Receivers analysis

Thanks for adding the dropped pass stats.

So...Josh Reed...dropping about 40% of the passes thrown his way...that could partly explain why Drew is reluctant to throw to him.

77560[/snapback]

Those are extrapolated stats. That means he's dropped 3 passes so far this season - if those numbers are completely accurate.

I'm far more concerned with Moulds' continued penchant for dropping the ball and running incorrect routs and both Evans and Aiken dropping catchable balls on plays that could have been game changers than I am with Reed at this point.

Those are extrapolated stats.  That means he's dropped 3 passes so far this season - if those numbers are completely accurate.

77571[/snapback]

They're the subjective numbers of Stats Inc., which include their analysis of all receivers league-wide. They do NOT include balls lost because of QB error (in the opinion of their analysts). That is to say, if Stats "credits" Reed with 3 drops he has had at MINIMUM three catchable balls thrown to him that ended up on the ground or in the hands of a defender. Considering his limited opportunities it's clear Reed is right now one of the league "leaders", if not #1 league-wide, in dropping catchable passes per opportunity.

They're the subjective numbers of Stats Inc., which include their analysis of all receivers league-wide. They do NOT include balls lost because of QB error (in the opinion of their analysts). That is to say, if Stats "credits" Reed with 3 drops he has had at MINIMUM three catchable balls thrown to him that ended up on the ground or in the hands of a defender.  Considering his limited opportunities it's clear Reed is right now one of the league "leaders", if not #1 league-wide, in dropping catchable passes per opportunity.

77660[/snapback]

I would give it credence if the numbers weren't so low and there weren't other obvious factors involved in the lack of production. Since I don't have the luxury of going back to review, I'm going to defer to my own personal brilliance...

;)

Extrapolating their 5-game stats over a full 16 games:

Moulds: 99 rec, 1264 yds, 10 TD

Evans: 32 rec, 794 yds, 3 TD

Reed: 16 rec, 195 yds, 0 TD

Aiken: 6 rec, 38 yds, 0 TD

As everyone already figured, Moulds is having a monstrous season and is pretty much carrying the slack for everyone else.

However, Evans is developing very well after only 5 career NFL games and could have a 2002 Price-like impact by the final quarter of the season. Aiken hasn't been given much playing time, but the coaches must have otherwise liked his development outside the games to promote him to #4 WR and cut Shaw.

The lone sore spot, of course, in our WR corps is Mr. Josh Reed. He's actually regressed since his rookie season. If he doesn't get any better in the next few games, I say promote Aiken to #3, make Reed inactive for the second half of the season, and then cut him when it's over.

Moulds is carrying the slack for everyone else?...I don't think so...we are 1-4.  There is plenty of slack to go around and I seem to remember a few going through his hands and a costly fumble in earlier games.  WE ARE 1-4 and only beat the worst team in football.  If anyone is having a MONSTER season on the Bills it is probably not MONSTER in a positive sense.  Things are looking up.  Everyone has a LOT of work to do.  I wouldn't be passing around a lot of Pro-Bowl bids at this stage of the season.  Let's see what happens in the next few weeks.

Oh, and in case anyone still cares, Peerless Price's 6-game stats over a full 16 games:

Price: 45 rec, 717 yds, 0 TD

76520[/snapback]

He's not getting opportunities because he can't get open. No speed, no separation, and he's short,  so he is pretty much useless in the redzone.

77563[/snapback]

everyone is pretty much useless in the red zone until Drew is not the QB throwing the ball.

I'm not arguing anything. 

Football and athletics in general are about confidence.  For awhile, Josh lost his and Drew in turn lost his confidence in Josh.  However, after the Jets debacle last year (first game Moulds didn't play and Bobby Shaw showed he was still a journeyman), Drew chose to use JR as his security blanket.  His stats the following game were similiar to a Moulds' performance (8 receptions, 110 yards, TD).

As for R.A.C. yards, I've yet to see Drew throw him an accurate pass he could catch in stride.  That is the first key.  Reed is almost as difficult to bring down on initial contact as Moulds - but we never seem to get him the ball in space.

Last week I only remember one ball going his way, which was a pretty terrific catch early in the game.  Tough to put up numbers when you're not being given opportunities.

77554[/snapback]

I agreed with your first post and this one is even better. Can you explain how a guy could be noted for great hands in college, starts dropping passes? It just may be a lack a concentration or as you said, confidence.

But is also seems Drew has a lot of passes dropped, not just by Reed. Do they have stats on QB for dropped passes?