Beginning of the end for the NBA?

eball

Fuggin pathetic???? Yawn, another "not the way it used to be" post. You are a chef so you're probably a dweeb, and don't even know what you're watching. That's okay. I can't make it through two minutes of the food network. That doesn't mean I need to tell everyone that those people are pathetic and suck at what they do.

Continue to feel free to ignore the USA playing a full-court trap, constantly pressuring the ball all over the defensive end, hitting the boards hard, and showing a genuine interest in winning the game (unlike their 19-point opening loss to Puerto Rico in '04.) I think the best basketball players in the world can be forgiven for trying to electrify a world audience with a few alley-oops when they're up by 27 points in a preliminary game. I think if they're playing Argentina for the gold medal game, and it's tied in the 4th quarter, it's not going to be shake-n-bake, no-look lob passes for dunks.

People who understand basketball saw a motivated, unselfish, determined USA team. If you want to let a few dunks ruin it for you, be my guest.

I realize you want to see short shorts, underhand free throws, and layups. You should watch Ivy League basketball. I hear that Brown-Cornell game that ended 46-44 was a real thriller.

I'm a Chef? I didn't know that. But if you think chefs are dweebs you never crossed knives with some of the toughest mother !@#$ers hiding from society in the underbelly that's is known as the kitchen. People that chose the kitchen because it's one of the few professions you can shoot herion in the back store room and then walk home in the dark alleys of the city with their knives rolled up in a kitchen towel. You'd last probably a full 10 minutes in a professional kitchen. They'd cut you up and serve you for amuse bouche. You'd be crying for the punk thugs that call themselves ballers on the court. Dweeb :wallbash:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly--which is why these USA players who have 10 times the talent of everyone else will just squeak by to get the gold when they should be winning by 40 like the Bird/magic 92 team. They play ghetto ball.

Ahh yes, disguised racism is always good times. Love the ghetto ball comment, you look like a real keen observer when you throw that stuff out there.

The 1992 squad was playing against kids who had never been in an indoor basketball arena before. Most of them grew up playing on courts with no backboards, just rims nailed to a pole. They were awe-struck by Jordan and Bird and Magic...They had only seen them on posters, or on TV if they were lucky. They didn't play against them!! There were FOUR international players in the NBA in 1992. NOW THERE ARE 72!!!!

You're another "The dunkers ruin the game" and yet conveniently forget that the 1992 team didn't have to call one timeout in the tournament because the competition was nowhere near them, and all they were looking to do was alley-oop and dunk. But sshhh, let's not talk about that. They were professionals all the way, including Barkley throwing an elbow at a 5'10" Angolan when the USA was up 56-7.

Frankly, I'll take a 2-point loss in the gold medal game over 50-point wins in a joke "competition." The games are much better, and the USA players are playing cohesively and aggressively. I can't believe people still want to bash them with the old "thugs" routine. These guys are playing the right way, playing for your country, and giving the Beijing crowd some "oohs" and "aahhs" with a few dunks when they're up by 25. What's the big deal?

And your American arrogance just sounds disgusting as you lament that they "squeak by" to win a gold medal, instead of winning by 40. You're probably still trying to get over that swimming victory by just .08, because the US has by far the most talented swimmers in the world and should've dominated them.

No big news there...

We can easily imagine the NBA in 2020 with an european division with teams in

Barcelona

Madrid

Rome

Milano

Athens

Istanbul

Moscow

Lyon

If they don't make it the "closed" european league that the top clubs are planning could become a major competitor for the best players in the World for the NBA...

And an NHL european division with teams in

Prague

Stockholm

Moscow

Helsinki

Berlin

Zurich

Same issue here it's either that or the loss for the NHL of all top russian and eastern europeans to the "new rich" russian teams...

The NFL could have viable teams in Germany or England but probably not enough to make a division making things difficult...

You're another "The dunkers ruin the game" and yet conveniently forget that the 1992 team didn't have to call one timeout in the tournament because the competition was nowhere near them, and all they were looking to do was alley-oop and dunk. But sshhh, let's not talk about that. They were professionals all the way, including Barkley throwing an elbow at a 5'10" Angolan when the USA was up 56-7.

The dunkers have ruined the game and the dream team of the 1992 was the beginning of the end in my opinion of the sport.

Ahh yes, disguised racism is always good times. Love the ghetto ball comment, you look like a real keen observer when you throw that stuff out there.

The 1992 squad was playing against kids who had never been in an indoor basketball arena before. Most of them grew up playing on courts with no backboards, just rims nailed to a pole. They were awe-struck by Jordan and Bird and Magic...They had only seen them on posters, or on TV if they were lucky. They didn't play against them!! There were FOUR international players in the NBA in 1992. NOW THERE ARE 72!!!!

Frankly, I'll take a 2-point loss in the gold medal game over 50-point wins in a joke "competition." The games are much better, and the USA players are playing cohesively and aggressively. I can't believe people still want to bash them with the old "thugs" routine. These guys are playing the right way, playing for your country, and giving the Beijing crowd some "oohs" and "aahhs" with a few dunks when they're up by 25. What's the big deal?

And your American arrogance just sounds disgusting as you lament that they "squeak by" to win a gold medal, instead of winning by 40. You're probably still trying to get over that swimming victory by just .08, because the US has by far the most talented swimmers in the world and should've dominated them.

While the "ghetto ball" term is questionable I don't think it's out of line to debate that "street ball" is not as effective as team basketball. From my own experience I think it's somewhat true. I used to help my uncle and cousin run tryouts for a YMCA travel team, and during those tryouts we saw a lot of very talented guys who played the 1-on-1 street ball style and we saw a lot of guys who played structured, fundamental basketball (from playing on travel teams, high school teams, etc..) 99% of the time the street ball guys couldn't hang with the lesser-talented guys who moved the ball around, who worked to open shots for themselves and teammates, etc. I realize that this is just a small example but I found it amazing when I saw it.

I do agree with your previous assessment of Team USA's win over China, but while they did play a strong team game for the most part, there were still flashes of the NBA isolation style here and there. But I think this team (from what I've seen so far) is doing a better job of getting away from the NBA style and playing the FIBA style than previous USA teams have, and much better than the '04 disaster.