ESPN Scouts, Inc. article on Bills 08 Draft

Scouts, Inc draft analysis from ESPN.com

The top two positions Buffalo must address in the draft are cornerback and wide receiver. A big wideout who would be a threat in the red zone would definitely help their scoring. The Bills were 30th in scoring last season, averaging 15.8 points. If TE Courtney Anderson comes through with a big year, that would help, but it's tough to depend on him because he's been extremely inconsistent throughout his career. As much as a wide receiver is a need, cornerback might be an even more pressing one as the Bills only have one proven corner on the roster.

I completely disagree with the article. I feel that there are much worse needs than cb. I think that at#11, cb might be the best player available in the draft... I feel that McGee is a legit #1, that Greer is a legit#2/3, think that James is a legit #2/3, and Youboty is the young guy that could steal any one of their positions based on athletism. I mean, why are they are assuming that the Bills have a BIG need at cb? If they had done better research they would have at least considered how well Greer played, and that the Bills already have a tremendously talented unproven young cb who has shown promise and is truely a victim of a very unfortunate death to his mother that stunted his developement. He has no other mature family and a younger sibling. I have a strong feeling that the kindness of Dick Jauron had everything to do with him missing most of his rookie year. I know what kind of guy Dick is. Think of him as a 2nd year player that slipped out of the first rd. He was a junior when drafted, and is foreign. He is at offseason workouts and is one of the few players who is sticking sround for good this offseason. My guess is now that his siblings are out of high school, he is going to repay coach Jauron with a commitment level to this team that will make all of us fans proud. I think that it would be a big mistake to draft anything but some late round depth in the secondary. With that being said, I will really like whoever the Bills pick. I'm a fan :unsure:

A team can never have too many CB's. Greer and McGee are adequate and Greer has had great moments but another CB is a must IMO. A big CB that can support the run and cover bigger receivers would be great. A guy like Reggie Smith fits that perfectly.

Did anyone actually see Greer play last year? He was better than McGee

apparently they didn't. I'm still struggling to see how a 1st round corner really makes sense. The best justification seems to be a BPA argument. But I think it would be a major hurdle for them to honestly beat out Greer or James this year- assuming they weren't just handed the job for being a first rounder.

Also I wonder if DRC would be as beloved if his last name didn't have Cromartie in it. I like his shut-down coverage corner potential, but his production wasn't anything special against small school talent and he's not much of a tackler.

I thought that scouting report was spot on.

Maybe I think Greer, McGee, James, and Youboty are way better than they really are. But don't you think that WR, TE, FB, C, and depth at DE, QB, OG, OT, and OLB are more pressing issues? If the Bills drafted all of these positions they could still draft a CB because they have 10 picks... I wouldn't be upset with anybody with the last name Cromartie in the secondary. But I think cb should be more of a depth pick than a position of high priority. All of the listed positions are lacking talent. The Bills at least have talent in the secondary. Size is the concern. It would make me sad if the Bills drafted a 5'8"- 5'11" cb.

I completely disagree with the article. I feel that there are much worse needs than cb. I think that at#11, cb might be the best player available in the draft... I feel that McGee is a legit #1, that Greer is a legit#2/3, think that James is a legit #2/3, and Youboty is the young guy that could steal any one of their positions based on athletism. I mean, why are they are assuming that the Bills have a BIG need at cb? If they had done better research they would have at least considered how well Greer played, and that the Bills already have a tremendously talented unproven young cb who has shown promise and is truely a victim of a very unfortunate death to his mother that stunted his developement. He has no other mature family and a younger sibling. I have a strong feeling that the kindness of Dick Jauron had everything to do with him missing most of his rookie year. I know what kind of guy Dick is. Think of him as a 2nd year player that slipped out of the first rd. He was a junior when drafted, and is foreign. He is at offseason workouts and is one of the few players who is sticking sround for good this offseason. My guess is now that his siblings are out of high school, he is going to repay coach Jauron with a commitment level to this team that will make all of us fans proud. I think that it would be a big mistake to draft anything but some late round depth in the secondary. With that being said, I will really like whoever the Bills pick. I'm a fan :unsure:

You would be in the small minority who feel that way.

The secondary was bad last year, and probably the weakest unit on the team right now, other than receivers. They gave up

more 20 + yard receptions than any other team in the league!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...amp;Submit=Find

The secondary was bad last year, and probably the weakest unit on the team right now, other than receivers. They gave up

So how do you feel about it? Why was the secondary so bad, and in your opinion it was because McGee and or Greer were inadequate?

until the bills bone up their front seven, i don't care if jesus christ lines up at CB... he's going to get toasted unless the Bills can put he heat on the QB.

Bills have 5 LBs... 3 starters a competent backup in the middle, then Ellison. That's scary. If Stroud goes down, or gets busted for roids again, we're back to where we were last season. So... a competent OLB and a DT, to be heir to Stroud, better be in the bills crosshairs or it is going to be another long season on the same freakin traedmill

wow, no offense DOD, but I'm glad you won't be in the War Room on draft day. You are placing a lot of hope for Youboty to all of a sudden flick the switch b/c maybe some of his hardships now being behind him?

