This Off-season

I thought that we had to address 6 things in the offseason in order to compete for the playoffs and possibly a date in the super bowl. In order of inportance, I thought we needed to address:

1. Adding a big target to compliment Lee Evans.

A tall WR or GOOD Tight End was I was asking for. James Hardy, at 6'6 220 is exactly that. We will see how he pans out, but I think it was a great pickup, especially in the 2nd round. I'm not saying Teyo and Courtney are great TE's, but they are tall and I'm hoping they can help us out in certain situations. Derek Fine looks to be a possible player in the passing game, though only 6'4. Grade: B

2. Improve our interior DL.

Last year we were hoping McCargo, Tripplett and Williams could do the job. They didn't. Adding Marcus Stroud was a good of a move as we could have made. He's gonna help out our LB's immensely. Spencer Johnson was an under the radar pickup that I think will pay great dividends. I like him a lot. Grade: A-

3. Improve our Pass Rush.

Watching the Giants win the SB and give Tom Brady fits showed me there is light at the end of the tunnel. But the light has dimmed a little bit after watching all the premier pass rushers get gobbled up before we had a chance. While I think Chris Ellis has a chance to help our pressure, I don't think its gonna be enough to get us to the next level. Grade: C-

4. Add some depth to our secondary.

While I thought McGee and Greer were decent as starters in a cover 2, adding McKelvin to this group gives us the flexibility we needed. Hoping that McKelvin can blossom into a shutdown corner eventually, while being a key contributor to special teams and as a nickelback this year. I love the signing of Will James. While I disliked the drafting of reggie corner at first (I would have liked a TE), I'm starting to like the pick. He's a ballhawk, something that we are lacking. I really think we have one of the best CB groups in the league. Job well done. Grade: A

5. Add some nastiness and experience.

I loved the passion that we played with last year. Marshawn ignited the offense (though it was still poor) with his toughness. I thought Our D needed some of that. Hardy has had a reputation of being a heady, in your face player and could add some gas to the fire. I feel Stroud and Mitchell will give our D a nice shot of adrenaline that was needed. Grade: B+

6. Keep our special teams at a high level.

Our special teams has been, far and away, the teams best unit over the last few years. We won many a game due to its success. While we have Parrish and McGee locked up, the addition of McKelvin gives us another weapon for years to come. The other side of special teams we've been good at, has been kick/punt coverage. I knew we would lose some of our better special teams players, and we did. But I think we did a great job filling holes in the draft. The addition of Fine, Corner, Bowen and possibly Ellis makes me feel better about our losses. Grade: B

While there are other things that needed to be addressed, I felt those 6 were the most important for us to get to the next level. I'd like to commend our front office for a job well done in their 1st season in their respective roles. My offseason grade: B+

In retrospect, I should have included the QB situation in the mix. While I would be thrilled to have a "happy" JP as our backup, it doesnt look that thats gonna happen. Trents injury history is a major issue in MY mind, and we didnt do anything to improve our situation. :lol: Here's to hoping he can stay healthy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that we had to address 6 things in the offseason in order to compete for the playoffs and possibly a date in the super bowl. In order of inportance, I thought we needed to address:

A tall WR or GOOD Tight End was I was asking for. James Hardy, at 6'6 220 is exactly that. We will see how he pans out, but I think it was a great pickup, especially in the 2nd round. I'm not saying Teyo and Courtney are great TE's, but they are tall and I'm hoping they can help us out in certain situations. Derek Fine looks to be a possible player in the passing game, though only 6'4. Grade: B

Last year we were hoping McCargo, Tripplett and Williams could do the job. They didn't. Adding Marcus Stroud was a good of a move as we could have made. He's gonna help out our LB's immensely. Spencer Johnson was an under the radar pickup that I think will pay great dividends. I like him a lot. Grade: A-

Watching the Giants win the SB and give Tom Brady fits showed me there is light at the end of the tunnel. But the light has dimmed a little bit after watching all the premier pass rushers get gobbled up before we had a chance. While I think Chris Ellis has a chance to help our pressure, I don't think its gonna be enough to get us to the next level. Grade: C-

While I thought McGee and Greer were decent as starters in a cover 2, adding McKelvin to this group gives us the flexibility we needed. Hoping that McKelvin can blossom into a shutdown corner eventually, while being a key contributor to special teams and as a nickelback this year. I love the signing of Will James. While I disliked the drafting of reggie corner at first (I would have liked a TE), I'm starting to like the pick. He's a ballhawk, something that we are lacking. I really think we have one of the best CB groups in the league. Job well done. Grade: A

I loved the passion that we played with last year. Marshawn ignited the offense (though it was still poor) with his toughness. I thought Our D needed some of that. Hardy has had a reputation of being a heady, in your face player and could add some gas to the fire. I feel Stroud and Mitchell will give our D a nice shot of adrenaline that was needed. Grade: B+

Our special teams has been, far and away, the teams best unit over the last few years. We won many a game due to its success. While we have Parrish and McGee locked up, the addition of McKelvin gives us another weapon for years to come. The other side of special teams we've been good at, has been kick/punt coverage. I knew we would lose some of our better special teams players, and we did. But I think we did a great job filling holes in the draft. The addition of Fine, Corner, Bowen and possibly Ellis makes me feel better about our losses. Grade: B

While there are other things that needed to be addressed, I felt those 6 were the most important for us to get to the next level. I'd like to commend our front office for a job well done in their 1st season in their respective roles. My offseason grade: B+

In retrospect, I should have included the QB situation in the mix. While I would be thrilled to have a "happy" JP as our backup, it doesnt look that thats gonna happen. Trents injury history is a major issue in MY mind, and we didnt do anything to improve our situation. :lol: Here's to hoping he can stay healthy.

how you can not have find a bonafide backup LT and C on your list of improvements bafflers me.

Even with A+ on your list, if Peters goes down, the season is over. pretty much the same with Fowler, and that's with him as a liability in the run game when he does play

I agree with Obie wans point about the OL.....that should have been in the top 6 things to address in the off-season.

Also....I would think that by addressing points....

and

we would naturally achieve

how you can not have find a bonafide backup LT and C on your list of improvements bafflers me.

Even with A+ on your list, if Peters goes down, the season is over. pretty much the same with Fowler, and that's with him as a liability in the run game when he does play

He's our best player. While i do think that we need a better backup LT, I don't think it's one of the most important things we needed. We could upgrade fowler, but we cant have near allpros at every position. just my opinion.

Sad, but painfully true.

I agree with Obie wans point about the OL.....that should have been in the top 6 things to address in the off-season.

Also....I would think that by addressing points....

and

we would naturally achieve

Improving our interior DLine does improve our pass rush SOME. I was mainly trying to add interior line to improve our run D and LB play. While we have improved our interior dline immensely, we havent really improved our pass rush too much imo.

We're not going to be able to fill every single need we have on this team, guys. Kirk Chambers is probably as good of a back-up as we can hope for right now. If J.Peters goes down, then Trent will just need to learn to get rid of the ball quicker.

Improving our interior DLine does improve our pass rush SOME. I was mainly trying to add interior line to improve our run D and LB play. While we have improved our interior dline immensely, we havent really improved our pass rush too much imo.

Just wait and see. Kelsey and Schobel are underrated IMO. They are real good DEs and having a strong push up the middle will open up the ouside for these guys to nail Brady and Co.

We're not going to be able to fill every single need we have on this team, guys. Kirk Chambers is probably as good of a back-up as we can hope for right now. If J.Peters goes down, then Trent will just need to learn to get rid of the ball quicker.

We have seen much worse than at OT Chambers; you are correct. Remember the white guy we got from Miami? Lori remembers his name. I am not kidding, he was so bad I blacked his name out of my mind.

Kirk Chambers is an undrafted free agent who spends his time as a revolving door at LT.

