For those of you with DirecTV

sullim4

Here I go hijacking the thread to and getting it moved to the consumer forum...

I have a question about the Harmony remotes. I have a DirecTV HD Box, Samsung Receiver W/DVD Player and surround sound. When I turn on the Receiver to watch TV sometimes the sound is out put out of the television and I have to push a few buttons to get the surround sound going. Do you think the Harmony remote would solve this problem or be handcuffed by this problem?

I have a question about the Harmony remotes. I have a DirecTV HD Box, Samsung Receiver W/DVD Player and surround sound. When I turn on the Receiver to watch TV sometimes the sound is out put out of the television and I have to push a few buttons to get the surround sound going. Do you think the Harmony remote would solve this problem or be handcuffed by this problem?

The Harmony remote would probably handle that. I have not come across any scenario with my home theater that the remote can not control. It walks you through an online setup and asks all pertinent questions for sound output and settings.

Ya, in the online walk through-it will ask you what you want controlling the sound-your receiver or your tv.

The Harmony remote would probably handle that. I have not come across any scenario with my home theater that the remote can not control. It walks you through an online setup and asks all pertinent questions for sound output and settings.

Yeah I guess my concern is that I don't need to do it every time, so I'm thinking that would mess up the macro.

One major problem with the Harmony is that it has to communicate with their servers when you're setting it up -- meaning Logitech (the company that makes the remote) has access to know every peice of electronics you own in your house to use for marketing research. You can't download an application and use it standalone on your PC from what I've read.

I prefer Home Theater Master - it takes a bit more work to setup, but doesn't violate privacy rights and is actually much more flexible if you want to customize things better.

One major problem with the Harmony is that it has to communicate with their servers when you're setting it up -- meaning Logitech (the company that makes the remote) has access to know every peice of electronics you own in your house to use for marketing research. You can't download an application and use it standalone on your PC from what I've read.

I prefer Home Theater Master - it takes a bit more work to setup, but doesn't violate privacy rights and is actually much more flexible if you want to customize things better.

But that little remote is like part of my family now. I don't know what I would do if she died! There would be weeks of mourning.