Pittsburgh recommendations?

DPR4444

We had a great time back in May at the Pirates game, then closing down McFaddens between the 2 stadiums - out by right field, if I remember correctly. There was a McFaddens in Cincinnati, which the owners closed and turned into a Blackfinn, but that McFaddens was WAY better...lots of hot girls dancing on the bars and relatively cheap drinks. I was amazed by the number of attractive women in Pittsburgh.

I would disagree with Primanti Brothers. I went there, just to say that I did, and it was absolutely disgusting. Stale french fries, on top of a cheesesteak that was more like a salisbury steak...the only good part of the meal was the cole slaw, and it would've been mediocre anywhere else.

We had a great time back in May at the Pirates game, then closing down McFaddens between the 2 stadiums - out by right field, if I remember correctly. There was a McFaddens in Cincinnati, which the owners closed and turned into a Blackfinn, but that McFaddens was WAY better...lots of hot girls dancing on the bars and relatively cheap drinks. I was amazed by the number of attractive women in Pittsburgh.

I would disagree with Primanti Brothers. I went there, just to say that I did, and it was absolutely disgusting. Stale french fries, on top of a cheesesteak that was more like a salisbury steak...the only good part of the meal was the cole slaw, and it would've been mediocre anywhere else.

Haven't been to Primanti' in over 20 years now. Funny, JR said there was one in the strip district, way back in da day that was the only one I think. But I digress.

If I was in da Burgh, I would take a 75 mile drive north on RT 79 to Slippery Rock. Go to the house at the end of High street that has had water polo players living in it for the last 30 years, say you know PLENZ, and grab a beer from the homemade kegerator that still works after I and 3 of my roomates built it in 1984!. Then go to Bobs sub shop and have a Bobs Slob.

If I was in da Burgh, I would take a 75 mile drive north on RT 79 to Slippery Rock.

If you're gonna drive that far north up I79 might as well add another 50 miles and drive to Erie. Enjoy some of the best (arguably the best) fresh water beaches in the US

And right before the game make sure you walk across the parking lot towards Federal and grab a grilled cheese in the 222 Bar. It's a P'burgh tradition.

You might want to bring a knife too; and I don't mean for the sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back from vacation, and my couple of days in Pittsburgh were really great.

I won;t bore you with all the details, so here is the Cliff Notes version -

First night - Duquesne Incline. Amazing views which turned into some decent photographs, hampered only by the photographer (me).

Drinks and food and watched the Pirates lose at Redbeard's on Shiloh.

More drinks at the Square.

Second day - Strip Section - street vendors, shops, etc. Got a Pirates shirt and an Iron City beer t-shirt and tried to avoid the overwhelming Steelers merchandise.

Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum - amazing stuff in here. One of the highlights of the trip.

Drove to Washington PA for a Washington Wild Things baseball game. It was Chris Sidick Bobblehead Night! I don;t really know who Chris Sidick is, but I hope he has a Hall of Fame career in the majors so my bobblehead becomes a collector's item.

(More drinks here too)

Third day - Riverwalk. Clemente Bridge. Day tour of PNC Park (well worth the $6)

Pirates Game at night ( they actually won!). More Iron City beer.

In short, Pittsburgh is a great city to visit - everyone we encountered was friendly, and there is lots of interesting stuff to do.

Third day - Riverwalk. Clemente Bridge. Day tour of PNC Park (well worth the $6)

Pirates Game at night ( they actually won!). More Iron City beer.

How awesome is that stadium? Beautiful park, I was pleasantly surprised. Pittsburgh as a whole was pretty impressive, I had never really been there so I didn't know what to expect. A lot of the rust belt cities are "sneaky cool," Cleveland's got some great spots, Pittsburgh is a legit city, and even Buffalo can shine (if you have the right tour guide.)

I was also out in SD a few weeks ago and caught a came at Petco, another gorgeous place to watch a game.

In short, Pittsburgh is a great city to visit - everyone we encountered was friendly, and there is lots of interesting stuff to do.

Glad you had an enjoyable vacation.

If you return...Carnegie Museum, Old Economy Village, river rafting on the Youghiogheny, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house, the Laurel Mountains (great X-C skiing), Trout fishing in Jacob's Creek, spelunking, etc.