Scouts Inc. Fantasy O-Line rankings

What happened? Everyone was applauding the move to hire Fairchild just over two seasons ago now.

Jauron's still there.

So what's your prediction for the health and productivity of our offense this season?

Mediocrity. Our line is average to a bit above average. Peters is a stud, Dockery is a possible pro bowler, and Butler is up there too. Walker isn't explosive enough to help the running game much and Fowler is just there.

Who knows if Lynch will be there at the start of the season or not. All our RB's have to get better at blitz pickup.

Evans is a given at WR, and Reed should be decent if he is in the slot. Hardy is a rookie and Parrish is an ok extra WR who doesn't run routes. Tight end will be about the same that it has been.

The biggest improvement on offense will come from an extra possession or two and better field position based on our improvement on defense. This could shift the score by 3-7 points in our favor in some games, IMHO

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a stab at this.

30% makes that number look big but truth of the matter is that a 6 TD difference in a season isn't that much. Especially when you take into consideration that the Dolphins took 70 more offensive snaps then the Bills. 70!!! That's a whole other game. That and the Dolphins played from behind in every game, which IMO leads to taking more risks and kicking less FG's.

As far as rushing last year both the Phins and the Bills avg. 4.0 ypc, So thats a wash, however the Bills gave up 26 sacks to the Phins 42. So I'm curious myself why they have them ranked higher.

OK, let me see if I got this right. You're using the Miami Dolphins, the team that came closer to posting a 0-16 record than any other team ever, as the basis for why our having put up only 20 offensive TDs wasn't really that bad?

Have I got that right?

Even so, playing by your rules, we scored a touchdown every 46 plays on average. So let's assume that we had another 70 plays and scored another 2 TDs, that would have been 22, still four short of Miami and still ahead of only the Jets with the number of plays accounted for in that figure. And we finished the game "down" in 9 of 16.

As to the sacks thing, the entire offense, admitted by the team, was built around 3 and 5 step drops so as to limit sacks. That's the big difference in the sack tally.

Mediocrity. Our line is average to a bit above average. Peters is a stud, Dockery is a possible pro bowler, and Butler is up there too. Walker isn't explosive enough to help the running game much and Fowler is just there.

Who knows if Lynch will be there at the start of the season or not. All our RB's have to get better at blitz pickup.

Evans is a given at WR, and Reed should be decent if he is in the slot. Hardy is a rookie and Parrish is an ok extra WR who doesn't run routes. Tight end will be about the same that it has been.

The biggest improvement on offense will come from an extra possession or two and better field position based on our improvement on defense. This could shift the score by 3-7 points in our favor in some games, IMHO

You just cited more than most teams in this league have. So how come with all of that, we were still DFL in just about everything relevant offensively?

I mean how many teams have three OL-men as good as you say, a RB as good as Lynch, and a WR like Evans? Not too many from what I can see, especially w/ teams that scored more offensive points than we did.

30% makes that number look big but truth of the matter is that a 6 TD difference in a season isn't that much. Especially when you take into consideration that the Dolphins took 70 more offensive snaps then the Bills. 70!!! That's a whole other game. That and the Dolphins played from behind in every game, which IMO leads to taking more risks and kicking less FG's.

As far as rushing last year both the Phins and the Bills avg. 4.0 ypc, So thats a wash, however the Bills gave up 26 sacks to the Phins 42. So I'm curious myself why they have them ranked higher.

because they drafted Jake Long to platy LT and signed Smiley and moved Carey back to RT where he belongs.

Samson Satelle is a monster at C and far better than what the Bills have in the middle.

You just cited more than most teams in this league have. So how come with all of that, we were still DFL in just about everything relevant offensively?

I mean how many teams have three OL-men as good as you say, a RB as good as Lynch, and a WR like Evans? Not too many from what I can see, especially w/ teams that scored more offensive points than we did.

Because not having a good center collapses the whole line. Walker's inability to run block hurt us too. How many times was Lynch hit in the backfield- that isn't Fairchild's fault, thats the blocking. Our RB's couldn't pick up the blitz- thats more blocking. When that much blocking is off, you don't have much offense.

We had one starting caliber WR in Evans and a pretty good slot WR in Reed who had to play outside, negating his skills.

We had two young QB's including a rookie....

I say our offense was actually better than it should have been

Because not having a good center collapses the whole line. Walker's inability to run block hurt us too. How many times was Lynch hit in the backfield- that isn't Fairchild's fault, thats the blocking. Our RB's couldn't pick up the blitz- thats more blocking. When that much blocking is off, you don't have much offense.

We had one starting caliber WR in Evans and a pretty good slot WR in Reed who had to play outside, negating his skills.

The unspoken problem with the run game is that Lynch runs to the wrong hole making the line look bad

The unspoken problem with the run game is that Lynch runs to the wrong hole making the line look bad

After switching from DirecTV to Dish, I no longer have the games to watch, so I'll have to take your word for it. My question is, were we still zone blocking at that point, or is it after we starting man blocking more?

It's a below average run blocking unit, and an above average pass blocking unit. That ranking is fair (I'd have them more toward 13 or 15 but it's not outlandish to put them at 21)...they could be judged anywhere in the middle of the pack of NFL teams in terms of their line and I think it would be reasonable.

I think many, many years of attrocious line play has conditioned us to think that the line is better than it is. It's solid now...it was terrible before. It's still not top 10 in the league. They need A LOT more from Dockery in the run game.

