Tim Russert dead @ 58

It's the end of an era. His professional accomplishments aside, try and find ANYONE these days that isn't tainted with societal decay. Russert was an 8 year old boy and the wisest of men, all rolled into one package.

If you are from Buffalo, and you haven't had to choke back tears tonight, you aren't a Buffalonian. You can still say you are from Buffalo, but you aren't a Buffalonian.

Agreed, also little known outside his colleagues, he was also an exec vp, not sure his full role at NBC, but Tim influenced a lot of journalists, more than just the on air reporters and always a gentleman. Met him at National Airport one time and he couldn't have been more gracious and bright hearted. His enthusiastic even handedness in life as well as politics will be sorely missed.

you're right, a senior or exec vp for NBC News, his other title was Washington Bureau Chief

Again ... really? The flags in Buffalo are flying at half-staff tonight. Everyone from President Bush to Nancy Reagan to Barack Obama to John McCain to Walter Cronkite to the Bills organization has weighed in on the passing of a man who TIME recently named one of its "100 most influential people in the world."

In retrospect, he deserved a better spot on the list than between George Clooney and Suzy Orman.

Well damn, sorry if i pissed in anyone's Cocoa Puffs about Russert.

You're not pissing in anyone's Cocoa Puffs. You're just flat out wrong and look foolish by continuing to not recognize that fact.

After a day of it sinking in, you just have to wonder how will this affect the network? TR was a big part of their news-political coverage division. They lost the go-to guy for moderating debates, election-night coverage, and deciphering work-a-day politics.

Remember when ABC lost Peter Jennings, they're still trying to recover from that, tho I think the figurehead of Charles Gibson has started to re-establish the organization there. CBS is in a freefall with Katie Couric (she was a downgrade from Bob Schieffer). Brian Williams pretty much skated into Brokaw's spot with not much changing.

Do they go with David Gregory for Washington chief or to host MTP? That would be a friggin disgrace. Chris Matthews? Meh. Just about everyone I think of cannot live up to what Tim Russert delivered... which was usually... straight answers.

-----

Also wanted to make note about his books. Saw part of a C-SPAN special last night where he extorts the role of our fathers... how they teach us, how they mould us, and how (even tho it can be a hard for them to express, even through the imperfection of our humanity, or circumstances clashing with beliefs that sometimes make it difficult) they love us. It was such a great thing for him to write about this subject, about his own father and other peoples'. Others in his station have written about the Greatest Generation or the Red-Blue divide, Searching for the meaning of America or presidential campaigning. He wrote a book about love. It shows the measure of the man. (Sh--. I'm :cry: now. I almost never cry.) And God, ain't it something almost poetic that tomorrow is Father's Day?

Tim Russert was a great American and a great Buffaloian. Our Buffalo community should be proud to call him our native son and our brethren. RIP Tim and may God bless your family during this time.

Tim made us proud to be called Buffalonians which is evident in the coverage he has received in the press. He wasn’t afraid to wear his feelings on his sleeves and always had Buffalo in his heart. We need more people like Tim in this world who puts his family first and he also loved this great country with all his heart. I didn’t always agree with his political views, but his intellect and the manner in which he conducted himself was unparalleled in this crazy world of partisan politics.

Well damn, sorry if i pissed in anyone's Cocoa Puffs about Russert.

I'll miss him too, but tomorrow morning how will the world be any different now that he's gone?

You really are a !@#$ing !@#$

Also wanted to make note about his books. Saw part of a C-SPAN special last night where he extorts the role of our fathers... how they teach us, how they mould us, and how (even tho it can be a hard for them to express, even through the imperfection of our humanity, or circumstances clashing with beliefs that sometimes make it difficult) they love us. It was such a great thing for him to write about this subject, about his own father and other peoples'. Others in his station have written about the Greatest Generation or the Red-Blue divide, Searching for the meaning of America or presidential campaigning. He wrote a book about love. It shows the measure of the man. (Sh--. I'm :wallbash: now. I almost never cry.) And God, ain't it something almost poetic that tomorrow is Father's Day?

I caught some special last night that NBC was doing in tribute. It was a rerun that TR and Brokaw did about his book Wisdom of our Fathers. He told one genuine story after another; stories that other people had told him about their relationships with their fathers. And he'd laugh after each one like you were sitting next to him on the couch. Amazing...

Sign the petition to have him added to the Wall of Fame - the ultimate 12th Man:

http://www.petitiononline.com/basenji/petition.html

Yeah I thought about that too...until I realized that King Ralph (as in puke) Wilson would probably want it to say "The Tim Russert lettering above the Ralph Wilson Suites at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Ralph Wilson NY should heretofore be recognised...signed his Royalness Ralph Wilson King of WNY and soon Tonto Ont"

Yeah I thought about that too...until I realized that King Ralph (as in puke) Wilson would probably want it to say "The Tim Russert lettering above the Ralph Wilson Suites at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Ralph Wilson NY should heretofore be recognised...signed his Royalness Ralph Wilson King of WNY and soon Tonto Ont"

First. It makes no sense to have Russert on the wall. Second, your post is pointless. Third, based on the second point, you and jimshiz make a perfect team!

First. It makes no sense to have Russert on the wall. Second, your post is pointless. Third, based on the second point, you and jimshiz make a perfect team!

I was for it in the same sense that I can understand the "12th Man" on the Wall. I know he is just one member what it means to be the "12th Man", so he is already up there. But, he was a good national sounding board for Buffalo and the Bills. You'll find that BishopHedd & I are probably diametrically opposed on most issues, so we would not be a perfect team.