Vote for Obama or...

i can't tell if you are joking or not.

really? you find them offensive? it's just a little joke. people should suck it up and not get vaj hurt over every little thing.

if you're joking then HIGH FIVE!

I'm probably the guy with the most open sense of humor here. I'm not "offended" by it and I'm OK with it on a "free expression" level but it's clearly racist and not at all funny.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry that you can't tell a difference between parody and insult.

Why don't we have other opinions on the innocent image.

are you saying that there aren't insults in chapelle's work? are you saying there is no element of parody in

comparing a political figure to a cartoon character?

that's the basis of modern satire for god's sake. political cartoons are where it all started in english newspapers hundreds of years ago. elelphants and donkeys, bulls and bears, hawks and doves, animal imagery and political figures have been in cartoons forever.

i think you are just getting but hurt because obama is black (well, half black anyway) and the image is a monkey (a humanized looking cartoon of one anyway) and you can't just laugh at something where it is white people making jokes about black people, but you are fine laughing at chappelle (black person making fun of white people).

did you get offended at the mohommed bomb had image that was in that euro newspaper?

I'm probably the guy with the most open sense of humor here. I'm not "offended" by it and I'm OK with it on a "free expression" level but it's clearly racist and not at all funny.

it's funny because it is racist.

just like eddie murphy, dave chappelle, or millions of other comics, racist jokes are funny because they are offensive.

are you saying that there aren't insults in chapelle's work? are you saying there is no element of parody in

comparing a political figure to a cartoon character?

that's the basis of modern satire for god's sake. political cartoons are where it all started in english newspapers hundreds of years ago. elelphants and donkeys, bulls and bears, hawks and doves, animal imagery and political figures have been in cartoons forever.

i think you are just getting but hurt because obama is black (well, half black anyway) and the image is a monkey (a humanized looking cartoon of one anyway) and you can't just laugh at something where it is white people making jokes about black people, but you are fine laughing at chappelle (black person making fun of white people).

did you get offended at the mohommed bomb had image that was in that euro newspaper?

Sorry, gotta say I agree, this is a blatant exploitation of racism (and yes, there is a difference between a shirt like this and comedians).

it's funny because it is racist.

just like eddie murphy, dave chappelle, or millions of other comics, racist jokes are funny because they are offensive.

Thats the double standard in this country. Its like teachers who have sex with their students. Male teachers always/mostly get a more severe sentence than female teachers.

Sorry, gotta say I agree, this is a blatant exploitation of racism (and yes, there is a difference between a shirt like this and comedians).

ok

so why is it different?

imo the honest answer from GG will be because he feels ok to see a black guy make jokes about white guys, but the reverse brings up guilt and stuff.

i think that is silly, and to me makes the curious george stuff even funnier! i mean there was a pic on the web showing obama turning and smiling and the curious goere pic was right beside it and the resemblance was more than slight.

Let's start with the basics.

Satire:

1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

Insult:

1. to treat or speak to insolently or with contemptuous rudeness; affront.

2. to affect as an affront; offend or demean.

3. an insolent or contemptuously rude action or remark; affront.

4. something having the effect of an affront: That book is an insult to one's intelligence.

In which definition do you think that the t-shirt falls?

If you think it's brilliant satire, then is the t-shirt poking fun at Obama's fondness for bananas?

ok

so why is it different?

Quite frankly, because there isn't much of a "joke" there. Outside of the racial undertones, I don't see many similarities between the two or even any parody involved here.

imo the honest answer from GG will be because he feels ok to see a black guy make jokes about white guys, but the reverse brings up guilt and stuff.

i think that is silly, and to me makes the curious george stuff even funnier! i mean there was a pic on the web showing obama turning and smiling and the curious goere pic was right beside it and the resemblance was more than slight.

What would be funny is an Obama stole my bike tshirt.

What category would this fall under?

