Patrick Lalime

K-Gun10

And the Sabres refused to consider or offer anything close to the 5 year/$25mil that Campbell was seeking last summer. Darcy's foresight proves to be outstanding once again. :thumbdown:

I didn't say he was worth 7 mil. I think he's not worth half of that. Soupy got away with murder. But that's cool, Chicago overpaid.

And the Sabres refused to consider or offer anything close to the 5 year/$25mil that Campbell was seeking last summer. LARRY QUINN's foresight proves to be outstanding once again. :thumbdown:

Fixed your post.

PTR

And the Sabres refused to consider or offer anything close to the 5 year/$25mil that Campbell was seeking last summer. Darcy's foresight proves to be outstanding once again. :pirate:

Big whoop. Soupy's not worth $5 million a year, let alone the $7.1 million ($56 million total) farce of a contract he got today. The NHL is still a garage league...

Big whoop. Soupy's not worth $5 million a year, let alone the $7.1 million ($56 million total) farce of a contract he got today. The NHL is still a garage league...

I understand what you're saying...But I have a feeling that after the rest of this year's defensive crop of free agents is signed, having Campbell locked up thru 2013 at $5 million per season will be looking more and more like a great big missed opportunity. The Sabres front office doesn't like what happens in the open marketplace, but just wishing it wasn't so doesn't make it go away.

It's been obvious the last two offseasons that salaries are going to blast off again. The salary cap has increased each season, and there is always the looming potential of increased revenue if they could ever strike a legit TV deal. My disappointment isn't with not signing Campbell (or whomever else)...It's with the lack of foresight in the front office, and failure to consider the mere possibility that what ONE TEAM considers overpaying could actually turn out to be fiscally responsible over the term of the deal....Especially when you're locking up a proven performer BEFORE they sniff the open market.

But it wasn't a total loss, at least we have Steve Bernier.