Justifying drafting James Hardy

Let me start off by saying that I am NOT "for" picking this guy, I'm simply generating a friendly debate here.

So, give me a moment here folks, and allow me to play "Devil's Advocate" here, ok?

I know he had those "character concerns": Allegedly hitting his wife/child two years ago, and arguing with his coach, resulting in a suspension.

But I ultimately feel like, character concerns aside, that he fits the bill of what we need from the WR position.

I'm talking strictly from a football stand-point here.

At 6'6" he's as big as WRs come. 36 TDs in 32 games? Isn't that EXACTLY the kind of redzone production we need?

Imagine the avaerage corner, 5'10", trying to out jump a 6'6" former basketball player. Good luck!

He's a match-up nightmare, especially in the redzone. The redzone? Hey, isn't the place where we couldn't score and had to settle for FGs all the time? I think it is.

Anybody here who's seen Plaxico Burress play can have an idea as to what Hardy would bring to the table. Only Hardy is more athletic.

Like I said people, I'm not suggesting we pick this guy, but have an open mind and take a look at this guy from the position of what positives he could bring us.

Let me start off by saying that I am NOT "for" picking this guy, I'm simply generating a friendly debate here.

So, give me a moment here folks, and allow me to play "Devil's Advocate" here, ok?

I know he had those "character concerns": Allegedly hitting his wife/child two years ago, and arguing with his coach, resulting in a suspension.

But I ultimately feel like, character concerns aside, that he fits the bill of what we need from the WR position.

I'm talking strictly from a football stand-point here.

At 6'6" he's as big as WRs come. 36 TDs in 32 games? Isn't that EXACTLY the kind of redzone production we need?

Imagine the avaerage corner, 5'10", trying to out jump a 6'6" former basketball player. Good luck!

He's a match-up nightmare, especially in the redzone. The redzone? Hey, isn't the place where we couldn't score and had to settle for FGs all the time? I think it is.

Anybody here who's seen Plaxico Burress play can have an idea as to what Hardy would bring to the table. Only Hardy is more athletic.

Like I said people, I'm not suggesting we pick this guy, but have an open mind and take a look at this guy from the position of what positives he could bring us.

Height and jumping ability are certainly important given the midgets we have at WR, but so is the ability to present a big target over the middle and absorb contact. Multiple game-changing interceptions were thrown to Evans on 10 yard slants to the middle of the field where both the QB and WR were clearly uncomfortable with the route. Can Hardy take the contact? Same with Sweed. I haven't seen enough of these guys to answer that.

This year's WRs are a total toss-up. None of them have separated themselves from the rest, there is no front runner IMO. None of these guys seem like legit number ones.

Next year will be a whole different story, Michael Crabtree anyone? That's irrelevant though.

This year's WRs are a total toss-up. None of them have separated themselves from the rest, there is no front runner IMO. None of these guys seem like legit number ones.

Next year will be a whole different story, Michael Crabtree anyone? That's irrelevant though.

I would be scared that Crabtree is a product of the system they run down there at Tech. I would not touch him until at least the third round.

I would be scared that Crabtree is a product of the system they run down there at Tech. I would not touch him until at least the third round.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. System or no system, as a freshman playing college football for the first time, he was a man among boys. He was the best WR in the country, maybe the best offensive weapon in all of football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPz7caPqoJE

So, without speculating about Crabtree and addressing this post, I think from a purely position driven standpoint, Hardy is a very good choice. He does have the ability to go over the middle and make some difficult throws. Keep in mind that a lot of interceptions were thrown Evans's way because he was constantly double covered and throws to him were often forced. With a legit number two guy, Evans will have more one-on-ones and will be open on more of those routes. Also, that will allow Josh Reed to do his job from the position where he is most comfortable: in the slot. Reed does go over the middle and has excelled there when given the opportunity.

Hardy has the potential to be a Randy Moss type player for the Bills, at least from a purely positional standpoint. He has the size, speed and numbers to support drafting him in the first round, though at #11 might be a bit much. I see Buffalo trading back and taking either him or Devin Thomas later in the first round and using their second rounder on a TE or a CB. If they trade back and get another second, they get both.

Overall, I think drafting Hardy would be a very good move for the Bills. Also, on the character front, he has been completely clean during the last two years, and he seems like he has grown up a lot since those incidents his freshman/sophomore year. I think he might be a great pick for the Bills.

