BE so off-base (repeatedly) without having been bred out of the gene pool about 14 generations ago. As such, there's an inherent nature in all of us - linked to the 10th chromosome - that says "Hmm. That's a long time! Inbreeding should have taken care of that, but it didn't. As such, I should probably pay attention to this entity, because its very existence is testimony to its survival". And we get sucked in each time. Oh, wait....he's on again..........

I'm always amazed at how little the people who cover football actually understand anything about the sport and the people who play it. Sal Mariana from the D&C ran a piece today saying "I think Edwards is going to be a pretty good QB." Really, Sal? If you hadn't pointed out that Edwards had two good games, I would never had noticed! So many of these yahoos are master of the obvious, no better than a weathervane. These guys should thank the baby jesus every day that someone actually pays them.

PTR