What is it about the WR position that makes these guys...

Justice

It seems like WR is the position in the NFL that produces primadonnas more than any other spot. Why is that? Guys like TO, Michael Irvin, Chad Johnson and Randy Moss are diva wannabes. They all showboat and celebrate over-excessively when they score.

Is it because they don't get hit too hard or is it because they don't have to make any hits? Is it because they don't do the dirty work like block and pick up blitzes?

Am I the only one that feels that way about WR's? What do you think?

It makes me happy that none of our wideouts, particularly our best one, fit that description. Evans goes the Marvin Harrison route- Just flip the damn ball to the official after a score.

I agree. You're not gonna get any snow angels or boxing or hall of fame jackets or pom pom shakin' out of Evans.

It seems like WR is the position in the NFL that produces primadonnas more than any other spot. Why is that? Guys like TO, Michael Irvin, Chad Johnson and Randy Moss are diva wannabes. They all showboat and celebrate over-excessively when they score.

Is it because they don't get hit too hard or is it because they don't have to make any hits? Is it because they don't do the dirty work like block and pick up blitzes?

Am I the only one that feels that way about WR's? What do you think?

Because growing up, if you're the most talented of the kids, you usually start off playing RB or WR. So if you play WR, and you know you're one of the most talented players on the team, you want the ball because you know you can make plays. Its rare for a WR to even touch the ball 10 times a game, and that makes you feel like you need to ask for the ball even more, just to get the few opportunities you can. This starts from the earliest of ages. Not getting the ball when you're one of the best players can be frustrating.

Because growing up, if you're the most talented of the kids, you usually start off playing RB or WR. So if you play WR, and you know you're one of the most talented players on the team, you want the ball because you know you can make plays. Its rare for a WR to even touch the ball 10 times a game, and that makes you feel like you need to ask for the ball even more, just to get the few opportunities you can. This starts from the earliest of ages. Not getting the ball when you're one of the best players can be frustrating.

Yeah, I get your point, but what does that have to do with the flamboyant personalities and show boating?

Yeah, I get your point, but what does that have to do with the flamboyant personalities and show boating?

I'd argue that their showboating is no worse than the DE who celebrates like crazy after a sack, or the LB or DB who celebrates afetr a big tackle.

As to why they seem to showboat more? I'd guess a lot of it is because WRs are always in the spotlight. They aren't like RBs, who grind it out on every play. When you see the ball in the hands of a good WR (like the ones you mention), lots of times they are picking up a good chunk of yardage, scoring a TD, getting a first down, etc. WRs usually dont grind it out for 2-3 yards per catch. Since the camera is focused on them when they get the ball, the guys mentioned feed off it and play to it. Some guys do, some dont (Marvin Harrison).

It makes me happy that none of our wideouts, particularly our best one, fit that description. Evans goes the Marvin Harrison route- Just flip the damn ball to the official after a score.

Good lord let's hope he doesn't go that route. Much rather he didnt keep a gun in a bucket outside of a car wash and then shoot someone with it, or choke a kid at the pro bowl.

They are attention whores and their clubs give them what they want. Chad Johnson acted like a kid of years and people like well chad is being chad. The coach finally manned up and started treating him like an adult and then he wants out.