Derrick Harvey

Visit My Website

:Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: Started all thirteen games at left defensive end, helping the Gators lead the league and rank tenth nationally in run defense (103.31 ypg)…Recorded 49 tackles (31 solos), as he led the team and ranked tied for fifth in the SEC with 8.5 sacks for minus 63 yards…Paced the defense and placed fifth in the conference with 17 stops for losses of 89 yards, the tenth-best season total in school history…Registered three quarterback pressures and caused one fumble…Also deflected five passes…On 47 running plays directed into his area, the opposition was held to minus 28 yards (-0.6 avg), as he did not allow a rushing first down until the Capital One Bowl (gave up three vs. Michigan)…Made ten third-down tackles and one more on fourth-down activity…In addition to his 17 stops for losses, he stopped opposing ball carriers at the line of scrimmage for no gain on six other rushing attempts…Collected three of his tackles on goal-line stands…More than held his own vs. the offensive tackles (the main blocker that faced Harvey each week averaged out to 311 pounds). 14 GP; 5 GS; 35 TT, 13 TFL, 11 SK, 8 QBH, 1 FF; Stepping in for '07 draft pick Ray McDonald. 2nd team All-SEC in '06. 9 GP; 0 GS; 7 TT, 1 TFL, 1 SK, 1 PBU in '05. Redshirted in '04.

To be honest I really only watched Florida about 3-4 times last year and I was probably only tuned in when Tebow was on the field so I haven't seen much of Harvey but he sounds like a good pick @ 11.

1. Derrick Harvey

2. WR

3. TE

:thumbsup:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Visit My Website

To be honest I really only watched Florida about 3-4 times last year and I was probably only tuned in when Tebow was on the field so I haven't seen much of Harvey but he sounds like a good pick @ 11.

1. Derrick Harvey

2. WR

3. TE

:thumbsup:

I just watched Jake Long dominate Harvey all day in the Michigan game. There's a good chance Long will be going to Miami, I'm not against taking a DE but he doesn't look like the right guy.

He'd be a tremendous addition. Although I'm not gonna gawk at those stats, as more goes into run defense, then individual matchups, and a number of different factors could be involved, line stunts, gap control, how the olb is playing. dt's etc etc. He's probably the best natural fit for a 4-3 end, in a draft full of tweener potential 3-4 olb types.

Good DE, but why throw first round money at another DE?

Both of our DE's are already ridiculously overpaid, so why would we give a rotational player starters money?

I like him, I'm not saying he's not worthy of it, but I see no point.

Yeah it's not like we only got 26 sacks, and can't afford to drastically improve our pass rush. Let's ignore it, and keep it well below average.

Yeah it's not like we only got 26 sacks, and can't afford to drastically improve our pass rush. Let's ignore it, and keep it well below average.

You should check him out in the Michigan game against Jake Long, he looked like he never had a chance. Not worth an 11th round pick.

I just watched Jake Long dominate Harvey all day in the Michigan game. There's a good chance Long will be going to Miami, I'm not against taking a DE but he doesn't look like the right guy.

In a earlier discussion on Harvey, pro and con, someone brought up the same Long/Harvey game.

Another posters response was quite fitting:

" If you looked at Bruce Smith's games against Tony Boselli (and how Boselli generally dominated him) would you then not want Smith on your team?"

You should check him out in the Michigan game against Jake Long, he looked like he never had a chance. Not worth an 11th round pick.

Since when does one game make a career? Even bruce smith and reggie white got taken out of games. No I'm not saying harvey is either. I am saying he'd be a drastic upgrade over Kelsay.

Since when does one game make a career? Even bruce smith and reggie white got taken out of games. No I'm not saying harvey is either. I am saying he'd be a drastic upgrade over Kelsay.

Your right it doesn't make a career but he was DOMINATED, I mean it was like watching a boy against a man. He looked so undersized also. It's obvious from your avatar you like Harvey and I'm not a big fan of Kelsey either and the feel real need to upgrade but I'm just not sold on Harvey. It looks like Miami will take Jake Long also which is not good.

