If the Packers had an owner...

Buftex

My sister-in-law lives in Green Bay and she was in town for a visit this weekend. I asked her about the whole Favre mess and here's what she told me:

They recently did a survey can called every single phone number in the Green Bay area. They asked if Favre should be:

1. Brought back to the team an made the starter

2. Brought back but only as a backup

3. Be traded.

She told me the results were almost evenly split. She also mentioned that they're going after Minnesota hard because apparently there was a lot of back and forth travel from the coach of the Vikings that Favre knows to his home in GB.

One final point, she said that the general consensus in Green Bay is that Brett could have gone down as a legend but his arrogance and apparent unwillingness to hang up the cleats is really starting to piss people off.

I would wish him well anywhere but I don't think I would be afraid of him.

I have always been a JP supporter but -when thinking of my answer to your post , I realize I have cut him Loose.

GO BILLS!

OOPs! I wrote this post in reply to a post that asked if we would mind if JP went to Miami or the Jets/

What happened??

My sister-in-law lives in Green Bay and she was in town for a visit this weekend. I asked her about the whole Favre mess and here's what she told me:

They recently did a survey can called every single phone number in the Green Bay area. They asked if Favre should be:

1. Brought back to the team an made the starter

2. Brought back but only as a backup

3. Be traded.

She told me the results were almost evenly split. She also mentioned that they're going after Minnesota hard because apparently there was a lot of back and forth travel from the coach of the Vikings that Favre knows to his home in GB.

One final point, she said that the general consensus in Green Bay is that Brett could have gone down as a legend but his arrogance and apparent unwillingness to hang up the cleats is really starting to piss people off.

I find this hard to believe. It's hard for me to imagine anyone in GB not loving Favre and wanting him back.

Truth is, I don't even like GB, but I love Brett Favre. I'm one of those people who falls into the catergory of people who think Favre can do whatever he wants, no questions asked. I honestly think he's earned that right.

I find this hard to believe. It's hard for me to imagine anyone in GB not loving Favre and wanting him back.

Truth is, I don't even like GB, but I love Brett Favre. I'm one of those people who falls into the catergory of people who think Favre can do whatever he wants, no questions asked. I honestly think he's earned that right.

I think Green Bay, no matter how big an ego-maniac Favre is, has handled this whole thing miserably. The blame goes to both sides (team and player), but in the end, most football fans will remember only the great plays Favre made over the years...if the Packers don't make the playoffs this season, this will look like a big screw up on their part.

In this whole process, the lid has been blown off the whole perception that Green Bay is some sort of small town football utopia, somehow, immune from the problems that other franchises go through. Arguably the greatest player in their franchise history, has a big, unnecessary black mark on his resume. Part of what makes the Packers a "special" franchise, beyond their unique ownership situation, is their storied past written by Hall of Fame players, and the mystique that past holds amongst football fans. Favre was the guy who rebuilt that. The greatest Packer of the last 40 years, and maybe of all time. Now, this divorce has gotten ugly...Packer fans are saying "enough already" to Favre. Just a sad way for such a great period of Packer football to end. This would be like, IMO, Larry Bird being cut by the Celtics, instead of deciding, ultimately, when he was done. It may be even worse, because, unlike Bird at the end of his career, their is signiifcant evidence to show that Favre still has something left in the tank.

Careful giving that much power to one person, especially a pro athlete with a huge ego.

Mark my words (!), but the Packers will regret not bringing Favre back. The only reason they don't want to is because Aaron Rodgers was drafted by Thompson and McCarthy and they want their guy starting. All this talk of "we changed the offense" is bunk. All they had was OTA's and a minicamp. They can easily go back to the old offense and "re-learn" it in training camp.

Careful giving that much power to one person, especially a pro athlete with a huge ego.

When Sherman was there, he cowtowed to Brett regarding personnel decisions.

Now Thompson is not letting Brett play GM and he is pissed.

Wherever Favre plays this year, he will add to his career interception record.

When Sherman was there, he cowtowed to Brett regarding personnel decisions.

Now Thompson is not letting Brett play GM and he is pissed.

Wherever Favre plays this year, he will add to his career interception record.

But he'll be adding twice as many to his career TD record. :lol:

What I'm surprised about is that Packers Chairman Mark Murphy has had little, if anything, to say about the Favre mess.

Murphy, unlike Thompson and McCarthy, actually played in the NFL for many years at a high level. Not as long as Favre has, but IIRC, Murphy was an all-pro DB for the Redskins in the 80s.

How come he hasn't had anything to say, unless he is letting his football people handle the decision? In the Packers' ownership structure, Mark Murphy acts as CEO and represents the Pack at the owners' meetings. Murphy is new in Green Bay, just a few months into his tenure, but I've been watching closely to see how he handles this situation.