Thoughts and concerns

1billsfan

i can only imagine how ridiculous this board is going to be in a few years when it is time to re-sign Lynch, Hardy, Whitner, Poz, McKelvin and (hopefully) Edwards...

Shouldn't the Bills be resigning them now, years before their contracts expire? After all, they've all shown promise.

I've heard many here say not to worry, that Evans will be signed to a long term extension of his current contract which is in its last year. Well the season starts this Sunday and he's still not signed. This after the Bills spent money like drunken sailors on above average to below average players in '07. What gives here? The Bills supposedly made themselves a sweetheart deal with Toronto, moved home games out of Wilson Stadium and fans like me feel like they are not 100% committed to winning. Allow me to also bring Peters into the conversation. This is another player that I would call a "star" player. I think he's on the level of an offensive version of a young Bruce Smith. Yet the Bills can't seem to get the ball rolling and are holding firm in their beliefs that all players on their roster should be dealt with as equals. I know that the agent and Peters have also been at fault, but I still think the Bills are not sending a very good message with their lack of reaching out. The fact is that Peters has outplayed his current contract by a whole lot. The Bills have a boatload of newly found money and are acting as if they would rather save money by letting a player leave via free agency or sit on the sidelines, than pay a top dollar contract for any player regardless of how good they are or what they've done for this team. Ralph isn't poor. He has the money, his team is supposedly on the cusp of of the next great era of Bills football, yet he's acting like a small minded skinflint with their best players on the team. I just don't get it. I'm disheartened by the lack of any movement on either front. I should be filled with hope for the long term future success of the Buffalo Bills, but this is not the case heading into this season. I know that we're all excited about the new season, I just wanted to share my concerns about this organization here and see if anyone else felt the same way.

Obviously, you have followed very little of the Evans' contract talks. Things are going well except for the incentives and other things that Lee wants in his contract, IMHO. I have a feeling that he'll sign a new deal sometime this season. He has not mentioned postponing negotiations during the season because he doesn't want that distraction as some other players have done.

Dealings with their best players like Aaron Schoebel?

These NFL teams get players coming and going. They get them on the cheap with their rookie deals (not count top five draft picks of course), and they get them on the back end of their careers when they tell older players to take a pay cut or get released. I'm not the bleeding heart for ownership that some here clearly are. These players have a VERY small window to "cash in" and I'm very concerned that the Bills have jumped off the "big contract" train till Ralph dies and a new owner takes his place. We're all trying to read the tea leaves here and I frankly just don't understand the Bills dealings with their best players. When you play above and beyond what was expected, you SHOULD be rewarded with something more than an atta-boy and a pat on the back. These guys are exceptional and should be dealt with as exceptions. I didn't want to get into the same debate, I just wanted to see if others have a weird sense that the Bills will never pay a bigtime contract again until Ralph is gone.

Dealings with their best players like Aaron Schoebel?

I think that Schobel is an above average defensive end. Nothing more, nothing less. But the fact that they did re-do his deal so early last year makes the Lee Evans heel dragging situation that much more puzzling to me. It's rare that player negotiations continue on during an NFL season. I'm looking forward to watching Lee Evans score touchdowns in a Bills uniform for a long period of time just like Andre Reed did.