Also, at CB, we are one injury away from being in desperation mode....b/c quite frankly we don't know how James is going to play for us.

I think a top corner would create tough competition and increase much needed depth in the secondary.....a secondary that must face the likes of Randy Moss twice (possibly more than twice) this year.

also, not sure what you mean by this line:

I think that at#11, cb might be the best player available in the draft...

Maybe I think Greer, McGee, James, and Youboty are way better than they really are. But don't you think that WR, TE, FB, C, and depth at DE, QB, OG, OT, and OLB are more pressing issues? If the Bills drafted all of these positions they could still draft a CB because they have 10 picks... I wouldn't be upset with anybody with the last name Cromartie in the secondary. But I think cb should be more of a depth pick than a position of high priority. All of the listed positions are lacking talent. The Bills at least have talent in the secondary. Size is the concern. It would make me sad if the Bills drafted a 5'8"- 5'11" cb.

So if Mrs. Cromartie declared you'd like to see the Bills take her?! :D

until the bills bone up their front seven, i don't care if jesus christ lines up at CB... he's going to get toasted unless the Bills can put he heat on the QB.

Bills have 5 LBs... 3 starters a competent backup in the middle, then Ellison. That's scary. If Stroud goes down, or gets busted for roids again, we're back to where we were last season. So... a competent OLB and a DT, to be heir to Stroud, better be in the bills crosshairs or it is going to be another long season on the same freakin traedmill

What are you going to say if the Bills make the playoffs this year. You'll have to get off the treadmill to the same comments. :unsure:

wow, no offense DOD, but I'm glad you won't be in the War Room on draft day. You are placing a lot of hope for Youboty to all of a sudden flick the switch b/c maybe some of his hardships now being behind him?

Also, at CB, we are one injury away from being in desperation mode....b/c quite frankly we don't know how James is going to play for us.

I think a top corner would create tough competition and increase much needed depth in the secondary.....a secondary that must face the likes of Randy Moss twice (possibly more than twice) this year.

According to the "big board" is what I mean. If you see my post replying to Lets go Bills, that is what I think the Bills biggest needs are and somewhat better explains my thoughts on the matter. I do see your way of thinking. I'm not in complete disagreement with drafting a cb in the 1st rd. I just disagree that it is a position of GREAT need. Depth is needed, competition is inevitable.

Optimally Youboty would click on and the Bills would have a high draft pick and they would have great CB depth.

I'd be inclined to go with the wide receiver. Very different from my strong feelings the last four years for a defensive lineman, but our scoring is our weakest area...period. Evans is terrific and I think strengthening the receiver corps is the biggest bang for the buck. Greer is looking good, Williams and Youbooty are backing things up. Actually I'd be awfully tempted to think about a tight end choice as well, but that is a bit of a stretch.

I think a big part of that stat has something to do with us not getting anywhere near the QB. So I'll take that stat and say that Harvey is the best fit for us. If the QB has only 3 sec. to throw and not 6 or 7 then we will cut down those 20 yard receptions.

I'd be inclined to go with the wide receiver. Very different from my strong feelings the last four years for a defensive lineman, but our scoring is our weakest area...period. Evans is terrific and I think strengthening the receiver corps is the biggest bang for the buck. Greer is looking good, Williams and Youbooty are backing things up. Actually I'd be awfully tempted to think about a tight end choice as well, but that is a bit of a stretch.

Aint our mamas the same? :unsure:

Seriously, I really see things like you do. In fact, If the Bills hit on TE, the height at Wr isn't as big a deal. I think the Bills should draft in order: rd1-WR, rd2-TE, rd3-C, rd4a-FB, rd4b-DE, rd5-OLB, rd6-QB, rd7a-OT, rd7b-OG, rd7c-CB.

I also realize that if somebody slides very far they will take them, so they have to be prepared to adjust and find value in each rd knowing that you can't get all of your needs... The main thing is that we don't ignore the TE position in rd2. I say if any position other than wr is drafted in rd1, then they should wait til rd3 to draft the WR because the most value at TE is in the 2nd. maybe

So how do you feel about it? Why was the secondary so bad, and in your opinion it was because McGee and or Greer were inadequate?

Thanks for asking.

1. I think the pass rush was horrible, very little preasure. QBs had all day to throw. Beginning of the problem.

2. The CBs gave up too many yards and too many completions.

3. Greer wouldn't have even been out there had not Webster gone down

4. Youboty has been a zero. No excuses, sorry. I can't imagine an NFL team counting on him at this point.

5. I've never seen a team give up more '3rd and long' plays than last year. Maybe it's just me.

They got burned short, they got burned long, they got burned on 3rd, they got burned all day.

I know the D-line was bad, but I don't recall them getting many coverage sacks either.