So, without speculating about Crabtree and addressing this post, I think from a purely position driven standpoint, Hardy is a very good choice. He does have the ability to go over the middle and make some difficult throws. Keep in mind that a lot of interceptions were thrown Evans's way because he was constantly double covered and throws to him were often forced. With a legit number two guy, Evans will have more one-on-ones and will be open on more of those routes. Also, that will allow Josh Reed to do his job from the position where he is most comfortable: in the slot. Reed does go over the middle and has excelled there when given the opportunity.

Hardy has the potential to be a Randy Moss type player for the Bills, at least from a purely positional standpoint. He has the size, speed and numbers to support drafting him in the first round, though at #11 might be a bit much. I see Buffalo trading back and taking either him or Devin Thomas later in the first round and using their second rounder on a TE or a CB. If they trade back and get another second, they get both.

Overall, I think drafting Hardy would be a very good move for the Bills. Also, on the character front, he has been completely clean during the last two years, and he seems like he has grown up a lot since those incidents his freshman/sophomore year. I think he might be a great pick for the Bills.

Thank you. You read my post and gave the EXACT reply I was hoping for. Like I said, from a positional standpoint. Thanks again, I whole-heartedly agree with you.

No way. He put up insane numbers against everybody as a redshirt freshman. If he has a repeat season he'll go number one overall. 6'3", 208lbs, 4.4 speed.

But we're getting off topic.

This guy is the guy. He really is the elite talent. An absolute giant. He has good hands. He can Jump out of the gym. He has a weekly spot on sirius and he is definately the player in this draft with the most upside. He is good enough to start for us right now. He has all of the tools to develope into the greatest wr of all time. Look at his workout numbers: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33065

here is some stuff I just randomly found, look at all of it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3182235

http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...dy_james00.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afr3PoA9ibI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKWmtkf8P4...feature=related

Now, I'm not saying that the Bills should draft this guy at #11 but I wouldn't be upset if they did. Although I'm not entirely sure when it is, I've been trying to catch his weekly spot on sirius. So far, I have heard him twice. He is a very intelligent man. He is well spoken and the hosts agree that he has a very high ceiling. He has now focused his career on football after realizing that it is his true love after his freshman year. I believe that he is sincere in the statements he has made. He claims that he had a lot of growing up to do and he is a different man now than he was 2 years ago and to me, he has really silenced anybody that has done research trying to find the character flaw... He is a good man. He will be an elite wr for a long time. mark my words. Every team that passes on him will regret it. He is NOT injury prone as of now. If he is available to draft, I say get him. I'm smelling a trade up from our 2nd or a trade down from our 1st and this is our guy... LOL, I hope!

Mainly, my point to the post was the potential he represents. As of right now, every wr entering the draft has some sort of issue. I also like Malcolm Kelly and Limus Sweed. Devin Thomas isn't a natural at catching the ball, at least as far as it appears to me. He doesn't use his fingertips like the other 3. Kelly has thigh issues and is already considered injury prone before ever stepping foot in the NFL. The same thing can be said about sweed, add the trouble beating press coverage. THere is coaching that needs to be done. My thoughts are that Hardy has had not only the least amount of coaching, but more than likely the worst players around him. He almost single handidly carried his team to a bowl game which is a huge accomplishment for IU. I really hope that we get a tall wr in rd 1 simply because of the need at TE in rd 2. In my opinion rd 2 is a very good value for a TE that can step in right away= Fred Davis

The one thing that sticks out to me is that he has had the same Girlfriend for 9 years now. AS a superstar athlete, thats gotta be hard to do. She totally changed her tune when he was gonna get in trouble. As far as I know, they are still together and happy. James talked about how wonderful his child is and being a dad is. Then he touched on how happy and excited his family is right now. I believe he is engaged or married now...

Also I found out that he was suspended from the team because he and his teamates went across state lines with some kegs, which are illegal in Indiana. He took all the blame and he was suspended for it.

Here is a story about interviews at the combine he had:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=7913456

Falstaff in Philly had this to say...

Did you like James Lofton? You know why Green Bay traded him away? Sexual assault charge

How about Cornelius Bennett? Sexual assault with 35 days in jail

How about Bruce Smith? 2 time DUI + 2 time loser in substance testing

Darryl Talley? Assault and DUI

Thurman Thomas? Marijuana

Damien Covington? Drugs and shot dead

The list continues. let's not kid ourselves here. If in 10 years he had one physical altercation with a woman, admitted guilt, completed his program, showed contrition he's fine by me. The keg thing is stupid college crap and he stood up and took the blame for that too.

speaking of separation - none of these 1st round "studs" has shown the consistent ability to separate from college CBs.

they should wait and take Earl Bennett or Jordy Nelson.

use the 1st round pick on a legitimate impact player on D or OL

Great post, Dan. You don't always take the popular point of view, and I respect that.

