Why I Am A Republican ... Re-Editted

ubhockey

Hey DC Tom, can you just remove that post I made yesterday. Obviously I was misleading the entire board when I said "This Just In... JOhn KErry is a joke!". Obviously we've known that for quite some time. ;)

Is that humor OK to have in this post?

In all seriousness, my bitter distaste for the left and everything they stand for gets the best of my many times. To me, Democrats have no platform. They simply take views which they constantly flip-flop to gain votes. They go after the minority votes (blacks, hispanics, women, gays, etc.) in hopes of getting enough of these groups to out vote the right's majorities.

Whatever your take on Iraq is -- which I am all for it personally -- this country is obviously very divided. That being said, the only thing the left had to do is a get a decent candidate to run for office and they would win. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if they had the second coming of FDR, I'd still vote Bush because I'm republican until the end.

So what's the best the democrats could do? John Kerry??? That is the best guy that party could find? It really is a sad joke, he has done nothing since being elected as a Senator. His hometown paper even endorses President Bush saying "we know John Kerry very well and we know he wouldn't be a good President."

So what if he can speak well, I want a President that doesn't have to speak, a President whose actions do the speaking. I could careless about what France or Germany has to say about us. I believe the UN is no longer needed, we should stop funding the UN because they don't want what's best for us.

We need to realize that the world is out to get the good ole USA. Muslims hate us that's for sure, but every other country in the world is envious of everything we have. If we need to go out and kick some ass to prove a point that we're not to be screwed with, then god damnit, we don't need the world's blessings. We are #1 and they can't stand that and would love to see us suffer. There is a reason we are the best country in the world, because we don't give in ... ever.

Going back to my orginal point, I think the democratic party is in big trouble after this election. There are too many good Republican leaders (Rudy, McCain, Jeb, etc.) that can run and will win. The democrats have what ... Hilary Clinton and John Edwards? That's not good if you ask me.

I hope that states like NY, Ohio, and Penn soon realize that the reason they keep missing out on the economic booms that hit the entire nation and why they continue to lose jobs & people is not because of DC or the President, it's because of their liberal politicans. How long is NY going to vote left when it has done the state nothing but wrong for countless decades. There is a need to vote for change, and that change is in these states.

I'm a 23 year old UB grad as of this past May. My demo says I should vote for Kerry but it really makes no sense to me why that is? What is he promising us that makes him a better choice? Absolutely nothing. In 2000, I was 19 and an independant. I voted for President Bush because I seen the flaws of the left at that young age. Now, four years later I work full time for a major coporation and own my own small business. Four years later, I see even more that President Bush is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better for me, my future, my family and the safety of all three.

I'm a 23 year old UB grad as of this past May. My demo says I should vote for Kerry but it really makes no sense to me why that is? What is he promising us that makes him a better choice? Absolutely nothing. In 2000, I was 19 and an independant. I voted for President Bush because I seen the flaws of the left at that young age. Now, four years later I work full time for a major coporation and own my own small business. Four years later, I see even more that President Bush is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better for me, my future, my family and the safety of all three.

77800[/snapback]

If you consider what WNY has been voting in as "Left" you are clearly mistaken. What it is is a beaureaucratic machine.

You can call them liberals or whatever you want, but the Left is inherently progressive, and Masiello and Co. are not (in fact they don't even run AGAINST anybody -- one party system?). As for most of the DNC it goes like this: once people of the "Left" try to build their power base on structures of myth and appeal to emotion (something the right has down pat since it is founded in nostalgia) they fail and become toothless and ineffective beaureaucrats mired in the system -- not progressives. I wish Paul Wellstone was still alive. He was a REAL representative of the left and a true progressive. And he wasn't loved by everyone but he was respected by most of his colleagues on both sides of the aisle in the Senate.

I have seen people from both sides of the spectrum run WNY into the ground. It's due to mismanagement, a secretive and ineffective state government, poor decision-making and bad luck. It IS NOT simply due to one easy scapegoat that you can pin all the blame on.

So what if he can speak well, I want a President that doesn't have to speak, a President whose actions do the speaking. I could careless about what France or Germany has to say about us. I believe the UN is no longer needed, we should stop funding the UN because they don't want what's best for us.

We need to realize that the world is out to get the good ole USA. Muslims hate us that's for sure, but every other country in the world is envious of everything we have. If we need to go out and kick some ass to prove a point that we're not to be screwed with, then god damnit, we don't need the world's blessings. We are #1 and they can't stand that and would love to see us suffer. There is a reason we are the best country in the world, because we don't give in ... ever.

Son, you have a future.

I have to differ with you on the "give in" part, though. That's a lot of why we're in the mess we're in.

I'm also a UB grad (2002)...I'm 24 and somewhat of a minority in terms of color and I see no reason to vote for Kerry as he will do nothing to help me, my family or my future

77870[/snapback]

Kerry said he will raise your taxes. That alone is enough not to vote for him. He's good at that BTW.

Kerry said he will raise your taxes. That alone is enough not to vote for him. He's good at that BTW.

78052[/snapback]

Since you indirectly broke the ice, his folks have also put out the word indirectly that he will undercut defense spending to help make ends meet. His budget folks have a pretty good idea on what is getting spent where, otherwise they wouldn't be making specific inqueries. There aren't only contingency plans being thought up for bad guys, people have to plan how to keep various programs going with budget cuts not anticipated over a five year projection.

But he'll be "tough on defense". I see how. May fortune favor the foolish.

Since you indirectly broke the ice, his folks have also put out the word indirectly that he will undercut defense spending to help make ends meet. His budget folks have a pretty good idea on what is getting spent where, otherwise they wouldn't be making specific inqueries. There aren't only contingency plans being thought up for bad guys, people have to plan how to keep various programs going with budget cuts not anticipated over a five year projection.

78084[/snapback]

And "increase the size of the military by 40k people". But "Bush has a secret plan to reinstitute the draft." ;):devil:

It amazes me how badly run a campaign his is.

78084[/snapback]

I was driving home from work yesterday, and I saw 6 signs nailed to telephone poles with this : Vote for Bush, he'll reinstate the draft.

I wonder if they'll be there when I go home today.

If you consider what WNY has been voting in as "Left" you are clearly mistaken.  What it is is a beaureaucratic machine.

You can call them liberals or whatever you want, but the Left is inherently progressive, and Masiello and Co. are not (in fact they don't even run AGAINST anybody -- one party system?).  As for most of the DNC it goes like this: once people of the "Left" try to build their power base on structures of myth and appeal to emotion (something the right has down pat since it is founded in nostalgia) they fail and become toothless and ineffective beaureaucrats mired in the system -- not progressives.  I wish Paul Wellstone was still alive.  He was a REAL representative of the left and a true progressive.  And he wasn't loved by everyone but he was respected by most of his colleagues on both sides of the aisle in the Senate.

I have seen people from both sides of the spectrum run WNY into the ground.  It's due to mismanagement, a secretive and ineffective state government, poor decision-making and bad luck.  It IS NOT simply due to one easy scapegoat that you can pin all the blame on.

77847[/snapback]

Wellsone was used as a tool, in his death, by that obscenity perpetrated by the Democratic "party of the people.

I'll be happy to pin the demise on WNY upon the Dem's. Frank Sedita (I used to schlep jugs of beer to the old green poll booths, plastered with Dem. sandwich boards - 25 cents per jug). That machine didn't have the brains or the concern to figure out the impact of the Welland Canal and the navigibility of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Bill Buyers. Stan the Man. Tony M.

Wellsone was used as a tool, in his death, by that obscenity perpetrated by the Democratic "party of the people.

78112[/snapback]

according to the echo chamber. Depending on what you watched it was a different story. I watched it on C-SPAN. Sure, there were some political panderings, but also some beautiful moments. Again, this is a systemic media problem, not a Dem/Rep thing.

Also, it was pretty appalling to see how many people who said disparaging things about Wellstone in life were supposedly appalled at the goings on during his funeral -- guys like Tucker Carlson who didn't even watch it were pretty priceless.

Hey DC Tom, can you just remove that post I made yesterday. Obviously I was misleading the entire board when I said "This Just In... JOhn KErry is a joke!". Obviously we've known that for quite some time. ;)

In all seriousness, my bitter distaste for the left and everything they stand for gets the best of my many times. To me, Democrats have no platform. They simply take views which they constantly flip-flop to gain votes. They go after the minority votes (blacks, hispanics, women, gays, etc.) in hopes of getting enough of these groups to out vote the right's majorities.