Look at his play in 2007 and how Edwards was running for his life.

Why they could not have drafted someone in the middle rounds who they could have groomed at LT highlights the continuing short sightedness of this front office as it relates to the OL. Even if they had drafted a bona fide G they could have moved Butler to LT in an emergency.

Taking a project in the 7th round who may be ready in 2010 does not deal with the problem in 2008.

He's our best player. While i do think that we need a better backup LT, I don't think it's one of the most important things we needed. We could upgrade fowler, but we cant have near allpros at every position. just my opinion.

After the QB, LT is the most important position on the team.

It's the one position that it is excusable to not have a bonafide backup at.

Kirk Chambers is an undrafted free agent who spends his time as a revolving door at LT.

Look at his play in 2007 and how Edwards was running for his life.

Why they could not have drafted someone in the middle rounds who they could have groomed at LT highlights the continuing short sightedness of this front office as it relates to the OL. Even if they had drafted a bona fide G they could have moved Butler to LT in an emergency.

Taking a project in the 7th round who may be ready in 2010 does not deal with the problem in 2008.

I hear ya, but look how much money we have tied up in the Oline. Granted, we NEED a kick ass line, but I just don't think we should expect to have a solid back-up...at least not yet. We're lucky to just have a starting Oline that is almost solid...

We have seen much worse than at OT Chambers; you are correct. Remember the white guy we got from Miami? Lori remembers his name. I am not kidding, he was so bad I blacked his name out of my mind.

:lol: Now I want to know which guy you're thinking of...I don't remember a Miami OT

I hear ya, but look how much money we have tied up in the Oline. Granted, we NEED a kick ass line, but I just don't think we should expect to have a solid back-up...at least not yet. We're lucky to just have a starting Oline that is almost solid...

And this is what has caused us to lose time and again for the better part of 12 years my friend. Yet, Jauron is still chasing defensive backs. He took it to a new level of idiocy by even drafting one whose name is actually Corner. Only a Bills Fan can relate to this kind of insanity. :D

Come up for the Raiders game this year Bro. :lol:

And this is what has caused us to lose time and again for the better part of 12 years my friend. Yet, Jauron is still chasing defensive backs. He took it to a new level of idiocy by even drafting one whose name is actually Corner. Only a Bills Fan can relate to this kind of insanity. :(

Come up for the Raiders game this year Bro. :D

I was a bit surprised that we went D-back...I'm on record as being a fan of D.Greer and T.McGee, and would have rather seen us add more Dlinemen. Seems like a lot of folks are pretty high on McKelvin, though, so I'm just going to take the wait and see approach. Thanks for the laugh about "Corner", btw....that's pretty damn funny when you put it that way :lol:

As for coming up, things are much more calm this year than last, so I'm gonna do my best...I'm gonna show up for a garbage plate meeting, and do some mad tailgaiting with my Bills bros and sisters :lol:

Not the college.....the phish.

I knew what ya meant, I just can't remember the guy either

Under Jauron, the Bills have spent exactly 4 draft picks out of 26 on OL. By contrast, they've selected 7 DB's.

None of the OL picked came before the fifth round. Two of them (Pennington and Merz) were cut. Of the two remaining, one starts (Butler) and another is a project (Bell) who'll probably be on the PS if he makes it.

Whittle and Chambers are the only decent backups and represent a significant drop-off in talent from the starter. Just one injury on the OL could force this team to make a huge departure in gameplanning. That's a risk no front office should take. Then again, with DJ having so much input with no GM, it's not hard to see them taking those 7 DB's versus 4 late round OL.

the reason we have so much money tied up in the OL is that we failed to build the OL thru the draft for 10 years - and we continue to do ignore it.l

They finally overspend big time on 2 players - who signficantly underperformed their huge contracts - so this means we can go back to ignoring the OL in the draft for the next 10 years?

It's not asking for much to spend 1 out of 10 draft picks above the 7th round on the most important group on the team.