If we make a playoff run...

His numbers that year were 19-14 and about 2600 yds, but they didn't come close to winning ten games. His stats were very deceiving. There would be no comparison. If Buffalo wins ten games this year and he has a 3000yd+ season, he will be signed long term, particularly if they make the playoffs. Keep in mind, he was a rookie last year playing on a five year contract. No need to rush to judgment.

No 3rd rounders can sign 5 year contracts, QB or not...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several views on this to consider which because people aren't their theorizing is even further displaced from reality.

1. Its a negotiation so it matters what the player will sign for.

If Trent for some reason wants to sign a gift contract for the Bills (like the one Travis Henry signed where he mortgaged a year of his career without free agency in exchange for relative chump change from the Bills up front) then the Bills would be stupid not to extend him after the season stats you describe.

My guess is that Trent would not be so stupid as to make dumb financial "investments" like Henry which forced him to sell a year, or that he would be addled enough by his personality or use of controlled substances to give such a gift to the Bills. However, there are tons of things we do not know about what makes Edwards tick such as if he needs money for a sick relative,was profligate in his youth or will meet some Jessica Simpson so may be a deal might make sense.

2. The other side of this same issue is regardless of what the Bills want would Edwards chose to sign a deal unless the Bills offered him Romo money prematurely.

Folks seem to consider these issues as though it was the old days (pre mid 80s lockout) when the owners did what ever these individuals chose to do. It ain't your Grandmother's NFL any more and while Edwards is not yet set for life, the contract he got as a 3rd rounder, the gifts and investment opportunities that comes to any NFL starter, and the likelihood that even if he sucks he likely will play enough years to qualify for an NFL pension gives him the ability if he chooses to not sign the first, second, and so on offer he gets from the Bills. Depending upon his own personality and plans if Edwards does well this year, maybe he makes a bet that if he pays insurance on injury for himself he should just hold off signing long term until a Romo deal emerges.

Folks simply do not seem to get that this a two-way street. They complained bitterly that the Bills did not sign Clements when actually as events bore out Clements would have been a fool to sign any deal the Bills offered him to lock him up over the last couple of years he was here. The Bills were limited by the old salary cap as to what they could offer him. By actually being "forced" to take a tag in his last year and then hit FA and sign a deal under the new cap Clements got far more scratch than he ever would have (or even could have under the old cap) from the Bills.

It is not a drop-dead certainty that the Bills could get Edwards to extend.

3. The other way the NFL is different is that its not just a Ralph calling the shots anymore.

Ralph demonstrated in the last CBA negotiation that he still believes in the old way where owners were rugged individualists too rich to be bulldozed by anyone. However, in the face of Upshaw declaring that any deal the owners offered needed to start with a 60+% of the total gross (60.5% is where they ended up) and Tagliabue joined with the NFLPA to get shrinking violets like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and Al Davis to smile when they signed a deal for 39.5% of more money than they ever imagined making from their team, the old days died and Ralph loss the vote 2-30.

The facts are that among the key elements which will guide the team led by Brandon, Overdorf, Jauron, et al. as they meet Ralph's needs will be what the fellow owners want in terms of deals being cut that they will have to match or exceed and what the senior partner of the NFL, the NFLPA wants in terms of allocations of the cap by team.

Certainly the Bills will have the final say and control the throttle of negotiations with Edwards and other individual Bills players. however, one is ignoring reality if you do not recognize that the money making and money distribution strategies of Ralph's fellow owner and the players are not controlling factors at all but also they are not to be totally ignored.

Merely considering this issue of whether to extend Edwards based on only what the Billa might or might not want to do is simply ignoring important and even determining factors in this equation.

First of all you can take the "IF" out of Playoff run when speaking of the Bills. We're making a run!

Secondly, Wait until next season to decide about paying Edwards. He needs to prove it for 16 games.

I would not be suprised if it is Losman guiding us in to the playoffs.