Top 10 reasons why there are no black NASCAR drivers:

# 10 - Have to sit upright while driving.

# 9 - Pistol won't stay under front seat.

# 8 - Engine noise drowns out the rap music.

# 7 - Pit crew can't work on car while holding up pants at the same time.

# 6 - They keep trying to carjack Dale Earnhardt Jr.

# 5 - Police cars on track interfere with race.

# 4 - No passenger seat for the Ho.

# 3 - No Cadillacs approved for competition.

# 2 - When they crash their cars, they bail out & run.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY BLACKS CAN'T BE IN NASCAR.

#1 -They can't wear their helmets sideways.

Let's start with the basics.

Satire:

1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

Insult:

1. to treat or speak to insolently or with contemptuous rudeness; affront.

2. to affect as an affront; offend or demean.

3. an insolent or contemptuously rude action or remark; affront.

4. something having the effect of an affront: That book is an insult to one's intelligence.

In which definition do you think that the t-shirt falls?

If you think it's brilliant satire, then is the t-shirt poking fun at Obama's fondness for bananas?

it can be both cap'n reactionary!!

see, this is a racially charged country. the interesting bit is you would think it only comes down to blacks and whites because is the race relation people get most up in arms about.

showing that obama looks like curious george is a satire of the racial element in this election and the hyper sensitivity of guys like you who will laugh at chapelle but get sad and angsty about a silly cartoon.

just like the mohammed cartoon wasn't actually criticising mohamad for being a suicide bomber, but it used his image to critcise other people associated with the issue. it's the insensitivity of the curious george shirt (placed on the back drop of a lovable cartoon character) that is funny.

i think you know this tho, you know that it is just a joke, but your white guilt won't let you just laugh at it (or ignore it if you don't find it funny).

can you tell me why this is offensive (and you even made the statement that everyone in the 21st century should be offended, as if this is a very important issue. should everyone in the 21st century be offended by the mohommed picture as well?) but dave chapelle is not (certainly if you are being consistent, everyone in the 21st century should be offended by dave chappelle's racist humor!)?

i don't think you can because like an above poster said i think you subscribe to a double standard.

and to the other poster yes, a stole my bike shirt would be much funnier and more topical. a bunch of them on a webpage would really crack me up.

Take out the David Letterman then.

old joke, but pretty funny.

i think gg will be offended by any black jokes said by whites, but is fine with chapelle (saying both black jokes and white jokes).

if i'm wrong gg please let me know, but this is the last bastion of political correctness.

it can be both cap'n reactionary!!

see, this is a racially charged country. the interesting bit is you would think it only comes down to blacks and whites because is the race relation people get most up in arms about.

showing that obama looks like curious george is a satire of the racial element in this election and the hyper sensitivity of guys like you who will laugh at chapelle but get sad and angsty about a silly cartoon.

just like the mohammed cartoon wasn't actually criticising mohamad for being a suicide bomber, but it used his image to critcise other people associated with the issue. it's the insensitivity of the curious george shirt (placed on the back drop of a lovable cartoon character) that is funny.

i think you know this tho, you know that it is just a joke, but your white guilt won't let you just laugh at it (or ignore it if you don't find it funny).

can you tell me why this is offensive (and you even made the statement that everyone in the 21st century should be offended, as if this is a very important issue. should everyone in the 21st century be offended by the mohommed picture as well?) but dave chapelle is not (certainly if you are being consistent, everyone in the 21st century should be offended by dave chappelle's racist humor!)?

i don't think you can because like an above poster said i think you subscribe to a double standard.

and to the other poster yes, a stole my bike shirt would be much funnier and more topical. a bunch of them on a webpage would really crack me up.

I may have said it before, but apparently it's certainly useful to have a shotgun approach to an argument to make sure you hit something. Bravo.

Be assured that my conscience and white guilt sleep very comfortably at night.

Context frames about 95% of all satire, parody and humor. Chappelle's show is set in that context, as is Mencia, Sarah Silverman, Larry David, etc. Take the scripted words out of that setting and they take on a different meaning. The Mohamed cartoons are in a comic strip whose purpose is to offer political commentary. On the other hand, a bar's role is to get people drunk. Selling Obama monkey shirts in that setting takes a different meaning than on a stage designed for comedy and humor. Sorry that you can't see the obvious difference.

I may have said it before, but apparently it's certainly useful to have a shotgun approach to an argument to make sure you hit something. Bravo.

Be assured that my conscience and white guilt sleep very comfortably at night.

Context frames about 95% of all satire, parody and humor. Chappelle's show is set in that context, as is Mencia, Sarah Silverman, Larry David, etc. Take the scripted words out of that setting and they take on a different meaning. The Mohamed cartoons are in a comic strip whose purpose is to offer political commentary. On the other hand, a bar's role is to get people drunk. Selling Obama monkey shirts in that setting takes a different meaning than on a stage designed for comedy and humor. Sorry that you can't see the obvious difference.

ok, so that picture in a newspaper would be fine, but on a shirt from a bar it isn't.

is that your position?

What category is this then? I'm not on any stage.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1035481

I posted this to Pasta Joe because there had been a few posters accusing him of being a racist. I dont think he is. But I busted his chops with that post, because of the previous comments toward him, then put a laughing smilie to prove it. Was I out of line?

ok, so that picture in a newspaper would be fine, but on a shirt from a bar it isn't.

is that your position?

Way to oversimplify a point.

If you are referring to the Mohammed cartoon, I had no problem with it, but I can certainly see why some Muslims were offended. It was the artist's expression of a group using Islam to justify violent actions. Same reaction I had to the depiction of the Madonna using cow dung. I had no problem with it, but I can certainly see why some Catholics were up in arms.

The t-shirt creator may think he is clever or artistic. But he's not. It's just an old racist stereotype that was printed on a t-shirt. Little humor in it, and I can certainly see why people (including me) would be offended.

I posted this to Pasta Joe because there had been a few posters accusing him of being a racist. I dont think he is. But I busted his chops with that post, because of the previous comments toward him, then put a laughing smilie to prove it. Was I out of line?

if it made fun of mccain looking like a an animal (he has a bit of rat to him) then GG would be ok.

if you were black, GG would be ok.

but you aren't, so GG thinks you aren't even a person in the 21st century.

every person in the 21st century should find that offensive, unless it was in a newspaper as a cartoon, the GG is cool with that too.

Way to oversimplify a point.

If you are referring to the Mohammed cartoon, I had no problem with it, but I can certainly see why some Muslims were offended. It was the artist's expression of a group using Islam to justify violent actions. Same reaction I had to the depiction of the Madonna using cow dung. I had no problem with it, but I can certainly see why some Catholics were up in arms.

The t-shirt creator may think he is clever or artistic. But he's not. It's just an old racist stereotype that was printed on a t-shirt. Little humor in it, and I can certainly see why people (including me) would be offended.

you didn't say that the obama joke COULD be found offensive, you said it WAS offensive.

you said it should be offensive to everyone in the 21st century. am i over simplifying that?

why should everyone find a little t shirt at a bar offensive, but not everyone should find the mohammed or madonna poo thing offensive?

and sure the curious george cartoon wasn't that funny, but if they put up the pic that has obama in exactly the same position as a curious george pic, that WOULD be funny. or the stole my bike. or possibly an obama katrina looter meme.

based on what you said tho, those would all be offensive to everyone unless published by a newspaper, even tho the mohammed bomb head one isn't offensive to everyone.

i think this shows (along with your defense of chapelle) that you are just a little politicaly correct (and i'm a little rock and roll!).

What is this Comedy 101? Linking an image of the t-shirt is not the same as selling it and proclaiming that it's all in innocent fun.

Is everyone who links the Pixie Peter Pan guy, gay?