Bruce vs. Strahan

No biggie. If you are just talking DE's, you should put Jones and Marchetti ahead of Strahan. Give me some time, and I might be able to add a few more. If you add ALL pass rushers, Strahan falls even farther down the list.

It depends on who all is in the Class of 2013 as to whether Strahan is first ballot or not. He is a media darling, so that will help his case. If he gets into broadcasting, he should be a lock. The free buffet seekers club likes to take care of their own.

Brett Favre, Steve McNair, Warren Sapp, and Jonathan Ogden.

Favre's the only first-ballot lock I see on that list. If Richard Dent and/or Charles Haley haven't made it in by then, they could siphon enough votes to keep Strahan out for a year.

You're right about the Miss Congeniality aspect of the competition, though ...

Brett Favre, Steve McNair, Warren Sapp, and Jonathan Ogden (if he ever makes it official).

Favre's the only first-ballot lock I see on that list. If Richard Dent and/or Charles Haley haven't made it in by then, they could siphon enough votes to keep Strahan out for a year.

I think Strahan is gonna be a first-ballot HoFer too. Favre is a no-brainer.

Fun with numbers:

Ask your friend how he thinks Strahan would have done in a 3-4.

Next, ask him how many times Strahan was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. The answer is once, in 2001. Bruce is one of only five players in league history to earn the honor two or more times, along with Mean Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, and Reggie White.

Strahan managed double-digit sacks in just 6 of his 15 seasons. Smith? 13 of 19. (That's a record, by the way. Reggie is the only other player with as many as 12.)

Did Strahan make the 1990s All-Decade Team? Nope, the DEs were Reggie, Bruce, Neil Smith, and Chris Doleman. Of course, Smith also made the 1980s squad.

Pro Bowls: Smith 11, Strahan 7

All-Pro selections: Smith 12 (8 first-team), Strahan 6 (4 first-team)

Sacks: Smith 200, Strahan 141 1/2

Strahan was a very good player. Odds are he'll make the Hall of Fame someday. Better than Smith? Laughable.

If he needs any more info on Bruce, just send him my way ...

:D

Excellent post that should pretty much end any potential debate on this topic. I would think even a Strahan-biased fan could look at those numbers and draw the only possible conclusion... Bruce was easily the better player.

Yeah, they say Deacon Jones would have the sack record if they counted sacks back when he played.

Yes, he would. It is debatable how many he would actually have. He claims 213.5. I know a few researchers who went back and analyzed it and he still has over 200, but I am not sure if it was the same total. Regardless, there is no question that Jones sacked the quarterback more than anyone else, regardless of the official statistics.

Brett Favre, Steve McNair, Warren Sapp, and Jonathan Ogden (if he ever makes it official).

I agree. Between Strahan and Dent, they will pick Strahan. Between Strahan and Haley, I might see Haley getting the nod, due to the fact that he was waiting longer. If they both became eligible the same year, it would be Strahan.

On a completely separate note (and to rip the free buffet seekers even more), anyone else notice the irony of PFWA members (an organization fighting to make things more open wrt teams) are the same ones participating in a process which is held in complete secrecy?

With strahan retiring my friend and i got in a heated argument about who was an overall better player throughout his career, Bruce or Strahan. My friend is very knowledgable about football and was adamant that Strahan was the better player. I found this proposterous, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. So, Bruce or Strahan, who was better?

Bruce is a "once in a lifetime" player, while Strahan is a "once in a generation" player....

No offense, but I can't ever remember Strahan getting triple teamed the way Bruce did...