Micheal Vick

Guest dog14787

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=...&id=6195924

Michael Vick still faces state dogfighting charges

State trial begins only after Vick serves federal sentence

RICHMOND, Va. (WJRT) -- (06/10/08) -- It was a practical move more than anything else. But it does mean Michael Vick's trial on dogfighting charges in Virginia will wait until he and his co-defendants are done with their federal prison sentences.

A prosecutor in Virginia says it would cost too much to get Vick and the other two prisoners from where they are serving their sentences and bring them to Virginia for their trials -- then pay to get them back to their respective prisons.

Vick is now serving a 23-month prison sentence after pleading guilty to federal charges in a dogfighting operation. The others two men got 21-month sentences.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, havent seen you in your typical "vick defender" role in a long time. I suppose it was his coach's, WR's, and OC's fault that he is in prison for dogfighting, too?

It's amazing how you will be the first to manufacture excuses for your boy JP Losman when he $hits the bed. You'll cite the offense he's in, the scheme he is being subjected to execute, the offensive coordinator's play calls, etc...

Yet when it comes to Vick, he sucks -- plain and simple.

PS - Vick was driving Marshawn's Porsche SUV that night too, right? :lol:

It's amazing how you will be the first to manufacture excuses for your boy JP Losman when he $hits the bed. You'll cite the offense he's in, the scheme he is being subjected to execute, the offensive coordinator's play calls, etc...

Yet when it comes to Vick, he sucks -- plain and simple.

PS - Vick was driving Marshawn's Porsche SUV that night too, right? :lol:

Vick - 67 starts, 65 of which he knew he was the undisputed started and didnt need to look over his shoulder and worry about being benched due to an inept coaching staff. Losman, 31 starts, only 16 of which he didnt need to look over his shoulder. Theres a bit of a difference there. Even YOU should be able to see that. Vick was and always be a hell of an athlete, but he was a garbage QB. Vince Young is following the same path.

I find it funny how you are the first to manufacture excuses for Vick about why he shouldnt be in prison, yet with Lynch, he's automatically guilty. It fits your typical trollish behavior of trashing and tearing down the Bills.

Vick - 67 starts, 65 of which he knew he was the undisputed started and didnt need to look over his shoulder and worry about being benched due to an inept coaching staff. Losman, 31 starts, only 16 of which he didnt need to look over his shoulder. Theres a bit of a difference there. Even YOU should be able to see that. Vick was and always be a hell of an athlete, but he was a garbage QB. Vince Young is following the same path.

Vick & Young may not put up the stats that you obsess over in a QB -- but they execute on the stat that matters most: W's. They have managed to win games despite lackluster talent around them. And of course, leave it to you to even try and compare JP Losman to Vick. Vick has had great success in the league, very early in his career. He's made 3 Pro Bowls, he has led his team to division titles, and he's won a road playoff game -- this despite not having a reliable wide receiver to throw to.

Yeah, the coaches were real inept for leaving him in there.

Young also had success relatively quickly reaching the playoffs and getting a Pro Bowl nod in his second year as a starter. And the talent at the offensive skill positions is nonexistent! But I suppose Jeff Fisher doesn't know what he's doing, too. :lol:

Thankfully, the Bills brass disagrees with your assessment on JP and realized pretty quickly that JP wasn't the answer and have put their faith in the youngster.

I find it funny how you are the first to manufacture excuses for Vick about why he shouldnt be in prison, yet with Lynch, he's automatically guilty.

You were awfully quick to jump to conclusions on Vick's affiliation with dogfighting because it happened at a property he owned. Yet you're suddenly a proponent of "waiting for the facts" in deciding whether or not Marshawn was involved in a hit-and-run with a car that he owns. Truly irony at its best.

Ok first of all if you think Vick got special treatment one way or the other you are just wrong. He got what he deserved. I live in Atlanta and have heard all the excuses for why he should not have been sent to prison...at the end of the day he broke the law. Sorry if you dont like the law but it is the law save all the other bs for someone buying it. he knew he was doing something wrong and still did it. As far as going after him. The other guys all got similar sentences and yes they do normally go after the ring leader in a case like this...thats the way it goes.

