Here's my Training Camp Report from 7/30/08

Here we go. It's now Day 6 of the Buffalo Bills Training Camp. It's the day after the first night practice, so the team had an afternoon practice today and a morning walk-thru. The players worked out in full pads for the third day in a row and there was a some nice hits. They worked on a few special teams drills, including punt returns, blocking and field goals. The team also worked on the individual drills with their own units, 7-on-7 and the 11-on-11 full team drill, as well as some work in the red zone.

Just like last week, the players started out by working with their individual units. Then they worked on some special teams drills. Bobby April had the team practice covering and returning punts. The punt returners would receive a "punt" from the jugs machine and the drill was basically just to help the gunners out. Roscoe Parrish, Leodis McKelvin, and Fred Jackson were the return men. The drill was mainly for the gunners benefit and the punt returns did not go full strength. But there were a couple nice plays by each returner. Roscoe showed off his speed and ability as he ran down the field on a couple returns. McKelvin impressed me when he made a nice cut that avoided his gunners. He later felt a gunner coming his way on another punt return and ducked, the gunner flew right over him. The crowd the cheered for it. Fred Jackson showed some good return ability too as he dodged the gunners.

The special teams practiced for about 10 minutes and then the team went to work on some 7-on-7 passing drills. Trent Edwards started it out with a 16-yard pass to Lee Evans. He then connected with Josh Reed for 14-yards and 7-yards. Edwards finished the series off with a 5-yard pass to Derek Fine. JP Losman came in and looked like his old self, the one that holds onto the ball way too long. He stood in the pocket on the first play and after many seconds, he finally dumped it off to Fred Jackson for 2-yards. On the next play, JP Losman appeared to have happy feet and wanted to run with it, but would have been sacked. He did finally get it out quicker on the next play as he hit Courtney Anderson for 8-yards. JP finished the series off with another "sack" as he didn't get the ball out fast enough. Trent Edwards came back in and zipped it right out to Robert Royal for 6-yards. He then hit Lee Evans for 5-yards. Edwards finished the series off with two passes to Josh Reed for 9 and 6 yards. Gibran Hamdan came in and threw the ball right to Reggie Corner, who almost made the interception, but he dropped it. He then threw a 13-yard pass to Derek Fine, who impressed the crowd with a nice catch................

CLICK HERE for the rest of the article....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always love reading these reports--excellent work!

As for Kelsay, sounds more like he's doing a great job as opposed to Chambers or Walker sucking.

I expect Kelsay and Schoebel to have monster years with Stroud on that line. It's not that much different than the Titans and Haynesworth. When Haynesworth was on the field last year, the Titans two average DE's, Vanden Bosch and LaBoy, looked like all-pros. When hayensworth went down, those DE's largely disappeared.

Oh and as always, any feedback and/or comments are welcome. :devil:

Great post! Thanks for giving us outsiders the inside scoop, it is very appreciated. I for one am becoming more convinced with each report I hear that Peters is such a valuable piece of the puzzle. I'll just have to hold my breath until he reports to camp. The sooner, the better! Also, I think people need to temper their goals just a little bit and realize that anytime you are installing a new offense with new plays and a very young quarterback, there are going to be growing pains, especially in the beginning. I fully expect the Bills to struggle early during the season but the offense should get better and more comfortable with each game they play.

So? Kelsey is our starting DE, is it better if he gets pancaked every play?

There really is no win here.

Well that would happen if he was going up against Peters like he should be. Sorry, I just think our ends are average and above average (Kelsey, Schobel)

So? Kelsey is our starting DE, is it better if he gets pancaked every play?

There really is no win here.

No, but you like to see our OTs hold their own at least for a little bit. Chambers wasn't doing that. He was getting pushed right towards the QB or the DE was going right around him.

Excellent report, much appreciated.

Chambers making Kelsay look like an all-pro... :thumbsup:

Too bad the NFL doesn't play 7-on-7, we would be a shoe-in for SB.

Greer always pwns during training camp.

Greer always pwns at camp, and honestly I think he's very underrated. I hope he keeps his job, because he's done nothing for it to be taken away.

After reading the article I can't get over the feeling that the Bills really should have drafted an offensive lineman like Brandon Albert, Ryan Clady or Chris Williams with their first round pick. I love Greer as our starting CB opposite McGee, and have this nagging feeling that McKelvin was a luxury pick on a team that really needed to try and give Marshawn a top unit in front of him. They also didn't need another return guy which is McKelvin's other specialty. I think this might have been a missed opportunity to help our team build towards a dominant offensive line.

Man-if Kelsey is owing Chambers in camp-the Bills' are F' if he is our LT.

I really don't get the criticism of Chris Kelsay. He is a very solid DE and I expect him to have a great year with 6-8 sacks. :thumbsup:

Nice job Mike (as usual). I noticed in one of your pictures that Crowell was not playing yesterday. Any idea why?

Oh sh--, I knew I was missing something in my report. Both Angelo Crowell and Aaron Schobel were held out of practice. Schobel had a death in the family and was not there. He was replaced by Ryan Denney. Crowell was held out practice with a hurt knee. He missed the Tuesday practice too. Also, Steve Johnson had his knee wrapped and missed practice.

After reading the article I can't get over the feeling that the Bills really should have drafted an offensive lineman like Brandon Albert, Ryan Clady or Chris Williams with their first round pick. I love Greer as our starting CB opposite McGee, and have this nagging feeling that McKelvin was a luxury pick on a team that really needed to try and give Marshawn a top unit in front of him. They also didn't need another return guy which is McKelvin's other specialty. I think this might have been a missed opportunity to help our team build towards a dominant offensive line.

I think both McGee and Greer played way over there heads last year with career years. If McKelvin is a pro-bowl caliber CB like Mike Mayock predicts (and who's evaluations I respect) I love the pick. Remember, the WR class was very weak and WR was the Bills biggest need after they aquired Stroud. :thumbsup: