Automobile Repair Question

Seems I discovered a "broken belt" or something similar on one of my car's tires... Most likely from an impact like a pot hole. A bulge on the sidewall where the air has worked into the plys...

My car is AWD... Everything that I have heard is that you should replace all four tires at the same time... Maybe at least two... In order to have equal worn tires and not screw up the AWD system.

My question is... What about tire shaving? Buy one tire and have it shaved down to the tread depth of the other 3...

Has anybody done this? My tires have about 30k on them and most likely have another 30k left... Why would I want to puke the 3 good tires?

I heard that tire shaving costs anywhere from 10 bucks to 35 bucks.

Again... Has anybody done this?

And it isn't like the tires are cheap, which makes me think the shaving route is the most economical... My wheels are a hard to find (in many brands) P235/55/19 that can cost almost 300 a piece...

??

Seems I discovered a "broken belt" or something similar on one of my car's tires... Most likely from an impact like a pot hole. A bulge on the sidewall where the air has worked into the plys...

My car is AWD... Everything that I have heard is that you should replace all four tires at the same time... Maybe at least two... In order to have equal worn tires and not screw up the AWD system.

My question is... What about tire shaving? Buy one tire and have it shaved down to the tread depth of the other 3...

Has anybody done this? My tires have about 30k on them and most likely have another 30k left... Why would I want to puke the 3 good tires?

I heard that tire shaving costs anywhere from 10 bucks to 35 bucks.

Again... Has anybody done this?

And it isn't like the tires are cheap, which makes me think the shaving route is the most economical... My wheels are a hard to find (in many brands) P235/55/19 that can cost almost 300 a piece...

??

Shaving seems the way to go...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=18

Thanks!

I know all the car makers are different... One would think that if a tire had at least the difference between new and say 2/32" tread depth (depth at which one should change their tires), that putting the same make, model, and size tire wouldn't be a problem on AWD vehicles...

I just find it hard to believe that 5/16" to 2/32" makes a difference...??

Any thoughts on that Cincy?

This has to be a big money maker for dealers and tire makers alike!

:cry:

Had I a full size spare... I would have just been rotating that in. Then again, it is the wife's ride and I let the the dealer do everything (free oil changes, etc...)... So heck, I haven't even peeked at the spare, it might be full size... God, I feel like I am slipping... Since I do everything myself with my ride (the Jeep)... :worthy: Maybe I should continue playing Ponitus Pilot (the tires are Michelin Pilots B-) ) and not get innvolved and just let the wife fork out the check for 4 new tires. Just what the dealer wants no doubt... ;)

Thanks!

I know all the car makers are different... One would think that if a tire had at least the difference between new and say 2/32" tread depth (depth at which one should change their tires), that putting the same make, model, and size tire wouldn't be a problem on AWD vehicles...

I just find it hard to believe that 5/16" to 2/32" makes a difference...??

Any thoughts on that Cincy?

This has to be a big money maker for dealers and tire makers alike!

:cry:

Had I a full size spare... I would have just been rotating that in. Then again, it is the wife's ride and I let the the dealer do everything (free oil changes, etc...)... So heck, I haven't even peeked at the spare, it might be full size... God, I feel like I am slipping... Since I do everything myself with my ride (the Jeep)... :worthy: Maybe I should continue playing Ponitus Pilot (the tires are Michelin Pilots B-) ) and not get innvolved and just let the wife fork out the check for 4 new tires. Just what the dealer wants no doubt... ;)

1st thought...for many decades, rear wheel drive, snow tires and tire chains somehow got us through... :P

2nd thought...Pontius Pilate... B-)

I was aware of cautions about Subarus with automatics and rear limited-slip. I've no idea about your Pacifica.

If you think tire shaving is a moneymaker, wait until the 2008's start needing tires. Starting with MY2008, the Feds have mandated that signal transmitters be inserted inside the rim to monitor tire pressure.

They require special care when tires are mounted/dismounted - an expense to be passed along. They are approximately 50 bucks each, and will in time fail and get damaged. And add 200 bucks cost or so to those that have an extra set of rims/tires for summer or winter usage.

It's my understanding that the disabling of the low-pressure warning circuits is difficult. I've heard anecdotes that disabling can also disable anti-lock brakes. Yikes.

The sad thing is, is that ABS can detect low tire pressure somewhere (but not one specific tire). ABS notes differences in tire rotation speed...under-inflated tires slip more. Previous pressure monitoring systems took advantage of that. Had the mandate been ABS across the board, lower-prices models and some mid-price models would gain ABS - which is a nice thing.

2nd thought...Pontius Pilate... ;)

I was aware of cautions about Subarus with automatics and rear limited-slip. I've no idea about your Pacifica.

If you think tire shaving is a moneymaker, wait until the 2008's start needing tires. Starting with MY2008, the Feds have mandated that signal transmitters be inserted inside the rim to monitor tire pressure.

They require special care when tires are mounted/dismounted - an expense to be passed along. They are approximately 50 bucks each, and will in time fail and get damaged. And add 200 bucks cost or so to those that have an extra set of rims/tires for summer or winter usage.

It's my understanding that the disabling of the low-pressure warning circuits is difficult. I've heard anecdotes that disabling can also disable anti-lock brakes. Yikes.

The sad thing is, is that ABS can detect low tire pressure somewhere (but not one specific tire). ABS notes differences in tire rotation speed...under-inflated tires slip more. Previous pressure monitoring systems took advantage of that. Had the mandate been ABS across the board, lower-prices models and some mid-price models would gain ABS - which is a nice thing.

Oops... :cry: On the "Pilot."

My Pacifica has the TPMS for pressure. I am not so sure shaving is a money maker, IMO seems to be a money saver... Telling people they need 4 new tires and puking 3 good tires with 10's of k miles left seems like the money maker!

Who the heck gets 60,000 from a set of tires? At 40,000 there isn't enough tread IMO for them to be safe any more, especially in snow or heavy rain

Go to Tire Rack; your size

Me... Rotating at 6 to 9k.

True what you say about the softer compounds.

At 30K I have about 6/32 left or about half, considering you change at about 2/32... Now, These OEM's I usually get about over 50K or more.

The thing is, I usually switch to Toyos and a harder compound after the OEM's wear (sacrificing handle for wear)... I can get almost 80k on their nice touring tire (Spectrum, 800, or whatever they call them now)... Toyo doesn't make this size... ;)<_<

I might go with 4 new:

Hankook Optimo H725

@ 50 to 60k... Those are rated at 600 tread ALMOST DOUBLE THAN THE OEM MICHELIN'S... Imagine what mileage they get!

At least 80K if not more... I suppose under proper alignment, and consistent rotation regime...

Oh... And the bummer is the Pacifica has a temp as the spare (under the car)... :unsure:

I have busted many a belt where I live ,dirt road. I just buy one new one and that is that. I never had a problem ,steering, grip or any problem to my Awd ,front wheel drive,4 wheel drive.

See that is my thinking... Not that I am Mario Andretti and cornering at over 60 mph's... Heck, the wife drives the thing mainly and she is more timid... When I get in it, the tranny has to adjust to the way I drive! I literally inherit a "dog" when I take over the reins... The the tranny adjusts to my style of driving and acceleration on the Chrysler... And by no means am I an agressive driver! ;)

I suppose for utter performance, going the OEM suggested way... All four is the way to go! That must be the line the dealer sticks to, not knowing what people will actually do with the vehicle.

Who the heck gets 60,000 from a set of tires? At 40,000 there isn't enough tread IMO for them to be safe any more, especially in snow or heavy rain

Go to Tire Rack; your size

I'm at 62,000 miles on mine and still a a few more miles in them. I'll change all four of them at my next service in a few weeks.

If it was my car, I'd leave the bum tire on it and send it and the wife to Germany to drive on the autobahn.

But seriously, do you get any wobble from that tire? I've had some tires with sidewall undulations that never gave any problems. Note that I'm not talking about an obvious bubble.

I realize that's an unusual size, but have you checked for used ones anywhere?

Tire shaving, much like filling your tire with Nitrogen, are some of the biggest jokes in the auto industry. Put a new tire on, you'll be fine.

Believe it or not... I called my Chrysler dealer and they said it would be OKAY to puty one full treaded tire... I didn't trust other dealers, so I got a second and third dealer opinion... THEY SAID THE SAME THING, IT IS OKAY!

Wow... Refreshing... Who the eff is starting this crap? Actually, it was Dunn Tire in West Seneca where I first heard I needed 4 new... I was leaving town a couple of weeks ago and noticed the sidewall bulge... Risky I now... But, I waited till I got back to Illinois to get it changed. Ordered at the place where I normally get all my tires... Getting ONE full treaded tire put on tommorrow...

