This franchise has been mismanaged for so long

Adam

First, the QB situation. Bringing Bledsoe in WAS a good move- getting rid of him when we did wasn't a good move. We gave up too much to get him to give up that quickly. If we didn't have a bunch of lunks up front, he would have don't much better. If we didn't clean house offensively after his one good season here he would have done better. Yet Donahoe knew that if he picked up defensive free agents in that offseason, that all the knowledgable fans in Buffalo would forget the losses on offense and still buy tickets. "Best fan in the league" eh?

We traded and used how many draft picks for Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman and Trent Edwards while our offensive and defensive lines fell into a state of decay? JP Losman NEVER should have stepped on the field the year he was drafted, nor the following year. The Bills should have told the impatient fans to shut up and hand over their money. The Jaguars were patient with David Gerrard, and they developed him the right way. Losman had to put up with everybody's stupid dreams and expectations. Now Edwards is headed down that road. I wonder if we trade any more first or second rounders to satisfy fans who don't want to be satisfied.

Our offensive line is a strength? PLEASE! Its less of a weakness. We have a center that guys plowed and an overrated right tackle that can't run block like the 350 pounder he is. We still don't know about Butler, so he gets a pass.

We rip Aaron Schobel for having a down season in sacks. He may have had his best season, and I still think he is overrrated and overpriced. He is a good pass rusher, but we need a studd opposite him- he is a complimentary player. The other ends are special teamers. Stroud is a start at DT and Johnson and McCargo are solid backups until proven otherwise. Neither are what Jeff Wright was- remember all those sacks of Marino?

Now with all the wasted draft picks, we have to play a Roscoe at WR. This guy needs to stay on special teams and go to the locker room when the offense takes the field. volatile weapon? Comparable to Wes Welker? Please, stop being a homer and try watching the game. He is nothing like Welker. he is a joke and should be laughed at. Welker led the league and he was a great WR before the trade...and don't give me stats, I watch football, I'm not a fantasy football simpleton.

We are paying for Donahoe's overuse of free agency- something that we won't need for a long time. Free agency is to get the final pieces, not to build a team. In Free Agency if you whiff, you pay big time, and thats what we are doing and will be doing for awhile. It may be another decade until we see playoffs.

Now go listen to the simpletons at WGR with their creativity, which is what it is, since they don't believe their own garbage

Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

I dunno, I think their chances this year are slightly better than last. They lost practically no one, and they've got a ton of young players gaining experience. Take it one step at a time... I think it is realistic to see this team in serious contention for a playoff spot in 2008. Winning a playoff game is a different story, but rather than say the next 10 years are a waste of time, let's just see what happens.

Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

I dunno, I think their chances this year are slightly better than last. They lost practically no one, and they've got a ton of young players gaining experience. Take it one step at a time... I think it is realistic to see this team in serious contention for a playoff spot in 2008. Winning a playoff game is a different story, but rather than say the next 10 years are a waste of time, let's just see what happens.

Hey, wonderful if they surprise me, I don't see them making the playoffs but if they do, great.

Neither line is nearly good enough, we have no weapons at WR other than Evans, and we threw Edwards into the fire- he will get burned just like Losman did and he will become Losman.

If the Bills have been mismanaged the last ten years, then so has about 20 other NFL franchises. I bet if you talk to fans of any number of teams they would tell you that circus chimps could do a better job than their respective front offices. The truth is it takes smarts and no small amount of luck to win a Super Bowl...unless you're the Patriots. Then you just cheat.

PTR

If the Bills have been mismanaged the last ten years, then so has about 20 other NFL franchises. I bet if you talk to fans of any number of teams they would tell you that circus chimps could do a better job than their respective front offices. The truth is it takes smarts and no small amount of luck to win a Super Bowl...unless you're the Patriots. Then you just cheat.

PTR

I don't expect a superbowl win- everything has to line up right for that. I want a good football team, and we haven't been close in a long time

I think perhaps this post has a bit much in the gloom and doom department. I certainly agree that the biggest problems for a significant period of time have been up front on both sides of the ball. However, that being said, I do think that the team has taken significant steps to address those needs.

First, the O-line got a significant overhaul last year, and Dockery and Walker have been very good. If you look at Walker's statistics from last year, he wasn't nearly as bad as you are suggesting. Dockery was a very solid player and Peters is showing that he is an elite left tackle. The questions are at RG and C. I absolutely agree that Melvin Fowler is at best a back-up C. Buffalo should be looking to get Mike Pollack in the third round this year and solidify that position. RG is a bit of a different story. Whittle is capable if he doesn't get hurt, but I think Butler is good enough to start and will play well this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo drafted this position either. A sleeper pick at #11 is Branden Alberts from UVa.

