It is time to face the truth: Poz, now Crowell

Cornerville

It'd be easy to make a quick assessment of what went down at OBD today. But on the surface, I have to wonder what the atmosphere in the locker room truly is heading into the season. There are three major issues currently confronting the front office, and we don't know if they're the only ones:

1. Peters. Enough said...let him sit idle. I won't shed a tear for him or Parker when those checks aren't coming in.

2. Evans. Still unsigned after 6 months of negotiations. Atypical situation, as most new contracts have been finalized throughout the NFL. Hopefully Burress' deal sets a baseline, but last reports indicated the Bills and Evans' people haven't progressed in a while. Marv said back in Feb 07: ""Lee Evans we feel is a premier receiver and everything about him I like." It's time to get the deal done with LE.

3. Crowell. Makes decision on surgery before season opener, Bills fight back by placing him on IR, even though he'd return in no more than 5 weeks. An already thin Bills LB corps becomes weakened, especially with 3 LB's weighing less than 230. Crowell will hit UFA with no recent body of work with which to sign...because he's not remaining in Buffalo no matter what. Question is, why? We'll find out in due time.

It's complete speculation, but IMO is a storm brewing in that locker room. It seems like the Bills front office is trying to win every battle, but will end up losing the war...a.k.a. the hearts and minds of no less than 52 professional football players.

Buffalo needs a win this weekend in the worst way. But things could get ugly if the season doesn't start well, and that's something reiterated every season.

2. Evans. Still unsigned after 6 months of negotiations. Atypical situation, as most new contracts have been finalized throughout the NFL. Hopefully Burress' deal sets a baseline, but last reports indicated the Bills and Evans' people haven't progressed in a while. Marv said back in Feb 07: ""Lee Evans we feel is a premier receiver and everything about him I like." It's time to get the deal done with LE.

Incorrect.

In TODAY'S Buffalo News, an article on Evans spoke about how both sides are hoping to get a deal done sooner rather than later.

Evans HIMSELF said just last week he was optimistic a deal would get done soon.

This has obviously been a prolonged negotiation, but to say things aren't progressing is simply wrong... especially when you, or anyone else here for that matter, have absolutely no clue as to what's going on behind closed doors.

Man, the rampant speculation really brings down the quality of TSW these days...

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. The Bills are only carrying five LBs. Now with Crowell out, we are short-handed. Waiting until three days before the start of the season sucks. But Crowell probably cost himself a serious payday by doing this.

Bottom line is, this is a lose-lose situation.

Well, here is what I am not understanding...

We have a 53 man active roster. However, on game days, the active roster is trimmed to 45 players, with the other 8 player being inactive for the game. So, with Murphy, Fine and Crowell out, we would still have 5 other players who would be inactive anyways for the game. So instead of having a choice of 8 guys to activate for game day, the coaching staff would only have a choice of 5 since the other 3 are injured.

This makes no sense...Only 45 players play anyways on game day. They still have a minimum of 5 other players who could fill his game day roster spot. How they can make up some mumbo jumbo about not having enough players is ridiculous...there will be 5 other healthy players sitting around on the sidelines doing nothing this Sunday since they can't play anyways...

The Bills easily could have kept Crowell on the active roster----they just chose not to. There must be a reason for it, and I'm sure it will be coming out the next few days...basically there is the reason they are telling us, and then there is the real reason, which they haven't told anyone yet.

Very frustrating to see...

Incorrect.

In TODAY'S Buffalo News, an article on Evans spoke about how both sides are hoping to get a deal done sooner rather than later.

Evans HIMSELF said just last week he was optimistic a deal would get done soon.

This has obviously been a prolonged negotiation, but to say things aren't progressing is simply wrong... especially when you, or anyone else here for that matter, have absolutely no clue as to what's going on behind closed doors.

Man, the rampant speculation really brings down the quality of TSW these days...

Show me another team which negotiates with their better players over the course of 6 months.

Evans said in mini-camp that they'd been working on an extension. This was the same reply uttered during training camp.

I'm not going the conspiracy theory route, and I've used this analogy before: If you're the plaintiff in a criminal case, and the jury is out for weeks, does that bode well for you? Chances are, it does not.

Of course Evans, as a consumate professional, will not say it's going real well or just inching along. He's not going to reveal the true nature of anything, but negotiations lasting this long are not typical no matter what you believe.