:sick::sick:

Now the crazy part (well, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the ride):

Almost 300 smackers with it installed and balanced!

:sick::sick::P:lol:

No wonder some tire dealers want me to buy 4!

If it was my car, I'd leave the bum tire on it and send it and the wife to Germany to drive on the autobahn.

But seriously, do you get any wobble from that tire? I've had some tires with sidewall undulations that never gave any problems. Note that I'm not talking about an obvious bubble.

I realize that's an unusual size, but have you checked for used ones anywhere?

I can't find used in that size. CD, I was thinking the same thing... Drove home (525 miles) from BFLO and have been driving on it for over a week (no real hwy driving though)...

The thing that worries me is that it is dry-rotted and starting to show cracks around the bubble. A not really big bubble... But air got in between the plys and caused the bubble...

Half joking with my wife... I told her, don't drive fast and if you see the TPMS (pressure light) come on something is wrong with that tire and stop... :P:sick:

But, really... If it was just me driving it... I would probably let it go and just insepect it religiously... I most likely could drive it out if something should go wrong... But them I am risking more expensive damage... I can't have it on my conscience with others driving the car though!

:lol:

Believe it or not... I called my Chrysler dealer and they said it would be OKAY to puty one full treaded tire... I didn't trust other dealers, so I got a second and third dealer opinion... THEY SAID THE SAME THING, IT IS OKAY!

Wow... Refreshing... Who the eff is starting this crap? Actually, it was Dunn Tire in West Seneca where I first heard I needed 4 new... I was leaving town a couple of weeks ago and noticed the sidewall bulge... Risky I now... But, I waited till I got back to Illinois to get it changed. Ordered at the place where I normally get all my tires... Getting ONE full treaded tire put on tommorrow...

Good that you can replace the one tire. And heavy shame on you for letting the vehicle be driven with sidewall damage.

You are courting a blowout at speed... :P

Good that you can replace the one tire. And heavy shame on you for letting the vehicle be driven with sidewall damage.

You are courting a blowout at speed... :D

I know, I know... Shame on me... If I did it right a way, I surely would have been out raked with an uneeded expense. It was a calculated risk that I shouldn't have taken (which weighed heavily on that it was a small looking defect), but it isn't the size and type of tire that most places stock anyway... I would have had to leave BFLO on that tire or the temp spare or stay put for a few days...

<_<

Me... Rotating at 6 to 9k.

True what you say about the softer compounds.

At 30K I have about 6/32 left or about half, considering you change at about 2/32... Now, These OEM's I usually get about over 50K or more.

The thing is, I usually switch to Toyos and a harder compound after the OEM's wear (sacrificing handle for wear)... I can get almost 80k on their nice touring tire (Spectrum, 800, or whatever they call them now)... Toyo doesn't make this size... :D<_<

I might go with 4 new:

Hankook Optimo H725

@ 50 to 60k... Those are rated at 600 tread ALMOST DOUBLE THAN THE OEM MICHELIN'S... Imagine what mileage they get!

At least 80K if not more... I suppose under proper alignment, and consistent rotation regime...

Oh... And the bummer is the Pacifica has a temp as the spare (under the car)... :lol:

Wow, you and SD Fan do pretty good with your tires. My OEM Goodyears on my Town & Country are darn close to wear bars at 44,000 miles. Could I squeeze another 10,000? Probably, but a set of 4 puts me back about $350, so I go with the new tires

I've never been a fan of rotation. Too many times after that I end up with a car that pulls to one side after rotation. I do it once at maybe 15,000 and that's it

Wow, you and SD Fan do pretty good with your tires. My OEM Goodyears on my Town & Country are darn close to wear bars at 44,000 miles. Could I squeeze another 10,000? Probably, but a set of 4 puts me back about $350, so I go with the new tires

I've never been a fan of rotation. Too many times after that I end up with a car that pulls to one side after rotation. I do it once at maybe 15,000 and that's it

With me it isn't really money... Just getting the most I can... Even know a set for the car mentioned above will go for about over 1 grand!...

Wow... I rotate every 6k to 9k... Never have alignment problems... Usually get it aligned here and there.

My sister was vexing... I took over here car and she said that she was only getting 25k on the last set of Pirellis (see always bought the "glitzy name" :devil:;) )... I took over her car and put a new set of Toyo's on and discovered that the car had a bent spindle.

Really, tire wear is very important on a number of issues that are taking place.