Whatever your take on Iraq is -- which I am all for it personally -- this country is obviously very divided. That being said, the only thing the left had to do is a get a decent candidate to run for office and they would win. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if they had the second coming of FDR, I'd still vote Bush because I'm republican until the end.

So what's the best the democrats could do? John Kerry??? That is the best guy that party could find? It really is a sad joke, he has done nothing since being elected as a Senator. His hometown paper even endorses President Bush saying "we know John Kerry very well and we know he wouldn't be a good President."

Going back to my orginal point, I think the democratic party is in big trouble after this election. There are too many good Republican leaders (Rudy, McCain, Jeb, etc.) that can run and will win. The democrats have what ... Hilary Clinton and John Edwards? That's not good if you ask me.

I hope that states like NY, Ohio, and Penn soon realize that the reason they keep missing out on the economic booms that hit the entire nation and why they continue to lose jobs & people is not because of DC or the President, it's because of their liberal politicans. How long is NY going to vote left when it has done the state nothing but wrong for countless decades. There is a need to vote for change, and that change is in these states.

77800[/snapback]

Since, by your own admission you basically hate all democrats ("bitter distaste") and are going to "vote republican to the end" no matter who the democrats run, there really is no point in talking to you or listening to you or even hoping to have any kind of meaningful exchange of ideas with you is there? It is a shame to be 23 and that close minded.

Hey DC Tom, can you just remove that post I made yesterday. Obviously I was misleading the entire board when I said "This Just In... JOhn KErry is a joke!". Obviously we've known that for quite some time. :blush:

77800[/snapback]

So the intent of your post was to say why you are a republican and no where in the above post do I see reasons for your republican views? All I see is hate of the democrats. You talk about NY being run for decades by liberals, somehow you are convinced every democrat is a liberal, just like others who brand every republican a conservative. I guess you are too young to rememeber that Nelson Rockefeller and the republican party ran NY state during the late 60s and early 70's. I guess you also dont realize that current Governor of NY is also a republican and has received support from many democrats and criticism from the NY Conservative Party.

So try again and provide the reasons you are a republican?

So the intent of your post was to say why you are a republican and no where in the above post do I see reasons for your republican views?  All I see is hate of the democrats.  You talk about NY being run for decades by liberals, somehow you are convinced every democrat is a liberal, just like others who brand every republican a conservative.  I guess you are too young to rememeber that Nelson Rockefeller and the republican party ran NY state during the late 60s and early 70's. I guess you also dont realize that current Governor of NY is also a republican and has received support from many democrats and criticism from the NY Conservative Party.

So try again and provide the reasons you are a republican?

78966[/snapback]

I thought it was pretty evident why I am Republican.

1. We need a strong leader, not a world follower.

2. I support the war on terror and the war in Iraq because they are both the same.

3. I'm not a minority. I'm a middle class person with a small business and Bush protects me, my family and my interests a lot better.

4. Republicans are Patriots while Democrats protest and want us to think that our country is always doing the wrong thing when they're not in power.

5. Republicans are pretty consistent in their views and beliefs, hence conservative. Democrats change their views so much its too hard to follow, hence liberal.

6. I like my country to be steady, confident and the world's leader. I don't see any of that in John Kerry.

You're right, I don't remember the 60s or 70s but I do remember when most of the country was getting the economic boom of the 90s, we were losing jobs & people. As for Pataki, A republican governor in a state run by liberals is a wash.

And the only ones that are close-minded are those in the left. They HATE Bush and dont care to look at what good he has done in his four years which because of 9/11 could have been disasterous for our nation. I will never be open-minded to a group whose platform is simply the take the opposite approach of their opponent's because they hate him so much and what him out.

2. I support the war on terror and the war in Iraq because they are both the same.

3. I'm not a minority. I'm a middle class person with a small business and Bush protects me, my family and my interests a lot better.

4. Republicans are Patriots while Democrats protest and want us to think that our country is always doing the wrong thing when they're not in power.

5. Republicans are pretty consistent in their views and beliefs, hence conservative. Democrats change their views so much its too hard to follow, hence liberal.