As far as him as a player as one of you guys was saying...i watched him since he first came into the league. He had/has amazing talent...but he is a bubble head. He started getting a little older and taking a few more hits and suddenly he was a step slower. That step that use to help him get away from defenders. And in Atlanta here they have had the same problem Buffalo had (until last year) a terrible o line. He could no longer make those great runs and thus the offense went down hill quick.

Marshawn does not deserve special treatment. And i do not think it is special treatment if he settles with the woman. Which i can almost gaurantee will happen. I can not see him doing any time for this. He will hire good lawyers ie expensive ones.Ones most of us can not afford. But thats not his fault that our legal system. And it is America people. We can all work hard make money and thus afford the privledges that go with it. The only person keeping you in your $40,000 a year job is you. Would you rathe rlive in a country where the goverment mandates everything? If so pack your bags and head to Cuba. I beleive it is one of the few remaining Communist countries left.

These athletes have a special talent and i hate to see any of them waiste it. If they make a mistake...break the law then of course they are going to do anything they can to lessen the punishment. So would any of us.

Vick & Young may not put up the stats that you obsess over in a QB -- but they execute on the stat that matters most: W's. They have managed to win games despite lackluster talent around them. And of course, leave it to you to even try and compare JP Losman to Vick. Vick has had great success in the league, very early in his career. He's made 3 Pro Bowls, he has led his team to division titles, and he's won a road playoff game -- this despite not having a reliable wide receiver to throw to. Yeah, the coaches were real inept for leaving him in there! Young also had success relatively quickly reaching the playoffs and reaching the Pro Bowl in his second year as a starter. And the talent at the offensive skill positions is nonexistent! But I suppose Jeff Fisher doesn't know what he's doing :lol:

Thankfully, the Bills brass disagrees with your assessment on JP and realized pretty quickly that JP wasn't the answer and have put their faith in the youngster.

You were awfully quick to jump to conclusions on Vick's affiliation with dogfighting because it happened at a property he owned. Yet you're suddenly a proponent of "waiting for the facts" in deciding whether or not Marshawn was involved in a hit-and-run with a car that he owns. Truly irony at its best.

Falcons Record when Vick Starts

2001: 1-1

2002: 8-6-1 (1-1 in playoffs)

2003: 3-1

2004: 11-4 (1-1 in playoffs)

2005: 8-7

2006: 7-9

total 38-28-1 (counting playoffs 40-30-1)

57% 57%

57% winning percentage is not "just winning" that is the equivalent of getting 9 wins a season on average. I would say that the Falcons were offensively potent due a ground game that included Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett. Typically Dunn would have a 1000+ yd each year, which leads me to believe that he was a bigger reason for their success than Ron Mexico

Titans Record when Young Starts

2006: 8-5

2007: 9-6 (0-1 in playoffs)

total 17-11 (17-12 counting playoffs)

61% 59%

61% is getting about 10 wins a season which is a little more impressive, but is based off of a relatively small sample. I could also say that Young has benefitted a ton from a healthy ground game in each of his 2 years.

I think that your claim of these 2 quarterbacks "just winning" is invalid as is the whole Vick going to 3 pro bowls claim as we all know that all star games are popularity contests. I wonder how Mike Vick had no receivers including Peerless Price, when Drew Bledsoe made Price look like an all-star. Could this be that Bledsoe was better than Vick?

I think that your claim of these 2 quarterbacks "just winning" is invalid as is the whole Vick going to 3 pro bowls claim as we all know that all star games are popularity contests. I wonder how Mike Vick had no receivers including Peerless Price, when Drew Bledsoe made Price look like an all-star. Could this be that Bledsoe was better than Vick?

Expand out all the records you want, calculate the percentages until the cows come home -- bottom line: they have led their teams to the playoffs very early in their careers.

Your point about Peerless Price is a pretty poor one, given that Price was the #1 receiver in Atlanta and the #2 receiver in Buffalo -- BIG difference.

Ok first of all if you think Vick got special treatment one way or the other you are just wrong.

He got the opposite of special treatment.

He was sent to prison and blacklisted by the NFL because of pressures mounted by PETA, one of the most politically motivated, grandstanding organizations ever.