My major issue with this post is the use of the word "if" in the title...please enter "when." :P

Apparently the person who started this thread as well as most of Trent's aficionados did not know. NONE OF YOU WANT TO ADDRESS THE FACT TRENT HAS BEEN INJURY PRONE SINCE HIGH SCHOOL.

It goes back even further. He missed two games in third-grade flag football due to an unfortunate Dodge-ball injury.

In fifth grade, the well documented food fight incident in the cafeteria left him with a pinched nerve and a "pudding stained" new shirt he'd received from Gramma.

Finally, in seventh grade he slammed his hand while closing his locker on several occasions. Reportedly,This is why USC, CAL, and Arizona State cancelled his visits during his senior year.

BIG mistake to consider an extension with this "accident waiting to happen".

There are several views on this to consider which because people aren't their theorizing is even further displaced from reality.

1. Its a negotiation so it matters what the player will sign for.

If Trent for some reason wants to sign a gift contract for the Bills (like the one Travis Henry signed where he mortgaged a year of his career without free agency in exchange for relative chump change from the Bills up front) then the Bills would be stupid not to extend him after the season stats you describe.

My guess is that Trent would not be so stupid as to make dumb financial "investments" like Henry which forced him to sell a year, or that he would be addled enough by his personality or use of controlled substances to give such a gift to the Bills. However, there are tons of things we do not know about what makes Edwards tick such as if he needs money for a sick relative,was profligate in his youth or will meet some Jessica Simpson so may be a deal might make sense.

2. The other side of this same issue is regardless of what the Bills want would Edwards chose to sign a deal unless the Bills offered him Romo money prematurely.

Folks seem to consider these issues as though it was the old days (pre mid 80s lockout) when the owners did what ever these individuals chose to do. It ain't your Grandmother's NFL any more and while Edwards is not yet set for life, the contract he got as a 3rd rounder, the gifts and investment opportunities that comes to any NFL starter, and the likelihood that even if he sucks he likely will play enough years to qualify for an NFL pension gives him the ability if he chooses to not sign the first, second, and so on offer he gets from the Bills. Depending upon his own personality and plans if Edwards does well this year, maybe he makes a bet that if he pays insurance on injury for himself he should just hold off signing long term until a Romo deal emerges.

Folks simply do not seem to get that this a two-way street. They complained bitterly that the Bills did not sign Clements when actually as events bore out Clements would have been a fool to sign any deal the Bills offered him to lock him up over the last couple of years he was here. The Bills were limited by the old salary cap as to what they could offer him. By actually being "forced" to take a tag in his last year and then hit FA and sign a deal under the new cap Clements got far more scratch than he ever would have (or even could have under the old cap) from the Bills.

It is not a drop-dead certainty that the Bills could get Edwards to extend.

3. The other way the NFL is different is that its not just a Ralph calling the shots anymore.

Ralph demonstrated in the last CBA negotiation that he still believes in the old way where owners were rugged individualists too rich to be bulldozed by anyone. However, in the face of Upshaw declaring that any deal the owners offered needed to start with a 60+% of the total gross (60.5% is where they ended up) and Tagliabue joined with the NFLPA to get shrinking violets like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and Al Davis to smile when they signed a deal for 39.5% of more money than they ever imagined making from their team, the old days died and Ralph loss the vote 2-30.

The facts are that among the key elements which will guide the team led by Brandon, Overdorf, Jauron, et al. as they meet Ralph's needs will be what the fellow owners want in terms of deals being cut that they will have to match or exceed and what the senior partner of the NFL, the NFLPA wants in terms of allocations of the cap by team.

Certainly the Bills will have the final say and control the throttle of negotiations with Edwards and other individual Bills players. however, one is ignoring reality if you do not recognize that the money making and money distribution strategies of Ralph's fellow owner and the players are not controlling factors at all but also they are not to be totally ignored.

Merely considering this issue of whether to extend Edwards based on only what the Billa might or might not want to do is simply ignoring important and even determining factors in this equation.

Good post.

