Must win for Sabres. Meaningless game for Toronto

stevestojan

How is pointing out the obvious "making excuses"? The east isn't "pathetic", it's simply got tremendous parity.

There is parity in the East, but they seem to be playing a different game from the West. Rough, hard hitting, punishing, consistent, disciplined hockey in the West. The top teams in the East don't stack up...More of a skaters conference, though less so this year than the past two years.

The Sabres are on the outside looking in because they've been terrible in OT and the shootout.

Looking at the points, it's impossible to argue that. I realize that the shootout has an impact on the standings (just look at NYI qualifying in game 82 last year in a shootout) but I am of the opinion that the Sabres are on the outside looking in because Max, Stafford, and Kotalik have not performed, and the defense...

Add losing 4 of their top 6 defensemen for significant portions of the season and it's not a surprise they're not quite there. They look a lot like they did last season (sans the 10 game win streak to start the year) except they're not getting the timely goal they got last season.

Injuries have played a role for every single team in the NHL this season. Were you satisfied, as a fan, with the defensemen they came into the 07-08 season with? Hank Tallinder has defined injury-prone. Spacek and Kalinin were unplayable in the playoffs. Campbell didn't have an extension. Lydman has been terrible the past two seasons whenever Hank has been injured (which has been often.) Numminen has a bad ticker and 22 years of professional wear-and-tear. You can say it's the injuries, I just think they're not that good.

The West has 4 really good teams and everyone else looks exactly like the East. Welcome to the salary cap era. I won't be surprised at all if NONE of the 4 really good teams ends up in the Cup finals. Interestingly, 3 of the 4 teams have ALL of the elite defensemen currently in the NHL not named Chara.

Completely agree. [Hence the rant above about the defensemen...Or, I guess, the rant about the front office for not picking up a defenseman and/or signing Soupy.]

Sorry you took it so personally.

Didn't mean to come off that way...I don't take any of the computer jazz personally.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is parity in the East, but they seem to be playing a different game from the West. Rough, hard hitting, punishing, consistent, disciplined hockey in the West. The top teams in the East don't stack up...More of a skaters conference, though less so this year than the past two years.

I'd say they don't stack up but the only reason is because of defensemen. The Red Wings don't play a punishing or hard hitting game but they do have Rafalski and Lidstrom. I'm curious to see if they can stand up to what has been their achillies heel in the past. I don't think they will.

Looking at the points, it's impossible to argue that. I realize that the shootout has an impact on the standings (just look at NYI qualifying in game 82 last year in a shootout) but I am of the opinion that the Sabres are on the outside looking in because Max, Stafford, and Kotalik have not performed, and the defense...

Kotalik has been himself - about what is expected given they generally don't give him what he needs for success. Stafford is a sophomore and has been played with about every combo - a victim of Lindy's experimentation. Max is one of my least favorite NHL players ever. Dude just frustrates me.

Injuries have played a role for every single team in the NHL this season. Were you satisfied, as a fan, with the defensemen they came into the 07-08 season with? Hank Tallinder has defined injury-prone. Spacek and Kalinin were unplayable in the playoffs. Campbell didn't have an extension. Lydman has been terrible the past two seasons whenever Hank has been injured (which has been often.) Numminen has a bad ticker and 22 years of professional wear-and-tear. You can say it's the injuries, I just think they're not that good.

Tallinder has all the tools but hasn't been right since the Carolina ECFs injury. He shows flashes. I wasn't worried about Spacek (I don't know what the hell happened last year but the guy is a really good player). There just aren't a ton of good defensemen in the NHL and there never has been and that fact is magnified a bunch when you try to be a transition team and win with offense.

I've beaten it to death, but I doubt I'll ever forgive the front office for passing on Phaneuf. Ever.

Completely agree. [Hence the rant above about the defensemen...Or, I guess, the rant about the front office for not picking up a defenseman and/or signing Soupy.]

I like Campbell at between 4 and 5 per. The Sabres blew any chance at that by letting him start this season without a new deal. He's not worth anywhere near what he's going to get this offseason. He's gonna get Boyle money or better. That's just sick when you compare him to guys like Pronger, Zubov, Chara, Lidstrom, and Neidermeyer.

Didn't mean to come off that way...I don't take any of the computer jazz personally.

Cool.

I like Campbell at between 4 and 5 per. The Sabres blew any chance at that by letting him start this season without a new deal. He's not worth anywhere near what he's going to get this offseason. He's gonna get Boyle money or better. That's just sick when you compare him to guys like Pronger, Zubov, Chara, Lidstrom, and Neidermeyer.

I can't even imagine what the elite defensemen like those guys (minus Chara) would get now if they ever actually hit the open market. We're talking $10 million per year here.