I for one want the most dangerous, high-impact WR we can draft opposite Lee Evans, and I want the most dangerous, high-impact TE that we can draft to further confound the defenses we'll face. The safest choice -- probably Limas Sweed -- or the great potential choice --Devin Thomas-- or the "don't look at combine numbers, or injuries" choice--Malcolm Kelly-- might not be the right choice. A tall end zone threat in Hardy might be the highest reward. Same with Fred Davis, as he has some character issues, as well. But Davis might be the most dangerous.

My theory on reading the tea leaves:

Premise 1: Since Levy took over and even before that, the Bills have always played games with the media before the draft. There are a ton of examples. Specifically this year from Mayock's latest Mock: "Scenario 1: Wide receiver is the top need and the word on the street is the Bills will reach for Thomas if they can't make a deal to trade back a few spots." So, obviously they are doing it again. Same thing as last year and the year before. In fact, I would almost say that Thomas is not going to happen based on this, almost. :huh:

Premise 2: Dick Jauron specifically said that they were looking for a tall WR with good hands to help in the red zone, etc. or something to that effect.

Premise 3: The Bills have said nothing about Hardy, nor have they said much about Albert(G from Virginia or the DE Harvey, another guy people want here). The same as they said little or nothing about Whitner or Lynch. They gave hints about Poz, but I believe that was to throw people off their desire to draft Lynch. Marv even went so far as to talk up Fred Jackson = "Fred Jackson has really impressed the coaching staff".

Premise 4: We have an extra 4th round pick

Conclusions:

Due to 1, it's likely the Bills are going to stay where they are. In fact, I believe they will take Albert G from Virginia or the DE people like at #11. Anything but WR at #11.

Due to 2-4, it's likely the Bills are going to use their extra 4th and their second to move up to Miami's pick at 32, or something similar, and take Hardy.

I think we will hear something about a WR, but not Hardy, pretty soon in an effort to distract from the guy they are looking at for #11, if we didn't hear it already per Mayock.

The fact is that all of this WR talk is probably a cloak for another position/guy that they really want. I would not be surprised at all if Hardy is at the top of their list for their 2nd round pick, and they might even risk staying put and hoping he falls to them.

But, after all, it's just a theory.

Great post, Dan. You don't always take the popular point of view, and I respect that.

I for one want the most dangerous, high-impact WR we can draft opposite Lee Evans, and I want the most dangerous, high-impact TE that we can draft to further confound the defenses we'll face. The safest choice -- probably Limas Sweed -- or the great potential choice --Devin Thomas-- or the "don't look at combine numbers, or injuries" choice--Malcolm Kelly-- might not be the right choice. A tall end zone threat in Hardy might be the highest reward. Same with Fred Davis, as he has some character issues, as well. But Davis might be the most dangerous.

Thank you. I appreciated your posts also. I do a lot of studying to form my own opinions. I can tell that you and a handful of other posters do the same. I appreciate everybody's points of view and try very hard to not be a jerk, or push my feelings onto others. I very much agree with you on a ton of stuff, this being one of the biggest topics recently.

The Bills have a hard time scoring touchdowns. Hardy will help the Bills score more td. Davis is the most NFL ready te out there in my opinion. It would be awesome to add a TD maker and a every down Te that is a threat.

I think that most people really need to check their expectations for the player that they are trying to "push". I for one am trying to talk about positions of need and players available at those positions. Realistically, what does somebody expect to get from a wr? I can expect 50 catches from our #2 wr this year. Is that realistic? I think so... Ok, so how many td could Thomas score this year? I don't know. I can honestly say that I think that Hardy is good for 10td every year. Maybe he catches 50 passes maybe he catches 100 passes. But I think he can step right in and cause matchup problems all day.

Think of what a combination of a TD making wr and a legit threat at TE can open up for an offense? With the safety unable to play in the box, we can realistically expect Lynch's average per carry to skyrocket. We can realistically expect less sacks, more under routes open, more screens, better play action success, and most importantly more points. The main reason that our rb position doesn't catch screen/flare passes is because he can't get away from the safety. Currently, Who else does the strong safety have to worry about? Reed? Royal? I don't expect that to change with an addition of whoever slips(for good reason) into the 2nd at Wr and whoever slips(for good reason) into the 3rd at TE.

So let me ask this question, not to you Astro. But to everyone in complete disagreement with what I have to say. What do you realistically expect to get out of our 1st and 2nd rd draft pick this season? How about beyond that? I expect that our 1st and 2nd rd pick does something to change the way defenses defend us. It is not Fairchilds fault. I would be able to come up with a sure fire plan to stop this offense. Double Lee, stack the box, safety keys on RB. Bills are stopped. LOL, its funny cause its true.