I also think you are overly critical about the fixes on D-Line. Marcus Stroud and Spencer Johnson are both very good players, and adding McCargo and Williams makes this one of the better rotations in the league. Schobel and Kelsay should also have better production up front with the pressure from these guys. Buffalo's D was hit horribly hard last year with injury and a lot of our better talent was on the sidelines for most or all of the season. With those players back and the shoring up of the D-line and the LB corps, Buffalo's problems are at CB and with depth. Those can be addressed adequately in the draft. The D-line isn't the problem, though getting some talented depth wouldn't hurt.

Buffalo needs to get weapons for Edwards to throw to and make plays. The line gave him a lot of time last year and he did fairly well when given the opportunity. If he had a legitimate number 2 target and a TE who could make a catch down the field, the offense will be scoring at least a touchdown more a game, if not 10 points more. Edwards was clearly a step ahead of JP with the offense and his ability to make quick decisions when the pressure was on. For a Rook he looked pretty good. Getting him that experience early, and having the team show confidence in him, will make him the anti-JP not the next JP. I do think the Bills will be better and with the way the FO has been handling the off-season I certainly don't think we will have to wait ten more years before we even make it back to the playoffs.

BTW where's all that trust in the front office you had not so long ago?

BTW where's all that trust in the front office you had not so long ago?

Never said they are being mismanaged now. The mistakes of the past aren't going to disappear though. I work in stats. Stats are overrated and so is Walker. I am happy with Peters and Dockery. Butler has showed some promise. Walker is not a guy who does much for the running game and he is adequate in pass blocking. We can do much better.

Schobel can be a very good player. I am happy with the aquisitions of Stroud and Johnson and I think McCargo is promising, but its not enough.

Do you remember Bruce Smith Ted Washington and Phil Hansen up front with Bennett and Paup at linebacker and a strong secondary? The current group isn't close

Never said they are being mismanaged now. The mistakes of the past aren't going to disappear though. I work in stats. Stats are overrated and so is Walker. I am happy with Peters and Dockery. Butler has showed some promise. Walker is not a guy who does much for the running game and he is adequate in pass blocking. We can do much better.

Schobel can be a very good player. I am happy with the aquisitions of Stroud and Johnson and I think McCargo is promising, but its not enough.

Do you remember Bruce Smith Ted Washington and Phil Hansen up front with Bennett and Paup at linebacker and a strong secondary? The current group isn't close

Do you remember that rome wasnt built in a day? or the Bills of old? patience Adam We will get better sooner than later but lets wait til the draft before we rip our management a new !@#$

First, the QB situation. Bringing Bledsoe in WAS a good move

Trading away our first round pick for an aging player the Patriots no longer wanted was a short-sighted and stupid move.

getting rid of him when we did wasn't a good move.

Yes, it was. Other than his first eight games, what did Bledsoe do for Dallas?

We gave up too much to get him to give up that quickly.

What we gave for him was a sunk cost--a sunk cost we should never have paid in the first place.

If we didn't have a bunch of lunks up front, he would have don't much better.

The line played well in the second half of 2004; but Bledsoe's play was still mediocre.

We traded and used how many draft picks for Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman and Trent Edwards while our offensive and defensive lines fell into a state of decay? JP Losman NEVER should have stepped on the field the year he was drafted, nor the following year.

Losman took what? All of three snaps his rookie year? And it's not unheard-of to put a quarterback on the field during his second year in the league.

The Bills should have told the impatient fans to shut up and hand over their money. The Jaguars were patient with David Gerrard, and they developed him the right way.

Giving Losman an extra year on the bench wouldn't have made him into David Garrard.

Losman had to put up with everybody's stupid dreams and expectations.

Of what first round QB is that not the case?

Now Edwards is headed down that road. I wonder if we trade any more first or second rounders to satisfy fans who don't want to be satisfied.

Are you saying the switch from Losman to Edwards was done merely to please fickle fans? That would be an . . . interesting interpretation of the situation.

Now with all the wasted draft picks, we have to play a Roscoe at WR. This guy needs to stay on special teams and go to the locker room when the offense takes the field. volatile weapon? Comparable to Wes Welker? Please, stop being a homer and try watching the game. He is nothing like Welker.

I agree Roscoe isn't comparable to Wes Welker; and that his production up to this point hasn't justified his 2nd round draft status.

We are paying for Donahoe's overuse of free agency- something that we won't need for a long time. Free agency is to get the final pieces, not to build a team. In Free Agency if you whiff, you pay big time, and thats what we are doing and will be doing for awhile. It may be another decade until we see playoffs.

I agree with your criticisms of Donahoe, but you're being unduly pessimistic about how long it will take to dig out of the mess he created. If the Bills keep drafting like they have the past two years, and if they keep key players like Evans, they will reach the playoffs sooner rather than later.