Laptop Issues

taterhill

My Laptop is not powering up anymore...it turns on for a few seconds and then it shuts down...I am assuming it is something to do witht the power but I hae no idea how to fix such things...any thoughts or does anyone know anyone in the Buffalo area that can look at it....Thanks

I've little knowledge of laptops, tater. But a thought...could an inadvertent change in a laptop's power-savings settings be a cause? Not much help - but I suppose a thing to check out.

it could be, but I cannot even get it on to make any changes or do anything...

yes it worked for a while but now it is happening again without the battery

Have you tried with just the battery and no AC power?

If that doesn't fix it, remove the CDROM drive, Floppy drive, etc (any ejectable drives)

If that doesn't fix it, you've got an internal hardware problem.

If it's under warranty take it for service.

If it's not under warranty, start taking it apart and see when it will power up after taking outa component.

Start with the hard drive, then memory, then CPU. It's possible one or more of these could have just been jarred loose. I see it happen sometimes when people come back from travel and the laptop gets manhandled in transit (usually CPU / heatsink)

Have you tried with just the battery and no AC power?

If that doesn't fix it, remove the CDROM drive, Floppy drive, etc (any ejectable drives)

If that doesn't fix it, you've got an internal hardware problem.

If it's under warranty take it for service.

If it's not under warranty, start taking it apart and see when it will power up after taking outa component.

Start with the hard drive, then memory, then CPU. It's possible one or more of these could have just been jarred loose. I see it happen sometimes when people come back from travel and the laptop gets manhandled in transit (usually CPU / heatsink)

Yes, I recommend this. Go online to the manufacturer's website and look up the service manual. This happens to my laptop a lot, it gets roughed up and sometimes something just physically gets disconnected from the motherboard. If you have a dell you can find your service manual at their website. The only tools you need are those small little screwdrivers.