Synchronized Diving? AGAIN? REALLY?

stevestojan

I don't think I need to go into a diatribe on how horrible this (mens synchronized diving) is to watch, and/or why it's hard to imagine why its an Olympic event, but why the f--- is it garnering this much TV time? Is there really nothing else going on right now?

Also, we need to review the size of the medals. Someone who excels on shooting a BB Gun shouldn't be rewarded as much as someone who can do what I saw some of those gymnasts do yesterday. Clearly, the gymnasts have dedicate their entire lives to be able to do what seems impossible. And yet we give out the same Gold Silver and Bronze for someone who can shoot a pellet gun with a dead eye? You can do a backflip combined with a full twist and land on a 4" wide balance beam and do three backflips across it and maintain your balance? That's athleticism. You can shoot a BB Gun? That's being able to shoot a BB Gun.

They shouldn't be competing for the same prize. I know the athletes are competing to be the best in the world, and not for the actual medal, but come on... the BB Gun shooters should get some gold flake... the real athletes should be getting some heft.

(Don't believe me that BB gun shooting is an Olympic event?

http://www.myoan.net/shootingart/sm_air_olympic.html

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../1065/SPORTS17)

The Olympic committee needs to get together and decide that just because something is difficult doesn't mean it should be an Olympic event. Hot Tarring a roof on a 90 degree day looks difficult. Doesn't mean you should get a gold medal for it. What's next? Darts?

I don't think I need to go into a diatribe on how horrible this (mens synchronized diving) is to watch, and/or why it's hard to imagine why its an Olympic event, but why the f--- is it garnering this much TV time?

Gay pride....

Someone who excels on shooting a BB Gun shouldn't be rewarded as much as someone who can do what I saw some of those gymnasts do yesterday. Clearly, the gymnasts have dedicate their entire lives to be able to do what seems impossible. And yet we give out the same Gold Silver and Bronze for someone who can shoot a pellet gun with a dead eye?

Hey man, have you ever tried to shoot the star out with a BB gun at the fair? It aint easy man! Even Carnies deserve to be in the Olympics... <_<

I mean shoot, they have Special Olympics for those who are severely handicapped and regular Olympics for those who aren't. Why not throw a bone to those who are borderline retard? [/ieatcrayonz]

http://img229.imagevenue.com/img.php?image...0_122_587lo.jpg

Well, President Bush could have put a finger....

I have a quick question about the picture, and it was something my mom pointed out while she was watching some of the olympics a couple days ago. What is the pick stripe thing the one is wearing accross her stomach, and the black thing the other is wearing over her shoulder for? They look like strips of tape

As for the original post, I admit, some of the "sports" or "events that they put on make me wonder about the olympics. Whats even worse is seeing the list of the different groups fighting to get an event put into the olympics. Synchronized Diving does take some work though, anyone remember ski dancing (or something like that where they were on the side of a mountain and did a gymnastics style dance routine on skis) from a few winter olympics ago? I don't have a problem with the shooting events, it does take alot of training and skill to do what they do, not everyone can just pick up a gun and shoot out the centre of a target.

I have a quick question about the picture, and it was something my mom pointed out while she was watching some of the olympics a couple days ago. What is the pick stripe thing the one is wearing accross her stomach, and the black thing the other is wearing over her shoulder for? They look like strips of tape

As for the original post, I admit, some of the "sports" or "events that they put on make me wonder about the olympics. Whats even worse is seeing the list of the different groups fighting to get an event put into the olympics. Synchronized Diving does take some work though, anyone remember ski dancing (or something like that where they were on the side of a mountain and did a gymnastics style dance routine on skis) from a few winter olympics ago? I don't have a problem with the shooting events, it does take alot of training and skill to do what they do, not everyone can just pick up a gun and shoot out the centre of a target.

I think they are strips of tape- probably holding in place a heating or gel pad of sorts. The reason they look so haphazard is probably so they don't limit mobility.

I think they are strips of tape- probably holding in place a heating or gel pad of sorts. The reason they look so haphazard is probably so they don't limit mobility.

I see, I figured they were for something, like for whiping sweat from hands, or holding something in place, or cover maybe a cut or something, but I had no idea

I see, I figured they were for something, like for whiping sweat from hands, or holding something in place, or cover maybe a cut or something, but I had no idea

NBC had a short segment on this. They said she had arthroscopic surgery on her rotator cuff last year, and that the tape on her shoulder helps with blood circulation.

Yeah, they do look really wierd, I just chalked it up to being in a really really tricky spot- a spot you could isolate, but not without completely locking up a nearby appendage.