It goes back even further. He missed two games in third-grade flag football due to an unfortunate Dodge-ball injury.

In fifth grade, the well documented food fight incident in the cafeteria left him with a pinched nerve and a "pudding stained" new shirt he'd received from Gramma.

Finally, in seventh grade he slammed his hand while closing his locker on several occasions. Reportedly,This is why USC, CAL, and Arizona State cancelled his visits during his senior year.

BIG mistake to consider an extension with this "accident waiting to happen".

FUNNY POST. The subject of a player being injury prone is not to be taken lightly when it comes to a big money contract however.

Apparently the person who started this thread as well as most of Trent's aficionados did not know. NONE OF YOU WANT TO ADDRESS THE FACT TRENT HAS BEEN INJURY PRONE SINCE HIGH SCHOOL.

First of all "injury prone" is not a medical term. Any injuries Edwards has had are UNRELATED to one another. Nor are they related to any syndrome (i.e. concussion). They are a matter of coincidence. One has nothing to do with the other nor can any one injury be used to predict the occurance of another. Although the odds are against ANY QB taking all the snaps for a team in any given season, at least statistically, those statistics may NOT be used to predict an injury either. It comes down to chance.

When I look at his college game tapes I see a kid make the argument for the OPPOSITE of what you're trying to say; he's one tough motherf**ker. He had NO chance of any semblance of pass protection and yet, EVEN THOUGH HE KNEW IT, he didn't flinch. He stood in there and took a pounding. The very definition of the courage and toughness you want to see in your QB. Well, maybe not you.

GO BILLS!!!

First of all "injury prone" is not a medical term. Any injuries Edwards has had are UNRELATED to one another. Nor are they related to any syndrome (i.e. concussion). They are a matter of coincidence. One has nothing to do with the other nor can any one injury be used to predict the occurance of another. Although the odds are against ANY QB taking all the snaps for a team in any given season, at least statistically, those statistics may NOT be used to predict an injury either. It comes down to chance.

When I look at his college game tapes I see a kid make the argument for the OPPOSITE of what you're trying to say; he's one tough motherf**ker. He had NO chance of any semblance of pass protection and yet, EVEN THOUGH HE KNEW IT, he didn't flinch. He stood in there and took a pounding. The very definition of the courage and toughness you want to see in your QB. Well, maybe not you.

GO BILLS!!!

It is a matter of genetics. Brett Favre played how many games without being injured? I remember Rob Johnson standing in there taking a pounding as well, but guess what he got INJURED from the pounding, & I wouldn't want him on my team.

It is a matter of genetics. Brett Favre played how many games without being injured? I remember Rob Johnson standing in there taking a pounding as well, but guess what he got INJURED from the pounding, & I wouldn't want him on my team.

Oh, Favre got injured plenty. But, there aren't many that are going to continue to play QB in the NFL with a broken hand, etc.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but Trent has expressed that he has "other interests" outside of football in the past. If serious, that may throw a wet blanket on any long-term playing arrangements (ala Robert Smith).

Not that simple but hey, if you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, what can I say? Or do you play a doctor on TV?

I appreciate your point about genetics and, as long as we're on the subject, Rob Johnson was NOT genetically pre-disposed to playing in the NFL. He couldn't even fall down correctly for crissakes. He was an awkward doofus with spindly legs (no foundation) and a skinny body NEVER BUILT to support the added muscle he needed to attain the mass necessary to stand up to the pounding. He was never touched in high or college and NOBODY questioned his durability. But he was EXPOSED in Buffalo.

Edwards on the other hand is thicker and CAN support the extra muscle weight (I believe he's added about 10 lbs since last season?). But most importantly he's already PROVED he can stand up to the rigors.

Now I know you'll continue to argue this point incessantly and I hope we won't have to go there but why don't you include YOU KNOW WHO on your list of QBs on the Bills that have been injured during their careers in Buffalo? I'm glad YOU KNOW WHO defied the odds in '06 and took all the snaps. But what about '04, '05, and '07? Yeah, I know THOSE injuries don't count because it's YOU KNOW WHO and last year it was because of a cheap shot and all, but YOU KNOW WHO has NEVER taken the constant pounding like Edwards did in college. I'm not saying YOU KNOW WHO is not tough, I think he is. But Edwards is just as tough and has proved it over and over.

GO BILLS!!!

Not that simple but hey, if you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, what can I say? Or do you play a doctor on TV?

I appreciate your point about genetics and, as long as we're on the subject, Rob Johnson was NOT genetically pre-disposed to playing in the NFL. He couldn't even fall down correctly for crissakes. He was an awkward doofus with spindly legs (no foundation) and a skinny body NEVER BUILT to support the added muscle he needed to attain the mass necessary to stand up to the pounding. He was never touched in high or college and NOBODY questioned his durability. But he was EXPOSED in Buffalo.

Edwards on the other hand is thicker and CAN support the extra muscle weight (I believe he's added about 10 lbs since last season?). But most importantly he's already PROVED he can stand up to the rigors.

Now I know you'll continue to argue this point incessantly and I hope we won't have to go there but why don't you include YOU KNOW WHO on your list of QBs on the Bills that have been injured during their careers in Buffalo? I'm glad YOU KNOW WHO defied the odds in '06 and took all the snaps. But what about '04, '05, and '07? Yeah, I know THOSE injuries don't count because it's YOU KNOW WHO and last year it was because of a cheap shot and all, but YOU KNOW WHO has NEVER taken the constant pounding like Edwards did in college. I'm not saying YOU KNOW WHO is not tough, I think he is. But Edwards is just as tough and has proved it over and over.

GO BILLS!!!

I can ask the same of you, I didn't know you were a doctor either. If you say the 10 pounds Trent put on will keep him from being injured, I guess you are all knowing. I'm not disputing Trent's toughness, I'm just saying let's see him stay on the field for an ENTIRE season before giving him a big contract.

Oh, Favre got injured plenty. But, there aren't many that are going to continue to play QB in the NFL with a broken hand, etc.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but Trent has expressed that he has "other interests" outside of football in the past. If serious, that may throw a wet blanket on any long-term playing arrangements (ala Robert Smith).

Not to piss on the sacred cow, but wasn't Farve addicted to pain killers for an 19 month period that allowed him to go out and play through some pain for most of, if not all of a season? I think it was around the time he went to the Super Bowl.

I don't think it was that Farve was unbreakable, he just had a better threshold for pain than most.

I can ask the same of you, I didn't know you were a doctor either. If you say the 10 pounds Trent put on will keep him from being injured, I guess you are all knowing. I'm not disputing Trent's toughness, I'm just saying let's see him stay on the field for an ENTIRE season before giving him a big contract.

I didn't come close to suggesting the 10 lbs Edwards put on would keep him from getting injured. What I DID say, perhaps not clearly enough, is that his BODY TYPE is more suited to ADDED MUSCLE weight (and the subsequent added stress on tendons and ligaments) than Rob Johnson's body type. You invited the Rob Johnson comparisons in the first place.

Edwards getting injured or not is a matter of CHANCE and has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM GETTING HURT PREVIOUSLY. You're saying it's a foregone conclusion. I agree only in so far as MOST STARTING QBs DON'T START ALL GAMES DUE TO INJURY AT SOME POINT FOR SOME REASON during the course of the season. You seem to want to make it MORE of an issue simply because it's not your QB of choice.

If YOU KNOW WHO were the starter, would you have the same concerns? Even though the odds of YOU KNOW WHO getting hurt are just the same? Please, answer the question honestly. \

GO BILLS!!!

Not to piss on the sacred cow, but wasn't Farve addicted to pain killers for an 19 month period that allowed him to go out and play through some pain for most of, if not all of a season? I think it was around the time he went to the Super Bowl.

I don't think it was that Farve was unbreakable, he just had a better threshold for pain than most.

Favre is one tough SOB, & has had many minor injuries but he was able to stay on the field & keep playing. That is the point I was making.