Just what do you think Stroud is going to do. Our interior line was weak last year. When no one on the interior line is drawing double teams the DEs don't get many opportunities to rush. That is very likely to change. An additional DE could help for depth but we don't need a first round DE who would sit on the bench and rotate in occasionally. If anything, another DT would better help our pass rush.

In a earlier discussion on Harvey, pro and con, someone brought up the same Long/Harvey game.

Another posters response was quite fitting:

" If you looked at Bruce Smith's games against Tony Boselli (and how Boselli generally dominated him) would you then not want Smith on your team?"

Bruce Smith had 22 sacks his junior year. How many did Harvey have?

That's kind of what worries me with Harvey. How much better is he than what the Bills have already? He's the 3rd or 4th best DE on most people's boards and posted a pretty mundane 8.5 sacks this year. I don't have the sack totals for their defense overall, but they were ranked 98th in the country this season allowing 258 yards per game. Opposing QBs completed just a shade under 60% against them and threw 19 TDs vs 11 INTs.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?ye...ef&site=org

So was he a difference-maker in their pass D? If he was, then their pass D must be truly awful without him. That's not to say he can't play, but I have a hard time believing that his addition is going to turn this into a great defense. He didn't at Florida and the Gators are hardly lacking in talent at that level of competition. He looks like a solid 1st round DE prospect, but not a gamechanger, IMO.

One update: I did find the Florida team defense stats. They had 29 QB sacks as a team in 13 games.

http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/07stats/uf.htm

Is that somehow related to the fact that Boselli dominated him?

You tell me. Your the one who brought up the comparison. You asked and paraphrasing" Tony Boselli dominated Bruce Smith in a game. Would you still want him on your team?" Yes I would because he's a much better DE then Harvey will ever be. Look at what Smith did in other games. Harvey looks like he will not be a defensive game changer like Smith was. Bad comparison.

1st play

Don't worry he will play against slow RT's in the NFL. Jake Long is a VERY good player, why he is going to be a top 5 pick.

He'd be great value in the 11th round : )

You tell me. Your the one who brought up the comparison. You asked and paraphrasing" Tony Boselli dominated Bruce Smith in a game. Would you still want him on your team?" Yes I would because he's a much better DE then Harvey will ever be. Look at what Smith did in other games. Harvey looks like he will not be a defensive game changer like Smith was. Bad comparison.

Here's a reply you should understand.

"Don't judge a player by one game in their entire college career."

Your right it doesn't make a career but he was DOMINATED, I mean it was like watching a boy against a man. He looked so undersized also. It's obvious from your avatar you like Harvey and I'm not a big fan of Kelsey either and the feel real need to upgrade but I'm just not sold on Harvey. It looks like Miami will take Jake Long also which is not good.

Sounds a lot like when Dwight Freeney went against Bryant McKinnie in college, looked like boy against man. McKinnie has had a decent career (certainly better than another tackle drafted 4 picks earlier by the Bills) but Freeney has gone on to be dominant. Also had 2 sacks against Minnesota when going against McKinnie again in 2004.

Good DE, but why throw first round money at another DE?

Both of our DE's are already ridiculously overpaid, so why would we give a rotational player starters money?

I like him, I'm not saying he's not worthy of it, but I see no point.

Funny

Ryan Denney

2008: $2.3 million, 2009: $2.4 million, 2010: Free Agent

Aaron Schobel

2008: $1.5 million, 2009: $3.5 million, 2010: $6.025 million, 2011-2012: $6.5 million, 2013: $8.5 million, 2014: Free Agent

Probley be cut or re-work deal in 2010ish

Chris Kelsay

2008: $1.4 million, 2009: $3 million, 2010: $3.7 million, 2011: Free Agent

Last years 11th pick

$16.655 million contract. The deal includes $12 million in guarantees. 2008: $370,000, 2009: $500,000, 2010: $760,000, 2011: $900,000, 2012: $900,000 (Voidable Year), 2013: Free Agent

Here's a reply you should understand.

"Don't judge a player by one game in their entire college career."

He's a reply you might be able to comprehend.

Don't compare two players who had very different college careers and talent levels and try to correlate the two by assuming every great player has a bad game.