6. I like my country to be steady, confident and the world's leader. I don't see any of that in John Kerry.

79017[/snapback]

On your points you actually sound like you have been brainwashed by the likes of Rush etc.

1) I guess you imply that a democrat can not be a strong world leader? I guess ya never heard of FDR.

2)You imply that only republicans are willing to fight war on terror?

3)How do republicans protect these thibgs you list

4) No democrat can be a patriot? Better make all those damn libs leave the military

5)Republicans consistent on views? They wanted to protect segregation, against womens rights etc. Against gay's unless daugther is one.

6)Cant argue since have yet to see if Kerry can be a strong world leader. But right now I see neither providing leadership.

You're right, I don't remember the 60s or 70s but I do remember when most of the country was getting the economic boom of the 90s, we were losing jobs & people. As for Pataki, A republican governor in a state run by liberals is a wash.

And the only ones that are close-minded are those in the left. They HATE Bush and dont care to look at what good he has done in his four years which because of 9/11 could have been disasterous for our nation. I will never be open-minded to a group whose platform is simply the take the opposite approach of their opponent's because they hate him so much and what him out.

79017[/snapback]

1. A world leader is someone who can persuade others to follow. Bush has failed.

2. Democrats support the war on terror and say Bush's Iraq war hurt that effort and likely made it worse. Moreover, the current Bush Iraq policy has yet to prove it is helping the war on terror.

3. Minorities can't (shouldn't?) be Republicans? Are they not welcome? Please explain. Also, you made no case that Bush has helped SB, families, etc.

4. If that is your view, you don't even know what Patriotism is. Appalling.

5. Consistent, eh? Please provide concrete examples of each.

6. Bush: steady, confident and wrong. Many American and world leaders were steady and confident -- and many were also disasters for their nation and the world.

Ah, losing jobs and people during the 90s economic boom? Come again?

You last paragraph is at best mind numbing. You accuse others of being close-minded yet a sentence later admit your not open-minded?

Here’s my little story about why I’m a Republican from WNY.

Background:

Grew up in NT graduating in ‘79 and from UB in ‘83.

My father was a union factory worker working for the same company for 45 years.

My mother was a housewife and worked part-time at night.

We went to church each Sunday.

My brother and I played little league baseball, football, basketball and my sister was a cheerleader.

We rode our bikes everywhere, played pickup games with the neighborhood kids

We hardly ever watched TV except Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom and Disney.

We never took family vacations further than 60 mile from WNY if at all.

My father never made more than $35K per year with overtime.

My father and most of our friends and family where Democrats.

So, What happened to me?

The first election that I was able to vote in and hence became politically aware was in 1980. The economy in the country and especially in WNY was horrendous. The country was the weakest at any point since pre WWII. The moral of our country and military was terrible and the discipline even worse. Iran held 53 of our citizen’s hostage for close to a year. Gasoline was being rationed and people went to Canada for gas. Jobs were not to be found and inflation and interest rates were outrages.

Take a guess why I voted for Regan? Strong leader, bold initiatives, reduces taxes, reduce inflation, stimulate the economy, strengthen the military, make America proud again, and defeat communism.

I learned all of these traits and beliefs from my father and my family life. But I remember telling my Dad I was voting for Regan and he was shocked. How could you vote for a Republican he would ask? I said Dad, how could you not vote for Reagan? You thought me to be strong, be a leader, be proud of your country, save your money, work hard, get educated, nothing is for free, if you want something then go get it, do what ever it takes within the rules, be prepared, make your own opportunities, don’t take no for an answer, be honest, pray to the lord, thank the lord for what you have, be generous and kind to those less fortunate.

I was so naive back then that I really didn’t see it terms of Democrat or Republican I just knew in my heart that Regan was right President for the country and me based on what I knew (which wasn’t much). I would later find out more about what each party stood for and how things have changed over the years for each party.

But the core principles of my beliefs are still with me that I learned in WNY. I now live in DC with my wife and two kids and my Dad (living in Florida now) is voting for Bush. I finally was able to turn his teachings around on him and to make him see the light of the Republican Party and savior to our nation.

Here is why I’m a Republican:

Strong sense of Country and will do anything to protect it.

Support a strong law enforcement policy with fair and tough punishment.

