Must win for Sabres. Meaningless game for Toronto

stevestojan

Countless? The Sabres outshot the Leafs nearly 2-to-1 and outchanced them by a wider margin than that.

I realize the Sabres were going for the win, but the Leafs had some serious sitters that a good team would've buried. There are glaring defensive lapses, especially by the forwards in the defensive zone. When Miller's save percentage is .870, it doesn't take much more than 25 shots to beat them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, don't ruin it for the people who subtract this years point total from last years point total to tell them how much "heart" the team doesn't have.

Hahahaha, yeah, I've watched 80 games and seen this team leave points all over the place. I've seen lackluster effort that has become more the norm than the exception. Let's pat them on the back for nearly eliminating themselves with four games left because they haven't thrown in the towel yet. Montreal is playing for the East top seed and they will probably lay the wood tomorrow night. Call it pessimistic if you want, but you feel free to show me a big game that the Sabres have won this year. Beating the AHL Leafs doesn't qualify.

They've given up an inordinate amount of 3rd period leads, and tried their best to give the game away last night. Goalposts, inaccurate shooting, and a timely save (which has been missing) is the only reason they're still alive.

Firstly, after all the shots Sabres fans have taken at the Leafs and their fans the last few years, it a was relief that the Leafs did not end the Sabres chances at the playoffs. It is also nice that, while I don't think the Sabres are going to make the playoffs, neither will the Leafs. Why these two teams weren't in the same division for all those years is another wonder of the NHL Foresight Committee. Remember the link about the beach ball going in the Leafs net? Classic!

As for reality, it was the Leafs, a team the Sabres needed to beat the last time they played about two weeks ago. I am afraid it is too little too late. There were times (again) last night when the Sabres looked like they were killing a penalty but they weren't killing a penalty. The Sabres struggled to get the puck past their blue line. I don't fault Miller for much of what happened last night, other than the embarrassing goal in the shootout. The wrap-around goal was poorly defensed. I thought Miller excelled in the shootout. As each team went down their list of shooters they became more reluctant to deke instead opting for direct shots. Afinogenov played to his strengths, skating and stickhandling. And then... yes, finishing!

The bottom line is that the Sabres battled back when they could have quit. I wish the Swords did that earlier in the season. If the season is doomed let this comeback help build for next year. But I demand and expect solid efforts in the last two games. This team lost some key players but they should have done better than this. The Sabres should dedicate some of their offseason to improving their shootout productivity. I will give credit to the Leafs goalie Raycroft, who made some very good stops (38 - 41).

By the way, three former Sabres (Grier, Brown and Campbell) scored last night in San Jose's 5-2 win over the Kings.

It is great news to hear that Teppo Numminem has been cleared to play. A kid on my high school team was diagnosed with a murmur and his career was immediately done.

Hahahaha, yeah, I've watched 80 games and seen this team leave points all over the place. I've seen lackluster effort that has become more the norm than the exception. Let's pat them on the back for nearly eliminating themselves with four games left because they haven't thrown in the towel yet. Montreal is playing for the East top seed and they will probably lay the wood tomorrow night. Call it pessimistic if you want, but you feel free to show me a big game that the Sabres have won this year. Beating the AHL Leafs doesn't qualify.

They've given up an inordinate amount of 3rd period leads, and tried their best to give the game away last night. Goalposts, inaccurate shooting, and a timely save (which has been missing) is the only reason they're still alive.

Now try watching every other team in the Eastern Conference. You'll see EXACTLY the same thing. It's hockey and most of the time it's a cruel sport.

Now try watching every other team in the Eastern Conference. You'll see EXACTLY the same thing. It's hockey and most of the time it's a cruel sport.

Try? I have.

And I've watched the West extensively.

The East is pathetic, and the fact that the Sabres are currrently out of the playoff picture in that conference is even more disheartening. But please feel free to make more excuses for a weak defense, complacent forwards, and average goaltending.

Chalking it up to, "That's hockey" is brilliant. Thanks for the insight.

Try? I have.

And I've watched the West extensively.

The East is pathetic, and the fact that the Sabres are currrently out of the playoff picture in that conference is even more disheartening. But please feel free to make more excuses for a weak defense, complacent forwards, and average goaltending.

How is pointing out the obvious "making excuses"? The east isn't "pathetic", it's simply got tremendous parity. The Sabres are on the outside looking in because they've been terrible in OT and the shootout. Add losing 4 of their top 6 defensemen for significant portions of the season and it's not a surprise they're not quite there. They look a lot like they did last season (sans the 10 game win streak to start the year) except they're not getting the timely goal they got last season.

The West has 4 really good teams and everyone else looks exactly like the East. Welcome to the salary cap era. I won't be surprised at all if NONE of the 4 really good teams ends up in the Cup finals. Interestingly, 3 of the 4 teams have ALL of the elite defensemen currently in the NHL not named Chara.

Chalking it up to, "That's hockey" is brilliant. Thanks for the insight.

Sorry you took it so personally.

Which four teams?

How is pointing out the obvious "making excuses"? The east isn't "pathetic", it's simply got tremendous parity. The Sabres are on the outside looking in because they've been terrible in OT and the shootout. Add losing 4 of their top 6 defensemen for significant portions of the season and it's not a surprise they're not quite there. They look a lot like they did last season (sans the 10 game win streak to start the year) except they're not getting the timely goal they got last season.

The West has 4 really good teams and everyone else looks exactly like the East. Welcome to the salary cap era. I won't be surprised at all if NONE of the 4 really good teams ends up in the Cup finals. Interestingly, 3 of the 4 teams have ALL of the elite defensemen currently in the NHL not named Chara.

Sorry you took it so personally.

How so? If Boston loses in the next game, and we win our next, that final game would be for the playoffs.

You're forgetting about the Crapitals.

To make the playoffs, the Sabres have to win their final 2 games and then have 2 of the following 3 things happen:

1. BOS loses their final 2 games in regulation - OTT and BUF

2. PHI loses their final 2 games (1 can be in OT) - NJ and PIT

3. WAS loses their final 2 games (1 could be in OT) - TB and FLA