After switching from DirecTV to Dish, I no longer have the games to watch, so I'll have to take your word for it. My question is, were we still zone blocking at that point, or is it after we starting man blocking more?

nobody knew what scheme they were running last year, including the players.

with McNally gone, hopefully Kugler will be able to focus on the basics and implement a drive blockig scheme which favors the large bodies on the line.

Maybe the surgery Fowler just had will correct an injuyr that hampered his play far more than was let on. But without any adequate backups, he had to suck it up and play hurt last yeawr.

Good thing they addressed the OL depth this year. :lol:

OK then, the $10,000 question;

With a line ranked 21st and unchanged from last season, with an emerging QB that everyone rants about, with "Beastmode", why did our offense score fewer TDs than any other team in the league last season?

[Name of sacrificial lamb du jour here]. I'll accept cash or check.

Good answer.

30% makes that number look big but truth of the matter is that a 6 TD difference in a season isn't that much. Especially when you take into consideration that the Dolphins took 70 more offensive snaps then the Bills. 70!!! That's a whole other game.

Is this meant as an argument as to why the Dolphins have an inferior OL than the Bills? Because, it doesn't follow. If anything having a whole game more of offensive snaps indicates that the Dolphins offense was significantly superior at moving the chains. Since they had worse skills players, it stands to reason their OL actually played better, eh?

That and the Dolphins played from behind in every game, which IMO leads to taking more risks and kicking less FG's.

I dunno about that. They lost how many games by a field goal or less? I seem to recall someone saying it was a record.

What was the average yardage per attempt for both offenses? The sacks issue may be misleading because the Bills rarely utilized the passing game and it consisted of almost nothing but quick, short passes. That can minimize interceptions and sacks as well as offensive scoring and plays.

nobody knew what scheme they were running last year, including the players.

with McNally gone, hopefully Kugler will be able to focus on the basics and implement a drive blockig scheme which favors the large bodies on the line.

Maybe the surgery Fowler just had will correct an injuyr that hampered his play far more than was let on. But without any adequate backups, he had to suck it up and play hurt last yeawr.

Good thing they addressed the OL depth this year. ;)

There is a reason Fowler never sticks anywhere. He is a band aid until the team finds somebody good. I remember him from his days in Cleveland......He was less effective there than Bentley was.

OK, I'll bite.

Then why all the hope for the offense this year?

It's the same exact thing as what you just said.

It's a below average run blocking unit, and an above average pass blocking unit.

OK, say that's true.

Then why were we tied for last in passing TDs? Granted, we had a rookie QB, but if it was an "above average" pass blocking unit, then why couldn't we put up more than 1 pass TD/game? Why couldn't Edwards, and why did he not put up a single passing TD at all in 6 of 9 starts?

Why were we 30th in passing yards ahead of only the Raiders and Niners?

OK, say that's true.

Then why were we tied for last in passing TDs? Granted, we had a rookie QB, but if it was an "above average" pass blocking unit, then why couldn't we put up more than 1 pass TD/game? Why couldn't Edwards, and why did he not put up a single passing TD at all in 6 of 9 starts?

Why were we 30th in passing yards ahead of only the Raiders and Niners?

Because teams keyed on Lee Evans in the passing game, and we had nobody else that was good enough

OK, I'll bite.

Then why all the hope for the offense this year?

It's the same exact thing as what you just said.

lol, for the same reason we hope every year! I do think we will see an improvement in some offensive categories based on the defense and special teams combining to give us the best drive starts in the league.

Because teams keyed on Lee Evans in the passing game, and we had nobody else that was good enough

lol, for the same reason we hope every year! I do think we will see an improvement in some offensive categories based on the defense and special teams combining to give us the best drive starts in the league.

You think it will be enough to propel us to playoff caliber?

Because teams keyed on Lee Evans in the passing game, and we had nobody else that was good enough.

Well, maybe Lee Evans, as a guy that is basically a straight line deep threat, isn't exactly well suited to a passing offense that focuses on 3 and 5 step drops and getting the ball out instantly.

(That's not saying "he sucks", btw. But, it's sort of hard to confuse him with a Wes Welker-type.)

Well, maybe Lee Evans, as a guy that is basically a straight line deep threat, isn't exactly well suited to a passing offense that focuses on 3 and 5 step drops and getting the ball out instantly.

(That's not saying "he sucks", btw. But, it's sort of hard to confuse him with a Wes Welker-type.)

Very true.

But all of this discussion then more or less tells us that Hardy had better work out and be a monster, because nothing else seems to have changed much; same OL, same QB, same RB (or worse if Lynch is in trouble), same TEs for the most part, same FB.

I just don't see a rookie receiver making that kind of difference to lift this offense much more than maybe a few spots in the rankings offensively. And even if he does, how much will it impact our scoring? I mean we made fewer trips to the red zone than 30 other teams.

Very true.

But all of this discussion then more or less tells us that Hardy had better work out and be a monster, because nothing else seems to have changed much; same OL, same QB, same RB (or worse if Lynch is in trouble), same TEs for the most part, same FB.

I just don't see a rookie receiver making that kind of difference to lift this offense much more than maybe a few spots in the rankings offensively. And even if he does, how much will it impact our scoring? I mean we made fewer trips to the red zone than 30 other teams.

Same QB? Wrong. Edwards was a rookie last year and won't be this year. That's a big change right there. Then there's the OC, who actually played the game and who can't be any worse than Fairchild (seriously). At TE, I think that Schouman will open a lot of eyes. And Hardy's size and speed will force opposing teams to pay attention to him.

Very true.

Do you really think that Trent will be the same quarterback? If so, why? The kid is young and smart. I see no reason not to expect some improvement.