interesting "spanish photo scandal"

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing;_...5PShtaqOw05nYcB

Reading the american reactions and the spaniard ones i find this whole story really interesting. I know both countries quite well and while you could think that as occidental countries they'd share the same values it is true that on the "political correctness spectrum" they are really at the opposites. While the US is very sensible to everything involving racial issues, Spain is probably the less sensible occidental country when dealing with racial matters. History (long isolation, low immigration, not involved in modern decolonisation and ww2...) may explain a lot... But it's really interesting how different are the reactions and how we can misundersand each other even inside the occidental world.

Sensible? No, the US is not 'sensible' at all on such matters. Hysterical overrecations to the way a group of people posed for a picture can and should be filed under "who gives a flying f*&k?"

We only have to hear about it endlessly because a-holes like this yahoo writer have nothing interesting or intelligent to say.

I'm sure the Chinese are severely traumatized. How will they ever recover from this???? I'm sure this ranks right up there in their 2000 year history as one of their worst events to deal with.

What's disappointing to me is that, in the midst of all the talk about it being racially offensive (which I do not really care about), we are distracted from the fact that it is painfully and awkwardly unfunny. This is the part that offends me and I think the Spaniards should be held accountable not for being insensitive, but for being unimaginative humorless dullards--a harsher indictment in my opinion.

What's disappointing to me is that, in the midst of all the talk about it being racially offensive (which I do not really care about), we are distracted from the fact that it is painfully and awkwardly unfunny. This is the part that offends me and I think the Spaniards should be held accountable not for being insensitive, but for being unimaginative humorless dullards--a harsher indictment in my opinion.

Nice post. They should be ashamed for their grade 3 level sense of humor.