Receivers analysis

Extrapolating their 5-game stats over a full 16 games:

Moulds: 99 rec, 1264 yds, 10 TD

Evans: 32 rec, 794 yds, 3 TD

Reed: 16 rec, 195 yds, 0 TD

Aiken: 6 rec, 38 yds, 0 TD

As everyone already figured, Moulds is having a monstrous season and is pretty much carrying the slack for everyone else.

However, Evans is developing very well after only 5 career NFL games and could have a 2002 Price-like impact by the final quarter of the season. Aiken hasn't been given much playing time, but the coaches must have otherwise liked his development outside the games to promote him to #4 WR and cut Shaw.

The lone sore spot, of course, in our WR corps is Mr. Josh Reed. He's actually regressed since his rookie season. If he doesn't get any better in the next few games, I say promote Aiken to #3, make Reed inactive for the second half of the season, and then cut him when it's over.

Oh, and in case anyone still cares, Peerless Price's 6-game stats over a full 16 games:

Price: 45 rec, 717 yds, 0 TD

You didn't mention 58 TD's!!!!

He's having one hell of a year.

76630[/snapback]

I'm not going to argue whether someone is "overrated" or not (see the Brady post). But a QBs stats have so much to do with the players around him and the offensive scheme. Through 5 games, Culpepper has 18 TD passes and 10 of them are under 5 yards. In fact, I think at least 5 or 6 are from one yard out.

Culpepper is a fantasy machine but as far as being a QB that can win you the Super Bowl, I think he turns it over a bit too much, both interceptions and fumbles.

I'm not going to argue whether someone is "overrated" or not (see the Brady post).  But a QBs stats have so much to do with the players around him and the offensive scheme.  Through 5 games, Culpepper has 18 TD passes and 10 of them are under 5 yards.  In fact, I think at least 5 or 6 are from one yard out.

Culpepper is a fantasy machine but as far as being a QB that can win you the Super Bowl, I think he turns it over a bit too much, both interceptions and fumbles.

76650[/snapback]

And thank god he's a machine...because he's my fantasy QB! Drafted in the second round no less...

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Culpepper is having the MVP season. Who protects his blindside ?

Josh Reed will be out of this league in two years if he doesn't pick it up quick. He has to catch the ball and get rac yards because he surely can't get downfield. He has to be the slowest receiver in the NFL.

I would guess Lee Evans would have 50 catches and 5 TDS

As everyone already figured, Moulds is having a monstrous season and is pretty much carrying the slack for everyone else.

However, Evans is developing very well after only 5 career NFL games and could have a 2002 Price-like impact by the final quarter of the season. Aiken hasn't been given much playing time, but the coaches must have otherwise liked his development outside the games to promote him to #4 WR and cut Shaw.

The lone sore spot, of course, in our WR corps is Mr. Josh Reed. He's actually regressed since his rookie season. If he doesn't get any better in the next few games, I say promote Aiken to #3, make Reed inactive for the second half of the season, and then cut him when it's over.

Oh, and in case anyone still cares, Peerless Price's 6-game stats over a full 16 games:

Price: 45 rec, 717 yds, 0 TD

76520[/snapback]

I'm not going to argue whether someone is "overrated" or not (see the Brady post).  But a QBs stats have so much to do with the players around him and the offensive scheme.  Through 5 games, Culpepper has 18 TD passes and 10 of them are under 5 yards.  In fact, I think at least 5 or 6 are from one yard out.

76650[/snapback]

But compare the Vikes' goaline offense to the Bills', and you'll see why Minnesota has a winning record.

Minnesota also has three injured RBs, and a RB on suspension. Culpepper is picking up the slack on the goaline.

As far as winning the Super Bowl, I wouldn't count him out. He's still a young guy who's in the process of maturing. He looks like he's growing out of those mistakes you mention.

76520[/snapback]

Exactly why the cutting of Bobby Shaw is a complete mystery to me. He was always productive and was someone that Bledsoe looked to for possession type catches. Reed is at the end of the line as far as I'm concerned. He's had his chance over the last couple of years and has shown nothing.

76650[/snapback]

you are right-

I'd rather have Drew Bledsoe any day of the week (except on Sundays). :devil:

It is positively amazing that so many of you are willing to write off a young player who spent the first 2 seasons of his career playing in the worst system in the NFL and thus far this season has seen less than 2 balls a week thrown his way by a QB known for locking onto a single favorite receiver. The stats so far this season more than show that.

Josh Reed has all the tools to succeed in the NFL. He is still paying dearly for struggling the first few games of last season both on the field (with his QB) and with the fans.