Hmm... Vick hurt dogs (which is a very bad thing) and gets 1-2 years in prison.

Leonard Little drives drunk, with a .2 BAC, and kills a 47 year old mother (which is much worse) and gets 90 days in jail.

Yeah justice makes a whole lot of sense there. At least PETA is happy. :lol:

Guest dog14787

He was sent to prison and blacklisted by the NFL because of pressures mounted by PETA, one of the most politically motivated, grandstanding organizations ever.

Leonard Little drives drunk, with a .2 BAC, and kills a 47 year old mother (which is much worse) and gets 90 days in jail.

Without knowing all the facts about each individual case its hard to determine whats fair and what isn't. Sometimes there is no justice, especially when a life is lost because how can you put a price tag on someones mom , sister, best friend or daughter? You can't,

and I know people who love dogs almost as much as humans, sometimes even more. Dogs save people's lives every day. A dog will try to hold off a grizzly bear to protect a family, even a toy pooddle. I remember reading not to long ago where a very small dog held off a rattlesnake to protect a child,matching the serpent move for move and barely living to tell (bark) about it because of all the venom he took in.

How can you not love a dog? so ya, feelings run deep, dogs or humans and when they die folks get hurt :lol:

Vick didn't get 1-2 years for dogfighting, he got 1-2 years (the maximum sentence) because on top of the dogfighting charges, he lied to police about his involvement and then failed a drug test. They threw the book at him because of a combination of those things. Had he cooporated and not failed a drug test, it probably would have been closer to a 90 day jail sentence.

Had he cooporated and not failed a drug test, it probably would have been closer to a 90 day jail sentence.

Wrong on 2 counts.

1. He was sentenced for financing and participating in dogfighting, not anything else.

2. Had he cooperated, his sentence would have been 12-18 months. Because he didn't it, ended up being 23 months.

Wrong on 2 counts.

1. He was sentenced for financing and participating in dogfighting, not anything else.

2. Had he cooperated, his sentence would have been 12-18 months. Because he didn't it, ended up being 23 months.

Your blind homeristic love and defense for vick and his inability to resemble a real NFL QB is laughable. Hell, even after the guy has been convicted and jailed, you're still defending him and what he did.

Your blind homeristic love and defense for vick and his inability to resemble a real NFL QB is laughable. Hell, even after the guy has been convicted and jailed, you're still defending him and what he did.

He might not be what YOU think is a real NFL QB. In your world, all African American QBs who are prolific rushers and don't pass for 300 yards a game aren't "real" QBs -- I get that, given your feelings on Vick and now Vince Young.

... but then again, your blind homeristic defense for JP Losman speaks volumes about your inability to assess QB play.

He might not be what YOU think is a real NFL QB. In your world, all African American QBs who are prolific rushers and don't pass for 300 yards a game aren't "real" QBs -- I get that, given your feelings on Vick and now Vince Young.

Calling Ramius a racist? Grow the !@#$ up, idiot!! ;)

;) Did you seriously just try to suggest that i am a racist when it comes to QBs? Thats classless, but unfortunately expected from a vick-ball washing (i hope he didnt give you the herp) patsy* troll like yourself.

You're an even bigger moron than i pegged you for. There are numerous QBs that are garbage QBs because they cant make the passes. Grossman for starters. boller. Aside from his 4-5 game tear at the end of last season, Eli manning. Mike Vick. Vince Young. The only difference was that vick and young have the amazing ability to make plays with their feet. However, this doesnt make them good QBs. It makes them good athletes who happen to play the QB position (poorly at that). These guys arent QBs who are going to take you anywhere. Sure, they'll make some highlight reel plays and win some games along the way, but in the long run, the franchise is going to constantly come up short. And 1 single injury to that limits their running ability is the end for these guys, because they cant make the passes. Sometimes, these types of QBs settle down, learn to stay in the pocket and make the throws with some accuracy, thus becoming good QBs. See: McNair, Steve, and McNabb, Donovan. Also see: Young, Steve. The jury is still out on Vince Young. If the titans get smart, and make Young learn to go through his progressions and learn to read a defense instead of the "one read and then take off" offense he currently runs, he could develop into a good QB. He's got the talent to do it. If not, he's going to end up another vick. A below average passer who can make plays with his feet.

And the only "blind-homeristic defense" i have had for Losman was that we needed more than 1 full season of starts to see if he was the real deal. He looked in 2006, but unfortunately, he got jerked around in 2007 we never got the chance to see if he could do it or not. As for now Edwards is the QB of the Bills (you know, that team you love to trash on a daily basis), so Edwards is who i am behind and rooting for 100%. See, unlike you, i actually root for the team i claim to "like" and "be a fan of."

;) Did you seriously just try to suggest that i am a racist when it comes to QBs? Thats classless, but unfortunately expected from a vick-ball washing (i hope he didnt give you the herp) patsy* troll like yourself.

You're an even bigger moron than i pegged you for. There are numerous QBs that are garbage QBs because they cant make the passes. Grossman for starters. boller. Aside from his 4-5 game tear at the end of last season, Eli manning. Mike Vick. Vince Young. The only difference was that vick and young have the amazing ability to make plays with their feet. However, this doesnt make them good QBs. It makes them good athletes who happen to play the QB position (poorly at that). These guys arent QBs who are going to take you anywhere. Sure, they'll make some highlight reel plays and win some games along the way, but in the long run, the franchise is going to constantly come up short. And 1 single injury to that limits their running ability is the end for these guys, because they cant make the passes. Sometimes, these types of QBs settle down, learn to stay in the pocket and make the throws with some accuracy, thus becoming good QBs. See: McNair, Steve, and McNabb, Donovan. Also see: Young, Steve. The jury is still out on Vince Young. If the titans get smart, and make Young learn to go through his progressions and learn to read a defense instead of the "one read and then take off" offense he currently runs, he could develop into a good QB. He's got the talent to do it. If not, he's going to end up another vick. A below average passer who can make plays with his feet.

And the only "blind-homeristic defense" i have had for Losman was that we needed more than 1 full season of starts to see if he was the real deal. He looked in 2006, but unfortunately, he got jerked around in 2007 we never got the chance to see if he could do it or not. As for now Edwards is the QB of the Bills (you know, that team you love to trash on a daily basis), so Edwards is who i am behind and rooting for 100%. See, unlike you, i actually root for the team i claim to "like" and "be a fan of."

Just like you may find my assessment of certain players donning red, white and blue to be overly harsh, I find your assessment that Vick & Young aren't "real NFL QBs" to be a bit harsh.

These guys have led their teams to the playoffs and won some pretty big games at the NFL level and they didn't ride the coat tails of a suffocating defense the way Grossman has.

Of course a QB needs to be able to "make the throws" and he can't rely on his feet all the time. But Vince Young, to me, has shown the ability to make pretty solid decisions in the passing game -- now if only they'd surround him with a few targets not named Bo Scalfe.

And as for JP, it's another classic Rob Johnson case -- wows you one minute, kills you the next with a boneheaded mistake. The season is too short (and too expensive) to wait for the light to click. Edwards, in his rookie season, showed some great decision-making skills in just his first year. Hell on his first ever series against the Patriots on the road he put together a TD drive. I can't wait to see what this guy can do with a full year under his belt.

Guest dog14787

... but then again, your blind homeristic defense for JP Losman speaks volumes about your inability to assess QB play.

I lived in Georgia for a few years and became a fan of the Atlanta Falcons ( my Buffalo Bills always comes first of course) and spent extra money buying NFL ticket just so I could watch Michael Vick play. He was amazing, here was a fella who could run faster then 99% of the players in the NFL, had a cannon with his right and left arm and was fearless on the football field. I just loved watching the guy play, Michael Vick changed the way a QB is percieved in the NFL. All of the sudden a stationary QB ( pocket QB ) was boring and for the most part, a sitting duck.

The whole nation fell in love with Michael Vick, now everyone hates him and it breaks my heart, still I don't hate Michael Vick, I hate what he did, but he's paying for his mistakes and I forgive him. This is comming from someone who loves animals, especially dogs.

If God can forgive him, can't we?