What happened to the Decathalon

stevewin

I just watched some guy named Brian Clay from the US win the title of 'greatest athlete' - how many people in the US could pick this guy out of a lineup? Holy crap - I remember when I was a kid and Bruce Jenner won - he was a true American hero - image plastered everywhere. Even the later Dan & Dave flameouts were *everywhere*.

Just today I read an interview w/ Jennner - they asked about Phelps being knighted 'greatest Olympic athlete' - and his response is something that to me rings true - "The basis of athletics is the ability to run, jump, and throw. The decathelon tests that." I would have to agree. For me honestly - things like heaping god status on someone like Tiger for hitting a little ball around really pales in comparison.

Now - if the gold medal Decathalete could also consistently hit the 15-foot jumper and hit a curve ball - then you'd really have something :)

I just watched some guy named Brian Clay from the US win the title of 'greatest athlete' - how many people in the US could pick this guy out of a lineup? Holy crap - I remember when I was a kid and Bruce Jenner won - he was a true American hero - image plastered everywhere. Even the later Dan & Dave flameouts were *everywhere*.

Just today I read an interview w/ Jennner - they asked about Phelps being knighted 'greatest Olympic athlete' - and his response is something that to me rings true - "The basis of athletics is the ability to run, jump, and throw. The decathelon tests that." I would have to agree. For me honestly - things like heaping god status on someone like Tiger for hitting a little ball around really pales in comparison.

Now - if the gold medal Decathalete could also consistently hit the 15-foot jumper and hit a curve ball - then you'd really have something :)

That's a good question. I think Phelps has stolen the show this year and maybe it's a weak field this year and the media isn't as intrigued by it.

I think there are several reasons:

1) The complete and total collapse of American track and field. Let's face it, the steroid scandal didn't do USA Track & Field any favors.

2) The lack of a charismatic personality on the American teams. People loved Bruce Jenner, part for what he did, and partially because of his all-American persona. Today, there's no one.

3) Michael Phelps. As Steely Dan said, he's filled the void.

4) The proliferation of Olympic events on cable television. When I was a kid, ABC had the Olympics and only showed about 100 hours of coverage over the two weeks. Most people in 1976 and even 1984 didn't have cable TV. Today, NBC has five different networks broadcasting something like 2,000 hours of the Olympics. Can that figure be right? It sounds awfully high.

5) Since the Olympics are in Beijing, many of the events are shown on tape-delay because Beijing is 12 hours ahead of New York and 15 hours ahead of Los Angeles.

These are just my opinions. I'm sure several more can be made that are just as valid.

I think there are several reasons:

1) The complete and total collapse of American track and field. Let's face it, the steroid scandal didn't do USA Track & Field any favors.

2) The lack of a charismatic personality on the American teams. People loved Bruce Jenner, part for what he did, and partially because of his all-American persona. Today, there's no one.

3) Michael Phelps. As Steely Dan said, he's filled the void.

4) The proliferation of Olympic events on cable television. When I was a kid, ABC had the Olympics and only showed about 100 hours of coverage over the two weeks. Most people in 1976 and even 1984 didn't have cable TV. Today, NBC has five different networks broadcasting something like 2,000 hours of the Olympics. Can that figure be right? It sounds awfully high.

5) Since the Olympics are in Beijing, many of the events are shown on tape-delay because Beijing is 12 hours ahead of New York and 15 hours ahead of Los Angeles.

These are just my opinions. I'm sure several more can be made that are just as valid.

IMO... The specialization of events... People want to see a winner, right now... They don't want to wait a week and wade through 10 events and points.

"In an instant society."