30 Days - In a Wheelchair

The Avenger

Anyone else catch last night's episode of 30 Days on FX? Great show - great episode.

If you're not familiar with the show, its the creation of Morgan Spurlock, the guy who created/starred in "Supersize Me". Every week they have someone live someone else's experience for 30 Days (in week 1 Spurlock himself became a coal miner in West Virginia for 30 days - brutal).

Anyway, last night's episode was 30 days in a wheelchair living as a parapelegic, and the guy who did it was ex NFL star Ray Crockett. He actually spent 30 days living in a chair as if he could not use his legs. He had his house modified with ramps, his car outfitted with hand controls, etc. He seemed to take it very seriously trying to understand what it is like for people who have suffered spinal chord injuries. Yeah, he has it better than almost anyone because as an ex NFL player he has a beautiful home and can afford everything to help him with his mobility, but I was very impressed that someone who has lived such a nice life (and is having a great retirement in his 40s) was willing to man up and take on a challenge like that for 30 days. He seems like he's one of the good guys and I was very impressed him as a person. Scary to think what could have been for a guy like Kevin Everett.

Anyway, if you get the chance, check out the episode - one of the best things I've seen on TV in a long time.

First time I've ever watched that show and I have to say, it was a great show! Seems like it really hit home with Ray, it actually had me thinking a bit too after watching it. I looked at things in my house completely different after the show. I realized, I would never make it around my house in a wheel chair.

First time I've ever watched that show and I have to say, it was a great show! Seems like it really hit home with Ray, it actually had me thinking a bit too after watching it. I looked at things in my house completely different after the show. I realized, I would never make it around my house in a wheel chair.

This comment is not leveled at you.

I wonder how the people who gave stuckincincy crap for getting a illegal handicapped parker a ticket would feel after seeing that.

Many years ago I played in a "wheelchair basketball" game at SUNY Brockport with a team of people who use them all the time. I was a pretty fair basketball player, but I was helpless in the chair, while the team we played against moved with tremendous agility and grace. I finished the game with blistered hands, a lot of humility and appreciation for the way folks deal with adversity.

On a similar note a colleague of mine died recently at 50 who used a wheelchair and was a wonderful disability advocate. I make my students read her article about the "Disability Gulag".

http://thegimpparade.blogspot.com/2008/06/...-1957-2008.html

This comment is not leveled at you.

I wonder how the people who gave stuckincincy crap for getting a illegal handicapped parker a ticket would feel after seeing that.

I guess I missed or "misremembered" that thread. However, my ex-wife used to drive her dad's vehicle sometimes and she would hang the handicap tag in the window and park at the mall. After the first couple times, she did that, I stopped riding with her, or I would drive when we visited San Antone, because I didn't want to be a part of that sham. Should have seen her abuse of that privledge as just another sign that she wasn't the right one for me.

BTW, the avatar cracks me up Dan. :lol: