Contrarian thinking

Fastro

So many threads have discussed trading down to acquire extra picks here, that I thought I would discuss trading up. While I am always a fan of getting more players to fill in depth and STs, why not look at trading up for quality? NE always seems to be looking to trade their pick. I would be ecstatic if Dorsey, Ellis or especially Gholston dropped down to the number 7 pick. Draft Chart values would mean having to sacrifice our 3rd to move up 4 spots but this might be a great oportunity to pick up an impact player on the D who is NOT a reach. We could then pursue a WR or TE in the 2nd or with one of our 4th round picks. Anybody agree with me?

I disagree. How do you know that Gholston is a better DE then Merling or Jackson? How do you know Sweed is better then Doucet? Davis better then Bennet? It is a crap shoot and we have many holes. The draft is fairly deep this year, and the more high picks we have the better the odds of finding a great player

I disagree. How do you know that Gholston is a better DE then Merling or Jackson? How do you know Sweed is better then Doucet? Davis better then Bennet? It is a crap shoot and we have many holes. The draft is fairly deep this year, and the more high picks we have the better the odds of finding a great player

Umm, let me get this right. It's a deep draft, so we need to keep the #11? If it's deep, wouldn't we be better off dropping lower, and picking up a 3rd or 4th extra?

Trading to get more picks is a bad idea. We won't be allowed to keep them all on our roster. Trading to get quality players by trading up might not be a bad idea. I think a trade up into the second round could be what will happen. As for the first round, I think we will stay with the 11th pick.

Anybody agree with me?

I was with you until you mentioned trading with NE. Frankly I don't trust our front office to get the better of that deal. Now if there's someone we want still around at #8 or 9, I'd be all for it.

I was with you until you mentioned trading with NE. Frankly I don't trust our front office to get the better of that deal. Now if there's someone we want still around at #8 or 9, I'd be all for it.

I think if any of the top D linemen slide down, that Cincy at 9 would grab them. It doesn't look like Baltimore at 8 or the Saints at 10 are really looking D linemen for their top needs. Of course, I am not sitting in their draft rooms so you never know especially if it someone high on their respective draft lists.

I've said all along that if Buffalo trades up, which I doubt will happen, the guy to get is Sedrick Ellis.... He looks like he has the potential to be great in a cover-two system...

But I believe its more likely that the Bills either trade down (not likely, but possible) or pick at 11 and then trade back up into the late first or very early second (more likely, since they've done it in the last 3 out of 4 drafts)

New England either will not trade with a division rival or they will get the better of the deal if they do.... and I don't want to see that team get any advantages... especially with help from us!

Trading to get more picks is a bad idea. We won't be allowed to keep them all on our roster. Trading to get quality players by trading up might not be a bad idea. I think a trade up into the second round could be what will happen. As for the first round, I think we will stay with the 11th pick.

I was wondering if this is what the Bills were thinking, because there are good CB's and TE's available in the second.

To me it looks like the CB's (Smith, Godfrey, and maybe King) will get a close look in Round 2, and TE's Bennett/Davis.

Smith is the likely CB because he's had Safety experience and is well suited for Cover-2, and can do KR as well. Bennett is the better blocking/receiving guy. I think Bennett goes at pick #42 (where we already are) and Smith falls to #48-49-50 (ATL-PHI-ARI all need CB's).

To do this, we would need to talk to teams in the RD2 #44-47 range.

At 44, Chicago wants a QB; we offer Losman and our 4th.

At 46, Cincy wants a OLB; we offer Crowell for their 2nd and 5th, or Ellison and our 4th. Cro had 11 tackles in the Cincy game last year, one less than their entire LB corps.

Im going to say, because we need a reciever or a corner more then we need a defensive tackle or defense end right now..and 11 is a prime spot to grab the best corner or reciever..if we choose to stay at 11.

we also need a Center- maybe we should draft the best one in the draft at #11

I was wondering if this is what the Bills were thinking, because there are good CB's and TE's available in the second.

To me it looks like the CB's (Smith, Godfrey, and maybe King) will get a close look in Round 2, and TE's Bennett/Davis.

Smith is the likely CB because he's had Safety experience and is well suited for Cover-2, and can do KR as well. Bennett is the better blocking/receiving guy. I think Bennett goes at pick #42 (where we already are) and Smith falls to #48-49-50 (ATL-PHI-ARI all need CB's).

To do this, we would need to talk to teams in the RD2 #44-47 range.

At 44, Chicago wants a QB; we offer Losman and our 4th.

At 46, Cincy wants a OLB; we offer Crowell for their 2nd and 5th, or Ellison and our 4th. Cro had 11 tackles in the Cincy game last year, one less than their entire LB corps.

I really like your plan to trade JP or Crowell.

This fits in with the Bills history of needlessly creating holes where there were none - with the added bonus of not being able to replace or adquately fill the hole in free agency OR the draft.

great plan!! :thumbdown: