Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State

This guy's name has popped up a few times recently, so I did some investigating.

This guy had a monster season: 122 catches, 1606 receiving yards, and 11 TDs. Wow!

This guy put up huge numbers against some decent competition too. The Big 12 is nothing to sneeze at with the likes of Texas and Mizzou among others.

I like this guy as a sleeper pick in the draft. He's faster when playing than his 40 time would suggest.

I wouldn't mind if we scooped this guy up in round four.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy's name has popped up a few times recently, so I did some investigating.

This guy had a monster season: 122 catches, 1606 receiving yards, and 11 TDs. Wow!

This guy put up huge numbers against some decent competition too. The Big 12 is nothing to sneeze at with the likes of Texas and Mizzou among others.

I like this guy as a sleeper pick in the draft. He's faster when playing than his 40 time would suggest.

I like him.

Unfortunately, he will be gone in the second or third.

Pro Football Weeekly actually has him rated as the 34rth player on their draft board. High praise indeed.

He wouldn't be there in round four but round 3 possibly. The kid is a hard worker with impeccable character. I'd love to see this kid become a Bill!! :wallbash:

He wouldn't be there in round four but round 3 possibly. The kid is a hard worker with impeccable character. I'd love to see this kid become a Bill!! :wallbash:

Unlike Hardy, Nelson gets props all over the place for being a very high character player, an attribute highly valued by the Bills. He also caught 10 passes for 137 yards against one of the top corners in this draft, Aqib Talib. His 4.51 at the combine will make him a 2nd rounder for sure. I just hope he lasts until the Bills select in round 2. If they snag a top CB and then Nelson on day one, I'll consider it a great success!

Strengths: Is a big, strong receiver. Big target with extremely reliable hands. Consistently catches the ball thrown over his head, can pluck on the run effortlessly and does a great job of securing the ball in traffic. Not afraid to go over the middle. He has functional speed for his size. Most impressive is his ability to get in and out of breaks so quickly, especially for a bigger receiver. Displayed much better initial quickness and burst as a senior than he had in previous seasons. He runs crisp routes. Converted high school quarterback, shows a great feel for running routes, finding soft spots in zone and coming back to his quarterbacks when initial play has broken down. Very tough, competitive runner after the catch. Also shows excellent vision to navigate through traffic both after the catch and in the return game. Will lower his shoulder and drag smaller DB's for extra few yards at the end of the play. Continues to improve with experience. High character player and hard worker.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed. Is not going to consistently get over the top of man-coverage as a vertical route runner. Runs hard and shows good vision but not overly elusive and doesn't display the second-gear necessary to run away from NFL defenders. Needs to improve technique and overall consistency as a blocker.

Overall: Nelson redshirted in 2003 and didn't see any action as a defensive back in 2004. He moved to wide receiver in 2005, appearing in 24 games (20 starts) over his sophomore and junior seasons (2005-'06). He had 84 receptions for 1,216 yards (14.5 average) and nine touchdowns during that span. Nelson was slowed by a knee injury in '06 but wouldn't sit out any games. Nelson was sensational as a senior, delivering 10.2 receptions for 133.4 receiving yards per game (both second in the nation) and 155.3 all-purpose yards per game (20th). His 2007 totals: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores; and two passing TDs (on four attempts) for 45 yards. Nelson capped off a ridiculously productive senior season with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl. While he lacks elite speed and athleticism, Nelson is quicker than people seem to think and he simply knows how to separate and make plays. He will likely slip to the third round of the upcoming draft but it wouldn't shock us if Nelson spends 10-plus productive seasons in the NFL as a possession No. 2 or No. 3 receiver.

The last sentence here IMO is complete BS. The kid has only played WR for three seasons. He's smart and hard working. I think he's going to get better and better as his career goes on. I think he will at least be a solid number two receiver. I also think if Buffalo took him in the second round it would not be a "reach pick" at all!

Unlike Hardy, Nelson gets props all over the place for being a very high character player, an attribute highly valued by the Bills. He also caught 10 passes for 137 yards against one of the top corners in this draft, Aqib Talib. His 4.51 at the combine will make him a 2nd rounder for sure. I just hope he lasts until the Bills select in round 2. If they snag a top CB and then Nelson on day one, I'll consider it a great success!

He's got a wife and kid and his off field character is impeccable too. One of the pre-draft mags said he's the kind of guy you'd want your daughter to marry.

And he's white, so I'm sure everyone here will have a big man crush on him. I was going to ask how long until someone puts him in their mock draft signature, but I see Steely Dan already has it. He even has the other board favorite Owen Schmitt.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want the Bills to draft a WR in round 2 unless it's Kelly who fell though the cracks. I just think that you can get a guy just as good if not better in the 4th round. Guys like Hubbard or Jackson as mentioned above.

The Bills need to either take DRC, Harvey or Albert with #11 (value over need) or they need to try to trade back add a 3rd round pick and target the need picks in Thomas or Sweed later in the 1st. If they go with DRC, Harvey or Albert I don't want the Bills to be chasing that WR position when they will find a player with very similar skills and ability with that fourth round pick. The Bills would be much better served adding Dan Conner, Lawrence Jackson or Fred Davis rather than a Jordy Nelson. If we don't get Thomas, Sweed or Kelly forget about receiver till the fourth. Then take a couple of flyers with the extra picks in the later rounds. That's how I'd presently go about things.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want the Bills to draft a WR in round 2 unless it's Kelly who fell though the cracks. I just think that you can get a guy just as good if not better in the 4th round. Guys like Hubbard or Jackson as mentioned above.

The Bills need to either take DRC, Harvey or Albert with #11 (value over need) or they need to try to trade back add a 3rd round pick and target the need picks in Thomas or Sweed later in the 1st. If they go with DRC, Harvey or Albert I don't want the Bills to be chasing that WR position when they will find a player with very similar skills and ability with that fourth round pick. The Bills would be much better served adding Dan Conner, Lawrence Jackson or Fred Davis rather than a Jordy Nelson. If we don't get Thomas, Sweed or Kelly forget about receiver till the fourth. Then take a couple of flyers with the extra picks in the later rounds. That's how I'd presently go about things.

I get what you're saying, but ultimately WR is by far our biggest need. Therefore waiting until round 4 is insanity. Expect the Bills to address the WR position in round one or two.

His senior year, he didn't have less than 82 receiving yards in a game.

In terms of college competition, he put up good to very good numbers against

Talib of KU

Pat Lee of Auburn

Wheatley of Colorado

and everyone at the U of Texas.

His numbers weren't that high in his junior year because he suffered a knee injury early and limped through most of the year.

Alot would depend on what the Chiefs do in the first round, (if they don't take an LT in the first), but I wonder whether he makes it past them in the 2nd.

Here's what they're Chief of Scouting says about him.

http://blogs.cjonline.com/index.php?entry=6241

The comments are so laudatory, so effusive, you wonder if the guy isn't putting you on.

Not stretching the truth, per se, but maybe over-waxing eloquently about the local guy because, well, he's the local guy.

But Chuck Cook, the Chiefs director of college scouting, wasn't blowing smoke in Jordy Nelson's direction just because the player in question is a Kansas favorite (Riley County native and Kansas State player).

"No way," Cook said almost indignantly when asked if he was padding his Senior Bowl report on Nelson, a player he's watched more often than some other prospects.

"Look, I even asked some of the defensive backs (on Nelson's North squad) who they thought was the most impressive receiver out here, and they said Jordy Nelson," Cook said. "They said they didn't realize how big the guy is and how deceptive his speed is. I tell you, the guy's got play-speed."

I get what you're saying, but ultimately WR is by far our biggest need. Therefore waiting until round 4 is insanity. Expect the Bills to address the WR position in round one or two.

Insanity is expecting a rookie wide out to come in and be more productive than Josh Reed.....(Not that Josh is a #2....)

Insanity is expecting a rookie wide out to come in and be more productive than Josh Reed.....(Not that Josh is a #2....)

True.

However, nobody is gonna ask him to catch 100 balls for 1200 yards. He's gonna be asked to use his height to take attention away from Evans, make defences respect our passing game, therefore opening up the running game for Marshawn, and aiding Edwards in his development. WR is one of the hardest positions to learn, but I think catching 8 TDs is a realistic expectation for a big WR should we draft one.

There's no way you can tell me that a rookie WR couldn't help us out. He's not gonna be asked to be a star, or even a number one, at least not right away.

I can easily see a rookie WR contributing right away netting 40-50 balls for around 500 yards and 6-8 TDs, provided he's a tall one.

The guy sounds like a steal in Round 3. I doubt he lasts that long in the draft and I don't see the Bills waiting that long to address the WR position. I wouldn't mind having him on our team but I'd rather get a guy like Sweed or Devin Thomas.

The guy sounds like a steal in Round 3. I doubt he lasts that long in the draft and I don't see the Bills waiting that long to address the WR position. I wouldn't mind having him on our team but I'd rather get a guy like Sweed or Devin Thomas.

Nelson will be gone by our third pick. If we are going to reach I would much rather do it with my second for this player than with my first. Nelson will be a solid posession receiver for the next 10 years. He is solid. committed and he will be a quick study. He will be our number 2 guy next year. Exactly what we need.

Pick Nelson with our number 2 pick and sign Eric Moulds to bring him along. Were good to go next year.

If this guy is running a 4.5 I do not want him as a #2. I want a 4.3 to low 4.4 guy that will drag a safety, nickel corner, or linebacker away from the other offensive players. I want to scare the hell out def. coord's. everywhere.

You're placing far to much emphasis on speed... A 4.5 WR that is a good route runner with quick acceleration can be more effective than a speedy WR that cannot disguise his routes....

If this guy is running a 4.5 I do not want him as a #2. I want a 4.3 to low 4.4 guy that will drag a safety, nickel corner, or linebacker away from the other offensive players. I want to scare the hell out def. coord's. everywhere.

We already have two burners in Roscoe and Evans. We need a big possesion guy with decent speed, he doesn't need to be a burner.

We already have two burners in Roscoe and Evans. We need a big possesion guy with decent speed, he doesn't need to be a burner.

Exactly. I've been saying this for a long time. Thank you for re-oterating my point.

We don't need a burner. Period. We need a guy with size who can win jump balls and use his size to his advantage in the redzone. That's all.

Exactly. I've been saying this for a long time. Thank you for re-oterating my point.

We don't need a burner. Period. We need a guy with size who can win jump balls and use his size to his advantage in the redzone. That's all.

We also need a "go to guy " on third down.

Someone Trent can trust to run the right route, and a WR who doesn't have alligator arms in the middle of the field.

Jordy Nelson is flying up the draft charts and IMHO will be a second round pick.

He'd be a great addition to our team.