Support equal rights to ALL citizens.

Support and appoint judges that interpret the law not make the law.

Support a strong military.

Support a fair and balanced tax code.

Support a reduction of Federal Government entitlements and related bureaucracies

Support the free enterprise system

Support less Government regulations

Support freedom of speech and the right to bear arms.

Support a strong family unit (no gay marriage)

Support a strong education system

Support strong immigration policy and strict enforcement of those laws

Revamp the litigation, lawsuits and tort laws

Keep the religious faith in our society and our founding principles in the Constitution

Help those who need help, DO NOT help those who CAN help themselves

Revamp the Social Security Entitlement program

Eliminate all special equal rights protection laws and quotas

79017[/snapback]

Gee-zus, man, there isn't anything here to hang your red hat on. I may be a far-far-far left liberal scumbag, but at least I know why I'm a far left scumbag.

Strong leader...protects me and my family...war on terror...It's like you have a copy of Bush's debate notes.

Sure, I despise Bush, but I'm a democrat because I agree with them (historically) on a majority (but not all) of their core issues, not just because I can't stand the guy. The democrat platform isn't "Let's look at what Bush does and go the other way." There are fundamental differences between these two parties' core beliefs. Wow.

Here’s my little story about why I’m a Republican from WNY.

Background:

Grew up in NT graduating in ‘79 and from UB in ‘83.

My father was a union factory worker working for the same company for 45 years.

My mother was a housewife and worked part-time at night.

We went to church each Sunday.

My brother and I played little league baseball, football, basketball and my sister was a cheerleader.

We rode our bikes everywhere, played pickup games with the neighborhood kids

We hardly ever watched TV except Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom and Disney.

We never took family vacations further than 60 mile from WNY if at all.

My father never made more than $35K per year with overtime.

My father and most of our friends and family where Democrats.

So, What happened to me?

The first election that I was able to vote in and hence became politically aware was in 1980. The economy in the country and especially in WNY was horrendous. The country was the weakest at any point since pre WWII.  The moral of our country and military was terrible and the discipline even worse.  Iran held 53 of our citizen’s hostage for close to a year.  Gasoline was being rationed and people went to Canada for gas.  Jobs were not to be found and inflation and interest rates were outrages.

Take a guess why I voted for Regan?  Strong leader, bold initiatives, reduces taxes, reduce inflation, stimulate the economy, strengthen the military, make America proud again, and defeat communism.

I learned all of these traits and beliefs from my father and my family life.  But I remember telling my Dad I was voting for Regan and he was shocked.  How could you vote for a Republican he would ask? I said Dad, how could you not vote for Reagan?  You thought me to be strong, be a leader, be proud of your country, save your money, work hard, get educated, nothing is for free, if you want something then go get it, do what ever it takes within the rules, be prepared, make your own opportunities, don’t take no for an answer, be honest, pray to the lord, thank the lord for what you have, be generous and kind to those less fortunate.

I was so naive back then that I really didn’t see it terms of Democrat or Republican I just knew in my heart that Regan was right President for the country and me based on what I knew (which wasn’t much).  I would later find out more about what each party stood for and how things have changed over the years for each party.

But the core principles of my beliefs are still with me that I learned in WNY.  I now live in DC with my wife and two kids and my Dad (living in Florida now) is voting for Bush.  I finally was able to turn his teachings around on him and to make him see the light of the Republican Party and savior to our nation.

Here is why I’m a Republican:

Strong sense of Country and will do anything to protect it.

Support a strong law enforcement policy with fair and tough punishment.

Support equal rights to ALL citizens.

Support and appoint judges that interpret the law not make the law.

Support a strong military.

Support a fair and balanced tax code.

Support a reduction of Federal Government entitlements and related bureaucracies

Support the free enterprise system

Support less Government regulations

Support freedom of speech and the right to bear arms.

Support a strong family unit (no gay marriage)

Support a strong education system

Support strong immigration policy and strict enforcement of those laws

Revamp the litigation, lawsuits and tort laws

Keep the religious faith in our society and our founding principles in the Constitution

Help those who need help, DO NOT help those who CAN help themselves

Revamp the Social Security Entitlement program

Eliminate all special equal rights protection laws and quotas

79310[/snapback]

nice post