The way I see it is like this. This is the perfect scenario for the Bills to be drafting. Teams aren't putting a high value on Wr in this draft. The Bills can't afford to miss at WR. They will have their choice of all of them. TE is a similar position this year. The Bills should realistically have thier choice of TE this year. If they take anything else other than WR in rd 1 and TE in rd 2, they run a very high risk of not getting the best player available at these positions in this draft. What more can you ask for than the absolute best WR and absolute best Te when they are obviously a teams biggest needs. Every addition after that is just great! Its not like the Bills are gonna ignore our needs elsewhere. Its just that they won't be getting the top player at those positions. Its not very likely that Buffalo will be able to address their needs with the best player at their biggest weekness every season. At this point will be impossible to convince me that there isn't at least one superstar available at every single position in every single NFL draft. Show me otherwise...

Thank you. I appreciated your posts also. I do a lot of studying to form my own opinions. I can tell that you and a handful of other posters do the same. I appreciate everybody's points of view and try very hard to not be a jerk, or push my feelings onto others. I very much agree with you on a ton of stuff, this being one of the biggest topics recently.

The Bills have a hard time scoring touchdowns. Hardy will help the Bills score more td. Davis is the most NFL ready te out there in my opinion. It would be awesome to add a TD maker and a every down Te that is a threat.

I think that most people really need to check their expectations for the player that they are trying to "push". I for one am trying to talk about positions of need and players available at those positions. Realistically, what does somebody expect to get from a wr? I can expect 50 catches from our #2 wr this year. Is that realistic? I think so... Ok, so how many td could Thomas score this year? I don't know. I can honestly say that I think that Hardy is good for 10td every year. Maybe he catches 50 passes maybe he catches 100 passes. But I think he can step right in and cause matchup problems all day.

Think of what a combination of a TD making wr and a legit threat at TE can open up for an offense? With the safety unable to play in the box, we can realistically expect Lynch's average per carry to skyrocket. We can realistically expect less sacks, more under routes open, more screens, better play action success, and most importantly more points. The main reason that our rb position doesn't catch screen/flare passes is because he can't get away from the safety. Currently, Who else does the strong safety have to worry about? Reed? Royal? I don't expect that to change with an addition of whoever slips(for good reason) into the 2nd at Wr and whoever slips(for good reason) into the 3rd at TE.

So let me ask this question, not to you Astro. But to everyone in complete disagreement with what I have to say. What do you realistically expect to get out of our 1st and 2nd rd draft pick this season? How about beyond that? I expect that our 1st and 2nd rd pick does something to change the way defenses defend us. It is not Fairchilds fault. I would be able to come up with a sure fire plan to stop this offense. Double Lee, stack the box, safety keys on RB. Bills are stopped. LOL, its funny cause its true.

The way I see it is like this. This is the perfect scenario for the Bills to be drafting. Teams aren't putting a high value on Wr in this draft. The Bills can't afford to miss at WR. They will have their choice of all of them. TE is a similar position this year. The Bills should realistically have thier choice of TE this year. If they take anything else other than WR in rd 1 and TE in rd 2, they run a very high risk of not getting the best player available at these positions in this draft. What more can you ask for than the absolute best WR and absolute best Te when they are obviously a teams biggest needs. Every addition after that is just great! Its not like the Bills are gonna ignore our needs elsewhere. Its just that they won't be getting the top player at those positions. Its not very likely that Buffalo will be able to address their needs with the best player at their biggest weekness every season. At this point will be impossible to convince me that there isn't at least one superstar available at every single position in every single NFL draft. Show me otherwise...

I don't find myself agreeing with people whole-heartedly on this board very often, but I think you said everything that I have been thinking for a while. People often fall in love with one guy and push him as the best choice. However, that ignores the essential and undisputed fact that we have positions of NEED that have to be addressed with top choice talent. Those NEEDS would be WR, TE, CB. The last is not truly a need, but I would like to get another decent player in there in the event that the secondary takes another beating injury-wise this year.

People who want an O-Lineman or a DE are thinking smart, but not thinking NEED. Those are positions where better players would be nice. WR and TE are positions where if we don't get upgrades, we won't win seven games. The D is much improved after FA and I think the Bills are done with high profile acquisitions on that side of the ball (barring some trade down with PHI that nets Leto Shepard, a deal that is not likely to happen). James Hardy, by his physical attributes and his numbers has the potential to be the next Randy Moss. Not to mention, he's taller, faster, and has better hands and a better vertical leap than Moss did in his prime. Buffalo NEEDS a player like this, be it Hardy, Thomas, Jackson, Sweed or Kelly.

As for TE, Fred Davis, Kellan Davis, Rucker, or Carson would be instant upgrades at the position and would provide a third weapon on the field. If Buffalo intends to win games this season, they had better get Trent some weapons. A top flight WR and TE would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I don't find myself agreeing with people whole-heartedly on this board very often, but I think you said everything that I have been thinking for a while. People often fall in love with one guy and push him as the best choice. However, that ignores the essential and undisputed fact that we have positions of NEED that have to be addressed with top choice talent. Those NEEDS would be WR, TE, CB. The last is not truly a need, but I would like to get another decent player in there in the event that the secondary takes another beating injury-wise this year.

People who want an O-Lineman or a DE are thinking smart, but not thinking NEED. Those are positions where better players would be nice. WR and TE are positions where if we don't get upgrades, we won't win seven games. The D is much improved after FA and I think the Bills are done with high profile acquisitions on that side of the ball (barring some trade down with PHI that nets Leto Shepard, a deal that is not likely to happen). James Hardy, by his physical attributes and his numbers has the potential to be the next Randy Moss. Not to mention, he's taller, faster, and has better hands and a better vertical leap than Moss did in his prime. Buffalo NEEDS a player like this, be it Hardy, Thomas, Jackson, Sweed or Kelly.

As for TE, Fred Davis, Kellan Davis, Rucker, or Carson would be instant upgrades at the position and would provide a third weapon on the field. If Buffalo intends to win games this season, they had better get Trent some weapons. A top flight WR and TE would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I like the pickup of OL or DL in rd 1. I like it almost always because it is smart, you are correct. The problem is that Buffalo has some holes that can't be fixed with a free agent, and some holes that they can't realistically have and win at the same time. I'd be very surprised if one of the top 4 tall wr fell to rd 2. I'd actually be happy with any of them. But Hardy is clearly my choice... Trading down with Philly and aquiring sheppard would basically be a dream come true scenario. Then the Bills can draft a tall wr in rd 1, the te in rd 2 and BPA every pick on...

You don't need tall WRs to score TDs.

The biggest improvement in scoring TDs is for the Bills to actually throw the ball into the endzone- preferably from outside the redzone.

Historically, the most TD passes are from the 20 -30 yard lines.

The Billls do not need the best players at WR and TE. What they need are the best playmakers available at their draft slots. They should not pass on playmakers on defense or a stud OL to take a lesser player just because he is a tall WR.

The biggest improvement in scoring TDs is for the Bills to actually throw the ball into the endzone- preferably from outside the redzone.

The Billls do not need the best players at WR and TE. What they need are the best playmakers available at their draft slots. They should not pass on playmakers on defense or a stud OL to take a lesser player just because he is a tall WR.

I see your point, but disagree...

The point is that they really need a wr more than any other position. Combined with the fact that there is some really good wr that are being overlooked this year.

They are tall.

And they possess really good ability to win jump balls not only in the red zone but also from 30 yds out and even on 3rd down.

And speed.

And if we don't draft one early then we still won't get a top notch TE, again

Um, the problem is, if you throw the ball to a guy who is shorter than the corner he is playing against, or your only good receiver is double covered, it makes it hard to throw in the endzone from that far away. Everyone knows who you're throwing too, and frankly JR and RP don't have the hands to make those plays. They are short to medium route guys. LE is our ONLY option in the deep passing game and that just doesn't cut it. Believe me, I would love to pick up more talent on the D and O lines, but that would be a wasted first round pick. If you don't get people who can score points, the line can block all day, and it won't mean squat.

Buffalo NEEDS a WR and a TE badly. CB is almost at that category just due to the lack of any talent behind the three starters at that position. (I'm not counting the safeties with the CBs). After that, an improvement at ONE position on the offensive line is necessary, that being at center, and Buffalo can draft a very good one in Mike Pollack in the third round. Or Kory Lichtensteiger with the second fourth or fifth rounder. Both have size and talent advantages over Fowler, who should be retained as a backup. After that, you can take BPA. There is a lot of talent in this draft at a number of positions that Fourth-Seventh Round picks might all prove to be starting caliber.

Taking need over BPA is what teams who are successful do in the draft. Donablow tried the BPA strategy for all those years and where did it get us? Nowhere. Now we are trying to fix his mess. We're so close. There's no reason to go back to those failed policies of the past.

• 2 weeks later...