Bills Special Teams

We've talked a lot about how the Bills have addressed areas of need on offense and defense, and we've been guessing as to who will make the team.

Now let's have a look at the Bills special teams unit. This is an area that was hit hard this offseason. Even though Marv Levy is no longer a part of the team, he always stressed the importance of special teams. Dick Jauron is also very high on this matter too.

Here are the players the Bills have lost from this area: Josh Stamer, Coy Wire, Jim Leonhard, Sam Aiken, Ryan Neufeld, & Mario Haggan.

The only players I remember who saw time on special teams last year who remain on the team are: Derek Schouman, George Wilson, John Wendling, Blake Costanzo, & Tim Massaquoi.

Whether we like it or not, there will be players kept on the team because of their special teams play. That's why players like Aiken, Neufeld, and for a couple years Shaud Williams were able to stick with the team.

So what are your thoughts? Which players are going to have to make this team because of their special teams play?

My guess would be the 5 players I mentioned above and I'll add Alvin Bowen, Kennard Cox, Jon Corto, Justin Jenkins, Michael Viti, Derek Fine, Scott Mayle & Reggie Corner.

A number of us noted after the draft we believe the Bills made a deliberate attempt to draft players from round 4 on who could immediately contribute on ST, for the reasons you suggest above. For everyone who bemoaned the fact Buffalo didn't draft five backup O-linemen, there are more of us who understand the Bills saw a need to replace their ST "starters" by drafting players like Corner, Fine, and Bowen, who will step in immediately on the "third unit" and also have a chance to contribute traditionally on O or D.

It's a little worrying actually. I've gotten used to us having one of the best(if not the best) ST in the league and losing all of those very good seasoned ST contributors is something that I'm not expecting us to overcome this year. Even if the players we drafted can come in and perform respectably it is hard to imagine that there isn't some dropoff in production due to inexperience.

I'm hoping otherwise though. :rolleyes:

It seemed tome at the time that every second day pick was a ST pick and that Bobby April was running our draft room. No need to worry about ST; it's the other two teams I hope we've improved/ Defense is deeper for sure.

We've talked a lot about how the Bills have addressed areas of need on offense and defense, and we've been guessing as to who will make the team.

Now let's have a look at the Bills special teams unit. This is an area that was hit hard this offseason. Even though Marv Levy is no longer a part of the team, he always stressed the importance of special teams. Dick Jauron is also very high on this matter too.

Here are the players the Bills have lost from this area: Josh Stamer, Coy Wire, Jim Leonhard, Sam Aiken, Ryan Neufeld, & Mario Haggan.

The only players I remember who saw time on special teams last year who remain on the team are: Derek Schouman, George Wilson, John Wendling, Blake Costanzo, & Tim Massaquoi.

Whether we like it or not, there will be players kept on the team because of their special teams play. That's why players like Aiken, Neufeld, and for a couple years Shaud Williams were able to stick with the team.

So what are your thoughts? Which players are going to have to make this team because of their special teams play?

My guess would be the 5 players I mentioned above and I'll add Alvin Bowen, Kennard Cox, Jon Corto, Justin Jenkins, Michael Viti, Derek Fine, Scott Mayle & Reggie Corner.

A number of us noted after the draft we believe the Bills made a deliberate attempt to draft players from round 4 on who could immediately contribute on ST, for the reasons you suggest above. For everyone who bemoaned the fact Buffalo didn't draft five backup O-linemen, there are more of us who understand the Bills saw a need to replace their ST "starters" by drafting players like Corner, Fine, and Bowen, who will step in immediately on the "third unit" and also have a chance to contribute traditionally on O or D.

xactlly :rolleyes:

A friend of mine said that when Levy was HC the ST coach was allowed to pick the last guy at every position. I wonder if that's how Jauron operates.

It's a little worrying actually. I've gotten used to us having one of the best(if not the best) ST in the league and losing all of those very good seasoned ST contributors is something that I'm not expecting us to overcome this year. Even if the players we drafted can come in and perform respectably it is hard to imagine that there isn't some dropoff in production due to inexperience.

I'm hoping otherwise though. :rolleyes:

I've heard a few of the talking heads mention that John Wendling was one of the best ST'ers last year. I think he'll be even better this year. I've never heard anything about this but I would think ST's are easier to translate from college than a lot of positions.

:lol: Not cool man, not cool. Do you know how hard it is to avoid clicking on that link when we post Youtube videos so much?

Rick Roll me all you want, hell, drop a pixie or two, but don't you ever, EVER, post that again. :lol: