The death of the SUV

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91472

"it now costs $100k to own and keep a similarly inefficient full size pickup running for five years."

I don't feel sorry for anyone who has a truck or SUV and is paying out the a** for gas. If you didn't have the foresight to see that the increase in SUV and Truck sales would effect the economy the way it has then you deserve what you get when you pay $80 to fill up your tank.

Exception of coarse to big families or those that need these trucks for work. Other then that though the average single guy or gal that drives a Hummer or Expedition is either an idiot or doesn't care about the effect they have on the economy or the world we live in.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"it now costs $100k to own and keep a similarly inefficient full size pickup running for five years."

I don't feel sorry for anyone who has a truck or SUV and is paying out the a** for gas. If you didn't have the foresight to see that the increase in SUV and Truck sales would effect the economy the way it has then you deserve what you get when you pay $80 to fill up your tank.

Except the increase in SUVs and Truck sales are a drop in the bucket when it comes to the price of a gallon of gas. But don't let the lack of factual information get in the way of hippy "lahjik".

Except the increase in SUVs and Truck sales are a drop in the bucket when it comes to the price of a gallon of gas. But don't let the lack of factual information get in the way of hippy "lahjik".

What facts do you speak of. Not that I want to get in a debate but I'm curious.

Exception of coarse to big families or those that need these trucks for work. Other then that though the average single guy or gal that drives a Hummer or Expedition is either an idiot or doesn't care about the effect they have on the economy or the world we live in.

Is your house/apartment any bigger than it absolutely has to be? Do you have unnecesary windows that leak heat? do you have air conditioning? If so then you must be an idiot too? Let's analyze your possesions and make stupid judgements. I certainly don't know your situation, but the "activists" and celebrities that shove their hybrid car in everyones face usually live in a big house (or several) and heat and cool much more space than is necessary. It is much easier to buy a small car and B word about the hard working guy who uses his pickup truck for occasional hunting/camping/tailgating trips than to make a change that affects your own lifestyle or comfort. I would love to be able to afford a small car for commuting and a truck for recreation, but unfortunately I don't have activist money.

I love being judged by a guy with a drug themed avatar!

If I win the lottery, I am going to pay some global warming hack scientist to "find" that patchouli oil is the cause of global warming. Can you imagine the uproar.

What facts do you speak of. Not that I want to get in a debate but I'm curious.

There are a ton of factors that have led to the increase in the price of a barrel of oil. To include:

Lack of refining capacity (from 1983-2003, the cost of oil was fairly flat and there wasn't much margin in refining - so companies didn't invest in refineries to make them more efficient or build more of them).

Increase in worldwide demand (especially China and India)

Government regulation of exploration, production, refining, transport, and infrastructure for the industry (not just in the United States)

Hippies

Speculation

Geopolitical events

Weather

Devaluation of the Dollar

Lack of infrastructure improvement in the United States (especially in regard to power production)

These are just an important few. Many of them brought to you by the politicians in Washington who're more concerned about who's marrying who, whether we're going to allow prayer in school, abortion, etc. Because those are easy to get people spun up about while ignoring the things they're Constitutionally mandated to take care of.

Is your house/apartment any bigger than it absolutely has to be? Do you have unnecesary windows that leak heat? do you have air conditioning? If so then you must be an idiot too? Let's analyze your possesions and make stupid judgements. I certainly don't know your situation, but the "activists" and celebrities that shove their hybrid car in everyones face usually live in a big house (or several) and heat and cool much more space than is necessary. It is much easier to buy a small car and B word about the hard working guy who uses his pickup truck for occasional hunting/camping/tailgating trips than to make a change that affects your own lifestyle or comfort. I would love to be able to afford a small car for commuting and a truck for recreation, but unfortunately I don't have activist money.

Speaking of "judging" what makes you think I'm a hippie? In fact I'm not even close.

To answer your question though, I do live in a decent sized place and maybe I do use more electricity then is needed BUT what I don't do is B word about the price of electricity. I take responsibility for my A/C and washer dryer bills and never complain. What I guess I failed to translate in my post is that the people who are bitching most about gas prices are the ones driving Yukon's. I think that is ridiculous and those people can do something about it but chose to whine instead.

I'm sorry if I came across as some hippie activist that was not my intention.

Speaking of "judging" what makes you think I'm a hippie? In fact I'm not even close.

To answer your question though, I do live in a decent sized place and maybe I do use more electricity then is needed BUT what I don't do is B word about the price of electricity. I take responsibility for my A/C and washer dryer bills and never complain. What I guess I failed to translate in my post is that the people who are bitching most about gas prices are the ones driving Yukon's. I think that is ridiculous and those people can do something about it but chose to whine instead.

The soaring gas prices hasn't effected the price of your weed yet?

I must have missed the part where you were only directing this at people that are complaining about fuel prices.

"Exception of coarse to big families or those that need these trucks for work. Other then that though the average single guy or gal that drives a Hummer or Expedition is either an idiot or doesn't care about the effect they have on the economy or the world we live in."

So wasting gas makes me a planet killing idiot, but wasting other energy resources is fine? Awesome logic...and very typical.

In fact looking at your signatures i think the ones calling you a hippie made a classic confusion! you're a beatnik not a hippie!

:thumbsup:

So wasting gas makes me a planet killing idiot, but wasting other energy resources is fine? Awesome logic...and very typical.

None of waste is okay.

Some people however, choose to not just throw their hands up in the air and say " :thumbsup: it I'm goin' huntin'" Now that, my friend, is typical.

Exhibit A: Albert Gore Jr.- No, wait! I forgot that he buys carbon credits for his 10k sqft mansion, so he's not included. :thumbsup:

But I know a burnout when I see one...

BTW, nice job with the spelling.

I'm a 30 year old business owner whose done 2 tours in Iraq, I am a single father and make enough money to have both us live nicely. Do I smoke weed, yes I do. I am hardly a pothead but on weekend when my son is with his mom I have a nice time with the herb. I may not be the best speller but please refrain from calling me something I'm not. A Burnout