2010 An Uncapped Odyssey

How much does the possibility of an uncapped 2010 play into the Bills need to extend as many promising players as possible? We will be at a distinct disadvantage in an uncapped NFL. Do you think this plays into extending Williams? Do you think others will follow?

How much does the possibility of an uncapped 2010 play into the Bills need to extend as many promising players as possible? We will be at a distinct disadvantage in an uncapped NFL. Do you think this plays into extending Williams? Do you think others will follow?

Very good point--I think it very much plays into what they're doing in extending guys like Butler, Williams, Roscoe (last year) and hopefully Evans and Peters. They have to realize that the direction the League is headed is a distinct disadvantage to them so they need to smartly extend guys now before we get too close to 2010.

Personally, I strongly suspect that big market owners like Kraft, Jones and Snyder knew exactly what they were doing the last CBA go around and got themselves and the League a deal they knew wouldn't work so that they could go uncapped. Lip service aside, these guys want the competitive advantage that going uncapped would give them over the other 2/3rd-3/4ths of the League, parity be damned. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg doesn't bother them at all. MLB here we come.....

The rules are complicated in an uncapped year - it's not a total free-for-all. There would be a limit on how big a contract a player can receive: I think it's about a 25% increase over his last one. Also, playoff teams can't add that many additional players - the top teams can only replace players who leave through unrestricted free agency. Additionally, you would need at least six years of service to be an unrestricted free agent, meaning anyone drafted since 2004 would play by restricted free agency rules. Peters would be stuck. Ditto Edwards, Butler, Hardy, Parrish, Williams, Lynch, McCargo, Puz, DiGiorgio, Whitner, Simpson, McKelvin, Greer. It won't doom us, it would just be a huge, ugly mess for the league and the players.

That's why it's there - to make sure there will be no uncapped year.

The rules are complicated in an uncapped year - it's not a total free-for-all. There would be a limit on how big a contract a player can receive: I think it's about a 25% increase over his last one. Also, playoff teams can't add that many additional players - the top teams can only replace players who leave through unrestricted free agency. Additionally, you would need at least six years of service to be an unrestricted free agent, meaning anyone drafted since 2004 would play by restricted free agency rules. Peters would be stuck. Ditto Edwards, Butler, Hardy, Parrish, Williams, Lynch, McCargo, Puz, DiGiorgio, Whitner, Simpson, McKelvin, Greer. It won't doom us, it would just be a huge, ugly mess for the league and the players.

That's why it's there - to make sure there will be no uncapped year.

Mike is right. Players will have to wait 6 years to become an UFA. Along with everything else that will happen, neither side wants this.

I think (and hope) that they avoid this. They need to get a deal done by March '09. They'll probably strike an agreement at the eleventh hour just to add suspense :thumbsup:.

I also would like to see them cap rookie contracts.

I think the Bills are simply making sound business moves by securing guys they want well before their contracts expire, or before they emerge as a star (see Jason Peters) lol.

I think we resigned these guys to meet the minimum requirement o money you have to spend to satisfy the cba/cap rules.

I don't know about that--I think they planned to extend Evans this offseason before the Peters stuff hit and that alone would put us in decent stead vis-a-vis the cap minimum I'd guess. Before JP fizzled last year, management had to plan for both he and Lee this offseason. Not having to do an extension for both JP and Lee hopefully is going to allow them to do what they need to do to keep both Evans and Peters happy this offseason....