If he regressed so much, why did he immediately become Drew's favorite target the 2 weeks Moulds was hurt last season? In the Washington game he caught 8 balls for over 100 yards and a TD as the primary option.

If Josh Reed is cut loose this offseason, we will rue the day. Especially since he'll likely end up someplace like Foxboro, where the coaches like players who do all the little things and aren't distractions when things aren't going their way.

It is positively amazing that so many of you are willing to write off a young player who spent the first 2 seasons of his career playing in the worst system in the NFL and thus far this season has seen less than 2 balls a week thrown his way by a QB known for locking onto a single favorite receiver.  The stats so far this season more than show that.

Josh Reed has all the tools to succeed in the NFL.  He is still paying dearly for struggling the first few games of last season both on the field (with his QB) and with the fans. 

If he regressed so much, why did he immediately become Drew's favorite target the 2 weeks Moulds was hurt last season?  In the Washington game he caught 8 balls for over 100 yards and a TD as the primary option.

If Josh Reed is cut loose this offseason, we will rue the day.  Especially since he'll likely end up someplace like Foxboro, where the coaches like players who do all the little things and aren't distractions when things aren't going their way.

77524[/snapback]

So you're saying Reed's lack of production is mostly Drew's fault for locking too much onto Moulds? I guess I could buy that argument, especially since the Patriots are loaded with short and slow WR's like Reed who each still somehow manages to get open and receive an even amount of passes from Brady.

Anyone else want to comment on Reed?

So you're saying Reed's lack of production is mostly Drew's fault for locking too much onto Moulds? I guess I could buy that argument, especially since the Patriots are loaded with short and slow WR's like Reed who each still somehow manages to get open and receive an even amount of passes from Brady.

77545[/snapback]

I think he fits best as the third WR in the slot. Hopefully that's where he'll play the rest of the year.

It's hardly complete to project our receivers numbers for the season while ignoring the most critical stat affecting our W/L record- here's the extrapolations with that stat included:

Moulds: 99 rec, 1264 yds, 10 TD 10 Dropped Passes

Evans: 32 rec, 794 yds, 3 TD 3 Dropped Passes

Reed: 16 rec, 195 yds, 0 TD 10 Dropped Passes

Aiken: 6 rec, 38 yds, 0 TD 3 Dropped Passes

Might go a long way also in explaining some of the fan dissatisfaction with Mr. Reed, who isn't having his first season with dropped pass issues. While I personally like his tangibles, the fact that our #1 has a history of losing easy grabs is exacerbated when receivers down the totem pole have as bad (or in this case worse) problems. With even one of the "Dropnamic Duo" having even a "decent" season in this area this is likely a 3-2 football team right now at worst.

77545[/snapback]

I'm not arguing anything.

Football and athletics in general are about confidence. For awhile, Josh lost his and Drew in turn lost his confidence in Josh. However, after the Jets debacle last year (first game Moulds didn't play and Bobby Shaw showed he was still a journeyman), Drew chose to use JR as his security blanket. His stats the following game were similiar to a Moulds' performance (8 receptions, 110 yards, TD).

As for R.A.C. yards, I've yet to see Drew throw him an accurate pass he could catch in stride. That is the first key. Reed is almost as difficult to bring down on initial contact as Moulds - but we never seem to get him the ball in space.

Last week I only remember one ball going his way, which was a pretty terrific catch early in the game. Tough to put up numbers when you're not being given opportunities.

It's hardly complete to project our receivers numbers for the season while ignoring the most critical stat affecting our W/L record- here's the extrapolations with that stat included:

Moulds: 99 rec, 1264 yds, 10 TD 10 Dropped Passes

Evans: 32 rec, 794 yds, 3 TD 3 Dropped Passes

Reed: 16 rec, 195 yds, 0 TD 10 Dropped Passes

Aiken: 6 rec, 38 yds, 0 TD 3 Dropped Passes

Might go a long way also in explaining some of the fan dissatisfaction with Mr. Reed, who isn't having his first season with dropped pass issues. While I personally like his tangibles, the fact that our #1 has a history of losing easy grabs is exacerbated when receivers down the totem pole have as bad (or in this case worse) problems. With even one of the "Dropnamic Duo" having even a "decent" season in this area this is likely a 3-2 football team right now at worst.

77552[/snapback]

Thanks for adding the dropped pass stats.

So...Josh Reed...dropping about 40% of the passes thrown his way...that could partly explain why Drew is reluctant to throw to him. Not exactly Mr. Clutch here.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

He's not getting opportunities because he can't get open. No speed, no separation, and he's short, so he is pretty much useless in the redzone.