It's Favre. I didn't say he was unbreakable; I said the exact opposite, in fact. He had many injuries over his career, but played through it. You never saw him take a month off after falling on a football.

To your question: yes, Favre was addicted to painkillers. Vicodin to be exact. That was news 12 years ago. The guy played for 17 seasons, starting 16 years and holds the record with 275 straight starts. His painkiller addiction notwithstanding.

I remember Rob Johnson standing in there taking a pounding as well, but guess what he got INJURED from the pounding, & I wouldn't want him on my team.

But RJ sucked. We wouldn't want any qb who sucks to be our starter, right?

Wait......never mind.

I didn't come close to suggesting the 10 lbs Edwards put on would keep him from getting injured. What I DID say, perhaps not clearly enough, is that his BODY TYPE is more suited to ADDED MUSCLE weight (and the subsequent added stress on tendons and ligaments) than Rob Johnson's body type. You invited the Rob Johnson comparisons in the first place.

Edwards getting injured or not is a matter of CHANCE and has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM GETTING HURT PREVIOUSLY. You're saying it's a foregone conclusion. I agree only in so far as MOST STARTING QBs DON'T START ALL GAMES DUE TO INJURY AT SOME POINT FOR SOME REASON during the course of the season. You seem to want to make it MORE of an issue simply because it's not your QB of choice.

If YOU KNOW WHO were the starter, would you have the same concerns? Even though the odds of YOU KNOW WHO getting hurt are just the same? Please, answer the question honestly. \

GO BILLS!!!

Who are you to judge if Trent's body type is more suited to the added muscle weight than Rob's? I would like to know, seeing you are a doctor what area you specialize in, or did I misunderstand you, & you are not a doctor at all. I would not want to give ANY player at any position a long term contract for major $$$ that is known to be injury prone, & yes some players are more predisposed to injury than others & I would include Trent in that group. I would also like to know where you got Trent's college game tapes I would be interested in seeing them myself.

Who are you to judge if Trent's body type is more suited to the added muscle weight than Rob's? I would like to know, seeing you are a doctor what area you specialize in, or did I misunderstand you, & you are not a doctor at all. I would not want to give ANY player at any position a long term contract for major $$$ that is known to be injury prone, & yes some players are more predisposed to injury than others & I would include Trent in that group. I would also like to know where you got Trent's college game tapes I would be interested in seeing them myself.

No, I am not a doctor but one doesn't need an MD to gain a simple understanding of excercize physiology, kinesiology, and anatomy over the years. You don't need an MD to do research and gain knowledge. I don't profess to be an expert, just someone who has needed to put some time in to gain an understanding in these areas. But if it makes YOU feel better consult an MD, preferably one who is current in the field of sports medicine to see if what I'm saying is baseless or not.

Regarding the body type argument, one can simply base this on simple observation of both players both in shirt sleeves and shorts while closely watching their movements during the course of several practices. Heck, you can even tell a lot by watching them in pads in games.

The bolded part is complete and utter BS from both a medical and statistical point of view. Again, consult an MD if you like, but unless you're discussing something like consussion syndrome, there is no predisposition. Do you know for a fact that Edwards has some such syndrome in his past? You bet your ass the Bills medical staff knows.

As for the game tapes, I have limited access to both NFL coaches tape and some college tape. I asked someone for a favor on some Edwards clips and got lucky. I've been asked about this before and suffice it to say I am simply not at liberty to share them. Indeed I can't even keep them for more than a few days. Call that BS (as some have) but I'm ok with that. I understand. I'd be skeptical, too.

I'm still waiting for your honest answer to my YOU KNOW WHO question. If he were the starter would he or wouldn't he have the same statistical chance as Edwards of getting hurt at some point in the season? He defied the odds in '06. But he got hurt in every other pro season. I say yes. As I would to nearly EVERY QB in the league. You want to ignore that because Edwards is simply not your choice for QB.

GO BILLS!!!